Just Listen and Love !

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
TipperaryAnn

Just Listen and Love !

Post by TipperaryAnn » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Do you know what? I've had my fill of reviews. I've read PILES of them ( those of us lucky enough to have the CD since the 27th. are well beyond the "first impressions" stage by now) Goldin's Metacritics post is a handy source of various reviews, including the less adulatory ones which tend not to get posted to the Forum. Some are more interesting than others; most are just journalists doing their jobs.

As for earnest attempts here on the Forum to "analyze" the album, I think we should pay more attention to the lyrics of "Going Home" - Leonard "doesn't need a vision" - (I think of his friend Irving Layton's remark that "Leonard's mind has not been contaminated by a single idea"! ) To try to extract any coherent philosophy from this album or from any of LC 's work is a thankless task. (Although one which some people enjoy!) I like his comment that to perform an autopsy on a living thing is not a good idea. Like all poets he loves the sounds of words, the rhythm of a line, the vividness of imagery. It is not philosophy, it is certainly not theology, it is MUSIC. From now on I'm going to pump up the volume, sit back, and just listen and Love...!
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
Vicomte

Re: Just Listen and Love !

Post by Vicomte » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:49 pm

I'll go with that, Ann. ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:12 pm

I haven't read any of the reviews. Nor have I read any of the "analysis" of the album. I don't intend to read them either. I don't need to hear what other people think of it. I have listened to Old Ideas and, back home again after more than a week away, I finally have my hands on my very own copy of it - plus a CD drive to play it on. Put simply, I know what the album means to me already and I know which songs are my early favourites. My view is likely to change over time, but the comments of others, however meaningful or otherwise, will have no impact on this process.

As Ann says, Just Listen ......

Wendy
scocoh

Post by scocoh » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:08 pm

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:35 am

scocoh wrote:
You might entertain the possibility that others have a more open mind than you congratulate yourself for. ;-)
A wink doesn't mean you can be so damned patronising, I find that quite distasteful.

If you can't see the difference between what Ann had posted and the fluffy often nauseous posts that occur, then I suggest you are being deliberately obnoxious (and here I resist a wink).
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
scocoh

Post by scocoh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:21 am

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 264811403188 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:26 am

I can find something valuable in both arguments, but for me it helps a lot to read other people's reviews, particularly since I'm not an expert in understanding everything in the lyrics of a master like Leonard Cohen. It does not mean that I cannot just relax and let the music take over.

So let us all enjoy this new album the way we like and not get annoyed with other people's opinions. Yes, let us indeed listen and love, each in their own way.

Gerrida
GMKarsten
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:40 pm

scocoh wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
scocoh wrote:
You might entertain the possibility that others have a more open mind than you congratulate yourself for. ;-)
A wink doesn't mean you can be so damned patronising, I find that quite distasteful.

If you can't see the difference between what Ann had posted and the fluffy often nauseous posts that occur, then I suggest you are being deliberately obnoxious (and here I resist a wink).
My comment was in regards to more than that initial post here. She knows that. You do not.

Though I care very, very little about what you find distasteful, I can readily admit that you seem to be an expert at what constitutes "deliberately obnoxious". For now, however, I am content to know that you have found another thread in which to vent your spleen.

Oops--- almost forgot: ;-)
Ah yes, an accusation of "vent your spleen" isn't that the last chance reply when someone doesn't agree with someone else and therefore to try to back their own views up, accuse the other of venting their spleen. Sad really, as it is a mile off target but there you go.

Perhaps the Leonard Cohen shop sells crystal balls where one can see into what others have said to each other, it would save time, n'est ce pas? To the untrained eye, mine for instance, your post to Ann come over as quite sarcastic and all along, it was nowt but friendly banter, now who have Adam and Eve'd that............................wait for it.

;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Sorry guys but I think it is about time you took your private "conversation" private.

Thanks

Wendy
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:41 pm

scocoh wrote:
My comment was in regards to more than that initial post here. She knows that.
Ah, now it becomes clearer. You joined this thread not because you had anything interesting to contribute but just to get at me for something I said elsewhere. I have no intention of checking all my posts to see which one might have ruffled your feathers. Did I dare to give an opinion which differed from yours? I have seen you take offence very quickly with anyone who does that, for example on the "listening plans" thread.

As your opening sweetener you say you agree with me about reviews. You don't. Check back: I say I have read "piles of reviews", you say you "hardly ever read any of them" - we find ourselves on different sides... I am obviously not anti-review, and I enjoy reading them after I have listened a lot and formed my own impressions first. It can be fascinating to see such varied responses - what one finds uplifting another finds depressing, etc., etc. Then, having opened my mind to what others think, I am happy to leave further analysis to those who enjoy it more while I get on with listening to the music. As simple as that.

And yes, I agree with Vicomte - there is something obnoxious about adding a wink to your tirade. If you want to launch an attack you should do so without that coy cop-out!
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote:Sorry guys but I think it is about time you took your private "conversation" private.

Thanks

Wendy

What!! And spoil the fun others have reading such threads. Have you not noticed that when the luvvies take some time off, there is nothing they like more than to see a disagreement :lol:

By the way, lots of private conversation on here Wendy, in fact, there is absolutely hundreds of them. ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:16 pm

TipperaryAnn wrote:
scocoh wrote:
My comment was in regards to more than that initial post here. She knows that.
Ah, now it becomes clearer. You joined this thread not because you had anything interesting to contribute but just to get at me for something I said elsewhere. I have no intention of checking all my posts to see which one might have ruffled your feathers. Did I dare to give an opinion which differed from yours? I have seen you take offence very quickly with anyone who does that, for example on the "listening plans" thread.

As your opening sweetener you say you agree with me about reviews. You don't. Check back: I say I have read "piles of reviews", you say you "hardly ever read any of them" - we find ourselves on different sides... I am obviously not anti-review, and I enjoy reading them after I have listened a lot and formed my own impressions first. It can be fascinating to see such varied responses - what one finds uplifting another finds depressing, etc., etc. Then, having opened my mind to what others think, I am happy to leave further analysis to those who enjoy it more while I get on with listening to the music. As simple as that.

And yes, I agree with Vicomte - there is something obnoxious about adding a wink to your tirade. If you want to launch an attack you should do so without that coy cop-out!
Seems I don't have to purchase a crystal ball at this time.

Thanks for clearing it up, Ann.
Neil from The Young Ones
scocoh

Post by scocoh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:17 pm

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:23 pm

Thank you for quoting my post in its entirety. You are obviously incapable of discussing or unwilling to discuss the points raised in it, so you just quote the lot and say "Nah. I just find you disingenuous". Yes, always resort to the personal insult - much easier than debating.

That is an accurate quote from you. Do NOT misquote me, attributing words in inverted commas to me which I never used!

I could respond with "Nah. (Whatever that means ) I just find you unpleasant". But that would be as childish as your response, wouldn't it ?

(By the way,the second part of your final sentence is a perfect description of your own approach.)

You clearly have nothing of relevance or value to contribute to this thread. After all, you only joined it to "vent your spleen"!
scocoh

Post by scocoh » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:00 am

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “OLD IDEAS”