Your Old Ideas listening plans?

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
Vicomte

Re: Your Old Ideas listening plans?

Postby Vicomte » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:17 am

Cheshire gal wrote:Vicomte,

You mentioned that you found Leonard to be 'polite and generous' with people. It is a shame that you have not learned anything from him. To me it is the heighth of snobbishness to judge others as you have.

Everyone enjoys Leonard in his/her own way and this is just the place to share our thoughts and news.
I can't see that I haven't been polite, I have given my views and I have been lambasted for them. Rather ironic how when prodded a tad, some of those oh so lovable people feel the need to go on the attack. My views might not be yours, or anyone else's but they are how I see things. If that doesn't sit well, then sorry, I am entitled to feel squeamish at how the adulation is at times just so OTT and almost child like.

As for snobbishness, oh please, I could accuse you of being snobbish for judging me! And why in heavens name is it snobbishness to personally believe it is OTT?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
scocoh

Postby scocoh » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:23 am

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TipperaryAnn

Postby TipperaryAnn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 am

Vicomte wrote: My views might not be yours, or anyone else's but they are how I see things.
Perhaps this should be written in big letters above every thread!

Everyone agrees that Leonard Cohen is polite and courteous as a person, but in writing he has never been afraid to express his opinion, and many of his views could be seen as highly controversial. On a forum dedicated to him you would expect a tolerance for difference of opinion, an honest expression of individual viewpoint, not a tendency here and in some other threads to "gang up " on anyone who doesn't go with the flow. ( the use of "we " in some posts, for instance - to whom does "we" refer? )

Did you ever notice how the "viewing figures" :!: go up whenever there is a hint of controversy? Not everyone likes too much sugar in his or her tea!
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
Vicomte

Postby Vicomte » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:51 pm

scocoh wrote:
Here's guessing that the tea and sandwich you mentioned were a bitter herb tea and a crab salad sandwich.

I'd argue with you, but I'm busy planning my Bay City Rollers theme picnic as we speak.
Poor guess, it was tea and oranges that came all the way from China (did you see what I did there?)

Knew it, a closet Bay City Roller fan!
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:17 pm

So, did anyone else enjoy Leonard's beautiful new album in a particularly special way, that made it meaningful and memorable? (Let's get this thread back to where it started, shall we?)
TommyJ

Postby TommyJ » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:56 am

Clementine - re Come Healing, you said it all. I had pretty much the same experience. Wow. I don't recall an album moving me to tears and making me laugh out loud, both on first listening.
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
holydove

Postby holydove » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:28 pm

Actually, every time I listen to Leonard Cohen, it is a special & ceremonious event. But with this new album, it was even more special & ceremonious. So I created my usual setting for the great event: I waited for a time when there would be no distraction, I sat alone in my quiet little study, put the earphones on & dimmed the lights; my body doesn't like alcohol very much, so I used a different substance - one that goes very well with music. . .The real difference, this time, was not so much the setting, as the level of excitement that I felt; I always feel excitement when I'm about to listen to Leonard Cohen, but now the excitement was, shall we say, hiked up a couple of notches! And oh. . .when I heard these stunning new gems, the excitement was transformed to speechless, incredulous ecstasy - I felt totally enveloped & immersed in this haunting, hypnotic sea of beauty. . .well, I won't go on about the brilliance & perfection of the album, as this thread is not about that - but I just wanted to add my joyous experience here, & say how lovely it's been reading about everyone's excitement & sense of ceremony, in hearing Leonard's Beautiful New Album; it's so nice to know that there's a community of people who share this feeling of reverence & awe about the resplendent gifts of creation that this Brilliant Master of Poetry & Song continues to so generously offer - to anyone with ears to hear.
Evie B

Postby Evie B » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:07 am

According to the sleeve notes that is Dana Clover singing the vocals on Come Healing but I was convinced it was The Webb Sisters and was surprised when I didn't see them listed for this song. Almost through my second listening of the album and like you it has moved me to tears. It is simply amazing in every aspect from lyrics to melody and from Leonard's vocals to the vocals of Sharon, Jennifer, Anjani,The Webb Sisters and Dana. I agree with you this album should have the warning attached ;-)[/quote]

Hi Musicmania

Nowhere is Anjani mentioned as singing on any of the tracks, and though she is credited with writing the music for and producing Crazy To Love You, Leonard sings it on his own just accompanied by himself playing his guitar. She did a good job on that music, it suits the words very well.

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
Vicomte

Postby Vicomte » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:58 pm

holydove wrote:.................it's so nice to know that there's a community of people who share this feeling of reverence & awe about the resplendent gifts of creation that this Brilliant Master of Poetry & Song continues to so generously offer - to anyone with ears to hear.
Oh dear, toooo much :shock:

Generously offer? I paid £8.99 :lol:
Neil from The Young Ones
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:30 am

Vicomte wrote:Generously offer? I paid £8.99
I know, isn't that an amazing bargain! Just think of the many hours, and even years, of enjoyment that we'll get from this album, for only 9 quid (or, in my case, $12 Canadian)!

;-)
Vicomte

Postby Vicomte » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Well I could have downloaded it free and made it a truly generous offer but it was the thought of one of the people on here sending down a thunderbolt that made me buy it legally ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
Tedham

Postby Tedham » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Am I the only one that will just bung it on the CD player, sit and listen to it?
Quite possibly
Evie B

Postby Evie B » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:20 pm

Good decision Vicomte, you dodged the plague, pestilence and flood as well as the thunderbolt :lol:

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
Vicomte

Postby Vicomte » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Cripes, I was lucky then :lol: ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
holydove

Postby holydove » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Vicomte wrote:
holydove wrote:..................

Oh dear, toooo much :shock:

Generously offer? I paid £8.99 :lol:
Vicomte, I hesitate to get into this, but I'm not sure if you were joking or serious here. Are you saying that you don't see the element of generosity in Leonard's Art? I don't know what the word means to you, but for me, it is not only about money. For decades, he has exposed the depths of his heart, for all the world to see, & relentlessly continues to do so; & as for money, we pay 8.99 for artistic expression that is born of the most grueling & intense soul-searching one could ever imagine. I see the offering of one's deepest inner experience, to the world, as a very high level of generosity.

Leonard's son, Adam, said that his father's chief occupation is to divine what people need, & give it to them before they ask. It occurred to me that, among other amazing things, this is something that Leonard has done for me, too. With his incomparable music & poetry, he has always given me just what I needed (& more. . .), before I even knew what I needed, never mind being able to ask for it.

I know everyone experiences Leonard Cohen's work in their own way, & I have no desire to convince anyone of anything; I just felt compelled to clarify what I meant by "generosity", & the above is just my humble little perspective. . .And you did insert a "laughing face", so if it was a joke, I apologize for my solemnity. . .

Return to “OLD IDEAS”