Let's Help Make Old Ideas #1 Worldwide!!

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
Judy

Re: Let's Help Make Old Ideas #1 Worldwide!!

Post by Judy »

Paris Match, 10th January 2012, Culture No. 29

http://www.parismatch.com/Culture-Match ... 12-369883/
B4real

Post by B4real »

I don't know where these are from but the following quote caught my eye -
“Wizened old god Leonard Cohen will release his new album Old Ideas later this month”.
http://stereogum.com/920091/leonard-coh ... ness/mp3s/

There are some other articles here relating to Leonard as well:
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... kness.html

and a brief mention here:
http://www.thecord.ca/articles/50827
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Judy

Post by Judy »

B4real

Post by B4real »

Leonard Cohen’s ‘Old Ideas’ heads for South Africa

Old Ideas, an album of ten songs by Leonard Cohen, will be released by Columbia Records in South Africa on 30 January.
http://mediaupdate.co.za/?IDStory=44302
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Today January 14th, we heard for the first time a part of “Show me the Place” on Dutch radio, Radio 2.
There was also an announcement of the upcoming CD later this month.

Wijbe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
remote1

Post by remote1 »

In this short piece the journalist claims to have heard the new album, but to have been sworn to secrecy until 20 January. The caption under the picture says that the album is coming out on 20 January... Bizarre...
Le nouvel album de Leonard Cohen est attendu le 20 janvier; observez bien la pochette: elle est dessinée par Cohen de sa main de Cohen.

Botus et mouche cousue, comme disait Lao Tseu, histoire de ne pas avaler de mouches tsé-tsé. Pas le droit de vous parler d'Old Ideas, le nouveau Cohen, désolé, j'ai signé: à la séance d'écoute de mercredi dernier à la salle Stevie-Wonder de L'Astral, c'était la consigne; pas un traître mot, pas même de bons mots jusqu'au 20 janvier. Alors, que dire sans rien dire? Ce qu'on savait déjà: c'est du Cohen par Cohen, son douzième chez Columbia. On a tous entendu Show Me the Place, le premier extrait, et on a été émus, c'est entendu. On a la liste des titres; rien qu'avec ça, on peut se faire des airs à la Cohen: Going Home, Amen, The Darkness, Crazy to Love You, Come Healing, Lullaby, c'est fou comme ça parle. Info gratuite et autorisée: la pochette est dessinée par Cohen de sa main de Cohen. Pour le reste, pas le choix, Sony traite ça comme une sortie de film de Spielberg et on n'y peut rien: rendez-vous le 20.
Google translation:
BOTUSA stitched and fly, as Lao Tzu said, so as not to swallow tsetse flies. No right to tell you about Old Ideas, the new Cohen, sorry, I have signed: the listening session last Wednesday in Room Stevie Wonder-The Astral was the set, not a single word, not even good words until January 20. So what about saying nothing? What we already knew: that of Cohen by Cohen, in his twelfth Columbia. We've all heard Show Me the Place, the first single and it was moved, of course. We have the track list, just with that, we can take to the air Cohen: Going Home, Amen, The Darkness, Crazy to Love You, Come Healing, Lullaby, it's crazy talk like that. Free Info and authorized: the cover is designed by Cohen Cohen of his hand. Otherwise, no choice, Sony treats it as an exit from Spielberg film and nothing can be done: go on 20.
http://www.ledevoir.com/culture/musique ... nard-cohen
"We are so lightly here"
remote1

Post by remote1 »

