SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
holydove

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Post by holydove » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Good reference, Arlene - thank you!

Also, in terms of "where the Word became a man": in the Old Testament, God created the world - heaven & earth & everything in between including Adam, the man - with the power of his Word. "And God said 'let there be light, & there was light. . .'"etc., etc.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:55 am

I like to interpret this song as a love song, kind of a plea to woman (similar in theme to "I'm Your Man"). Of course, the religious imagery is undeniable, but it would not be the first time that Leonard has sung of god/woman and the spiritual/sensual in the same lines. As a love song, it has quite a vulnerable sexiness to it that is quite appealing.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:29 pm

somewhat_nifty wrote:the 'roll away the stone' refrain was bothering me - of course, I think this refers to the resurrection of Jesus (Mark 16:1-8), where Mary Magdalene and Mary ask 'who will roll away the stone', and then it is moved by god. 'Show me the place where the word became a man' also seems to me to refer to Jesus (though not the resurrection, presumably that would be the man becoming the word!). I also assume there are more specifically Jewish references that I'm missing.
Of course, but another common place immediately comes to mind, and goes well with song's contents: Sisyphus. Particularly if you see the song (among other possible connotations) as a song about struggle thru life.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:37 pm

My feeling is that this is Leonard continuing to be at his best... layer upon layer for interpretation, as deep and as broad as you want or are able to take it. There are parts that resonate strongly as religious and that resonate strongly as man-woman... and as Tom has said, about struggle through life.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:42 pm

True Lizzy - that's the thing about Leonard's work - there's enough layers for everyone to be able to take from it what they can, or what works for them.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
istvan

Post by istvan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:56 pm

I need more informations please abbout Bela Santelli
Thnx!
In a dream of Hungarian lanterns
In the mist of some sweet afternoon
drsing

Post by drsing » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:52 pm

I do like the song " Show Me The Place", but would rather expect it among the songs on an album like Johnny Cash's "A Hundred Highways". Check it out :roll:
Last edited by drsing on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
B4real

Post by B4real » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:05 am

istvan wrote:I need more informations please about Bela Santelli
Thnx!
Me too please......... I can't find anything on line.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 am

istvan wrote:I need more informations please abbout Bela Santelli
Thnx!
I also googled and nothing. At first I thought's it's a woman but Jarkko says HE - indeed the name is not Bella (female) but Bela so apparently it is male and Hungarian name.
majmunka

Post by majmunka » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:21 am

tomsakic wrote:I also googled and nothing. At first I thought's it's a woman but Jarkko says HE - indeed the name is not Bella (female) but Bela so apparently it is male and Hungarian name.
Indeed it is, but I couldn't find anything in Hungarian online sources either. :(
Eva
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:46 am

jerry wrote:Because the vocals are so out front in the mix it makes it seem like there is a disconnect between the music and vocals. Like the vocals were recorded and then just pasted over the music. I hope and pray that all of this is because this is an MP3 but I doubt it.
Maybe that is why I feel he is sitting right next to me while singing this piece of perfection - doesn't get any better than that.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
jerry

Post by jerry » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:01 am

MaryB wrote:
jerry wrote:Because the vocals are so out front in the mix it makes it seem like there is a disconnect between the music and vocals. Like the vocals were recorded and then just pasted over the music. I hope and pray that all of this is because this is an MP3 but I doubt it.
Maybe that is why I feel he is sitting right next to me while singing this piece of perfection - doesn't get any better than that.
It's a good song but it's far from perfection. I've been listening to Leonard for close to 40 years. I have all of the albums, all of the dvds,all of the books etc. Show Me The Place is a good song but after not hearing from Leonard since 2004 (Dear Heather) I thought that he would come roaring back. Show Me The Place isn't a roar. It's not a wimper either but I feel that it falls far short of what he is capable of as far as songwriting goes.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
yopietro

Post by yopietro » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:14 am

Such power, beauty, and depth in this song's deceptive simplicity. It communicates soul to soul.
holydove

Post by holydove » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:06 pm

MaryB wrote:Maybe that is why I feel he is sitting right next to me while singing this piece of perfection - doesn't get any better than that.
I totally agree with you, Mary! Every time I listen to this very moving & beautiful song, the moment Leonard's incomparable voice comes through the speakers, I am stunned & struck to the core by the power, closeness, intimacy, richness & beauty of that Voice Of All Voices!! And I like your description of this as a "piece of perfection" - that's really perfect!! Thank you.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:08 pm

jerry wrote:
MaryB wrote:
It's a good song but it's far from perfection. I've been listening to Leonard for close to 40 years. I have all of the albums, all of the dvds,all of the books etc. Show Me The Place is a good song but after not hearing from Leonard since 2004 (Dear Heather) I thought that he would come roaring back. Show Me The Place isn't a roar. It's not a wimper either but I feel that it falls far short of what he is capable of as far as songwriting goes.
Hi Jerry,
I listened to the song first before following this thread. Did I hear the technical glitches - absolutely. But, the feeling of the intimacy this song gave me far outweighed those technical problems. I would easily overlook any technical problems if the end result is the feeling that he is sitting next to me with those exquisite words - he does not have to 'roar' to please me...the words and emotion are enough. IMHO, he is coming to a point in his life where he is finding peace with his creator and his life. For me, I first felt this when I heard 'Born In Chains' in Sligo - so incredibly emotional! And now he seems to follow on this same theme with this song. I think a lot of the songs in this new piece of work will continue along the same theme.

Kindest regards,
Mary

(P.S. Rachel, I'm so glad you also feel the same way I do about this song! P.P.S. When are you and Bob going to sign up for Madison?)
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “OLD IDEAS”