According to journalists who've heard it, it's a great album:
Depuis mardi dernier, le deuxième extrait du nouvel album de Leonard Cohen, Old Ideas, est disponible en écoute sur le web. Ce sera le premier album studio en huit ans du célèbre auteur-compositeur montréalais à la voix grave si prenante. Selon des journalistes qui ont eu la chance d'en entendre les 10 titres, il s'agit d'un grand album qui permettra à Cohen de renouveler son public, lui qui a déjà suscité un grand enthousiasme avec son retour sur scène en 2008.
Google translation:
Since last Tuesday, the second from the new album of Leonard Cohen, Old Ideas, listening is available on the web. This will be the first studio album in eight years of the famous Montreal songwriter with a deep voice so involved. According to journalists who have had the chance to hear 10 tracks, this is a great album that will allow Cohen to renew his public, he has already generated great enthusiasm with his return on stage in 2008.
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/arts/musique/ ... tendus.php
"We are so lightly here"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Here's a nice article - in Jewcy.com -

http://www.jewcy.com/arts-and-culture/w ... back-cohen
Welcome Back Cohen
By Joe Winkler / January 17, 2012

Leonard Cohen’s work has always displayed something of a precocious, wise nature. Even in his younger years, he evinced a status of a prophet, a visionary, a seer, an artist - perspicacious and talented way beyond his years. It should come as no surprise that his later works, his close to octogenarian efforts are stellar, beautiful, haunting and supremely fitting. It’s hard to say that Cohen finally fits into his skin because he excelled in every stage, but somehow, something fits in a way that didn’t necessarily fit before. If you can glean anything from 40 percent of the album then his newest work promises to be an important, dense album. The title, Old Ideas, perfect in many ways, reflects upon the layered experience of the songs. They are indeed old ideas: old religious ideas, old ideas of wisdom, his own old ideas, circles on his work, but old ideas infused with the urgency of age.

The man transcends any limitations of cool, or legendary, he is just a force to reckon with, a force usually on the fringe of culture, looking in with his prophetic eyes. Cohen’s about to release his first LP in seven years, and we here at Jewcy couldn’t be more excited. Recently The New Yorker published his poem, Going Home, which is the newest song to be released from his upcoming CD Old Ideas. Three of his songs are available in their studio edition (Going Home, Show Me the Place, and Darkness) and one more song, Lullaby, can be found on Youtube.

Going Home, set to plangent choral music, organs, and the light pitter patter of drums, clothes the gorgeous poem of two Leonard Cohens’ discussing death, religious aspirations, insecurities, vanities, and the comforts of death or old age. Darkness, a song about an enveloping darkness, whether the spectre of death or depression, finds Cohen listing much of what he used to enjoy captured by darkness. The music, somewhat of a slow burn, jazzy, romp, belies the dreariness of the lyrics, a contrast that Cohen often makes use of. Show Me the Place, the most religious song of the new bunch, finds Cohen searching for beginnings and endings, taking stock of a humble life, taking comfort in the little good a person can do in their limited time, with a fitting simple piano in the background, a steady swirl of violins, and eventually, a choral background that takes the song into transcendence. Lastly, Lullaby, a live favorite for the past two years, struggles with both promises and lies of love, with a wailing harmonica, organ, and a simple acoustic accompaniment backing up this heart wrenching song.

Welcome back, Mr. Cohen, we missed you.
dick

Post by dick »

Good find Linda

On target observations from my perspective.

Thanks
remote1

Post by remote1 »

This is written by a French journalist who went to the Paris event yesterday: http://www.lefigaro.fr/musique/2012/01/ ... ntacte.php

Google translation:
The Canadian poet and singer presented his new songs Monday as part of a press conference.

Old Ideas. Or, literally, old ideas. This is the title chosen by Leonard Cohen for his new collection of original songs, the first since Dear Heather, in 2004. Since then, the septuagenarian has made a spectacular world tour in 2008 and 2009, giving dozens of concerts, in particular to rebuild their financial health. He had been defrauded by his former manager while on a spiritual retreat in a Zen community.

This unexpected increase in activity was worth Monday we visit a rare Parisian Canadian. "I always believed that the tradition in which I speak, the song was particularly well understood here in France," he said after listening to the album. Before the assembly of journalists from all over Europe comfortably installed in a room of the Hotel Crillon, Leonard Cohen, 77, has demonstrated its great alertness. This is despite the grotesque flattery of Jean-Luc Hees, responsible for leading the meeting. "I am the judge the most ferocious of my own work" and said the writer and musician.

Down from its previous deliveries, garnished with synthesizers and drum machines, Old Ideas marks a welcome return to acoustic instruments in which guitar, piano and organ carve the lion's share. The timbre of increasingly serious singer is tempered by the interventions of female singers. More than ever, the text explores the hard love in its most spiritual. "It seems that with age, brain cells linked to anxiety die faster," he says, smiling.

The severity of the album is a nice counterpoint to the humor with which Cohen treats each question. "I came to the conclusion that I would eventually die," he admits with a smile, explaining that it would be a bit pathetic for him to consider himself a ladies man (Death Of A Ladies Man is the title his album of 1977).

"I do not really believe in reincarnation, but if it exists, I want to be my daughter's dog in a future life," he said. Thin and decreased with age in the physical, Leonard Cohen is obviously has a brain in good working order. He confessed to being already at work on a new album. "I want to finish later this year." And the rumors abuzz of a new concert series, perhaps even next spring.
"We are so lightly here"
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

In the Dutch newspaper "De Volkskrant"

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/3380/muz ... ohen.dhtml

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
remote1

Post by remote1 »

http://www.sorstu.ca/leonard-cohen-old- ... re-ecoute/

Google translation:
Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas: Comments from a first listen

Published January 20 2012 Marc-André Mongrain in Reviews, Pop

Marc-André Mongrain
Editor in chief
Digg Digg

Critique The venerable troubadour Leonard Cohen will launch its 12th studio album, Old Ideas, 31 January. Get out-tu.ca had the opportunity to attend an exclusive listening session in the company of a handful of journalists in a room reserved for this purpose. Signs displaying the words were installed at the sight of all, in order to soak up the words of Cohen while absorbing the musicality of these.

Report of a first encounter with the old ideas of the singer of 77 years.

1. Going Home: The album begins gently with Going Home and tasty opening sentence full of derision: "I love to speak with Leonard / He's a sportsman and a shepherd / he's a lazy bastard / livin 'in a suit." Going Home evokes the idea of ​​homecoming, the natural hunting amounts to a gallop.

2. Amen: Superb piece that recalls both I'm Your Man and mournful ballads of Tom Waits, with some subtle points Yiddish highlighted by a poignant violin. As this is the case for virtually the entire album, the music is quiet, delicate, like a canvas on which is deposited silk baritone skinned Cohen.

3. Show Me The Place: A beautiful piano ballad, gospel serene and vaguely with what amounts to the songs of the Church. Striking phrase: "Show me your slave Where You Want to Go." Thrills guaranteed.

4. Darkness: A slow blues, evoking the idea of ​​"getting dark" like a virus. No doubt about depression (Cohen, who visited more often than not, though he admits to be fully recovered), the idea of ​​seeing only the black front and back. Leonard said he sees no future, "this is not so pleasant" and the past has not survived. Surprisingly, the heaviness of the subject does not stifle the luminous interpretation.

5. Anyhow: A Smooth Jazz sulfur that explores the theme of a lover who repeat offender pardon, with a touch of humor typical Cohen.

6. Crazy to Love You: A serenade on the guitar, what is most intimate and stripped. The reminiscences of the aesthetic of the early years: Songs of Leonard Cohen Songs of Love and Hate, Songs From A Room.

7. Come Healing: The intro is sung by the Webb Sisters, before Cohen takes over this hymn spiritual renewal, rebirth.

8. Banjo: The song most rhythmic of the lot. This is a country-folk blues. The involvement of copper in the middle gives this interlude a taste of New Orleans.

9. Lullaby: A slow ballad with a few bursts of harmonica.

10. Different Sides: One last title a little more rhythmic (almost rock) that the entire album. Explore the idea of ​​division, ideas opposites attract and that divide.

A verdict of first listening: In good old-fashioned ideas. We feel the full value of the experience that his songs have had, and étrennées seasoned touring over the past 3 years. The arrangements are refined, sleek, tasteful and commands listening to be assessed at fair value. The South American influences are everywhere: blues, folk, banjo, brass, but it is subtle. Cohen sings with happiness and serenity more palpable as the two previous Dear Heather (2004) and Ten New Songs (2001).

Full review coming on launch day of the album.

If it took 8 years to Leonard Cohen in response to Dear Heather, the situation should be different this time. Cohen confided to the French press this week that it had sufficient "unfinished element" to make a new album within a year.
"We are so lightly here"
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Disc of the week:
From Leonard Cohen, even old ideas are worthwhile
BRAD WHEELER
[4 stars out of 4]
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Jan. 20, 2012 4:30PM EST

Goodbye darkness, his old friend.

Leonard Cohen has never been one to talk about his songs, explaining that the works are complete and to comment on them would be redundant. And, yeah, sure enough, after hearing Going Home, the soulful opening hat-tip of his new album Old Ideas, what’s left for him to say? The piece is an appraisal of Cohen, by Cohen, set to sparse organ accompaniment and barely sung in a quarter-speed rap. There’s a suggestion of Hallelujah’s swell, and I think I sense a slight smile.

Going Home begins and ends with the same third-person verse: “I love to speak with Leonard, he’s a sportsman and a shepherd; He’s a lazy bastard, living in a suit.” This lazy bastard’s 12th album is his first studio outing since 2004’s Dear Heather. It’s a thoughtful record, of course it is, about bleakness and threads of light, about love and hate and healing, and about slavery and freedom – always, with Cohen, the freedom.

The gruff baritone inside Cohen’s head in Going Home is spiritual, loving and blunt. What’s being said has to do with the poet-man’s missions and whether or not his choices were ever choices at all: “He wants to write a love song, an anthem of forgiving, a manual for living with defeat / A cry above the suffering, a sacrifice recovering, but that isn’t what I need him to complete.”

Old Ideas, from the 77-year-old Montreal mope, is a charismatic record – moving, slyly upbeat and even sexy. Cohen is all the lover dude for Anyhow, a simmering vamp that had my dress off by the first chorus. Leonard, my man, you're killing me with “I know you have to hate me, but could you hate me less?”

Amen is a softy-brushed shuffle concerning victims and vengeance belonging to the lord. The violin and cornet parts are suave.

The Darkness is a blues, straight up. Dig that swirling organ.

With its soft country lope, Lullaby is for long nights – for sleeping or, you know, whatever. That’s Sharon Robinson on angelic backing vocals. She’s all over the album, her tone one of tea and sympathy.

I like Crazy to Love You, a Dylanish ballad co-written with Anjani Thomas, a collaborator and more who teamed with the bard on her Blue Alert from 2006. There’s a freedom in lunacy, Cohen is saying: “Sometimes I’d head for the highway, I’m old and the mirrors don’t lie / But crazy has places to hide in, deeper than saying goodbye.”

Saying goodbye, is that what Cohen is doing here? Do hear Going Home and Show Me the Place. The latter is a hymn for the ages, absolutely, in which a soul is low and lost. “Show me the place, where you want your slave to go / Show me the place, I’ve forgotten, I don’t know.” And on Going Home, Cohen is leaving without a burden – “going home to where it’s better than before.”

Free at last then, Leonard Cohen, birds on a wire have nothing on you.
rike

Post by rike »

Thank you for posting Brad Wheeler's review. I'll google that man and read what else he's writing. He's worthy of the master he quotes.
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Full album review from The Edmonton Sun

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/01/20/n ... lid-superb

Good stuff!! I can hardly wait to hear it! :D

Return to “OLD IDEAS”