2012 Leonard Cohen Event

The Madison Event - before and after
Bob Parkins

Re: 2012 Leonard Cohen Event

Post by Bob Parkins »

Haven't been around much lately, but wanted to weigh in here. Madison would be terrific, because:

1. It would afford a full measure of Joe's wisdom and intuition.
2. It could prompt us to reflect on Karl Armstrong, the lead player in a much mooted anti-war bombing at U of W in 1970.
3. It could expose us to some of the world-class fastpitch which still survives in Wisconsin. The Farm Tavern in Madison sponsored one of the fastpitch powerhouses for years; we could do worse than raise a glass drink there.

So: Yes.
---

Parky

"In hindsight, the vandals regret having taken the handles."
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Bob,

As Lizzy said in a previous post :D

Yes

Yes

Yes

:D :D :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

For some insight into Joe, some insight into Leonard, and some insight into Madison, Wisconsin, please follow this link and read this very interesting account.

I would post it here [providing the link for absolute attribution], but Marie Mazur's site has such delightful presentation of its pieces relating to Leonard, that I don't want to deprive anyone of the sheer, scrumptious Sixties background for this one... from that era or not, you can see and feel how it glows with the beauty of hope we held close to our hearts and shared so openly with others back then.

http://www.webheights.net/speakingcohen/joeway0.htm

If anyone knows every nook and cranny of Madison, it's Joe Way.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Lizzy for posting that link and to Joe and Marie for all their work involved in putting it together. It was so much more interesting from Joe's point of view, especially on Leonard's life then. Even though I was in Australia news of what was going on in America in the colleges was know.
You know, I still have my ban-the-bom symbol which I used to hang around my neck on a chain. ;-)

Did you know that Leonard is really a great sportsman? He beat his friend Pierre Trudeau at thumb wrestling :lol:

He describes it here at 7:00mins - BTW I absolutely love this video "Picnic I The Park" for its relaxed presentation :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZmi3BDSEM8

Joe, I would love to help but it is difficult to do considering where I'm living :(
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

My pleasure, B4real ~ It's a wonderfully unique review. I Love how you wove it historically, Joe. And who wouldn't be wondering whatever became of that line... I guess Anne was just happy to hear it. If you've got to plagiarize anyone, who better than Leonard. [Not that Anne, to this very day, has any idea.] So much was going on in our lives during that time. And, now, look what's going on in everyone's lives.

I love it that you were so tuned in to what was happening here during those years, B4real 8) . I'll be watching your own link with Leonard in just a minute.

Now, B4 you beg to not be able to help, B4real... remember how I highlighted how we all managed to do so much from so far afield... the miracle of the Internet, y'know ;-) . And, if you can manage to come to the Event, there's NO doubt there's some way you'll be able to help. Of course, only you know the pace of your day-to-day life.

Wonderful performance review, Joe. I love your details 8) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Parky,
Yes, the Farm Tavern is still noted for its fast pitch prowess. One of my golfing buddies is now retired from fast pitch and is finally overcoming his baseball swing in golf. As it happens, he and Karl Armstrong were childhood friends and played cowboys and indians together.

Dear Lizzy, I think that we can quote Leonard on our poster, that Madison is "Brigadoon with a touch of Havana."

Love,

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

AWESOME idea, Joe :D ! [Now, why the hell didn't I think of that... guess that's why you're 8) the one to take on such a project :) .] And all three places look WONDERFUL in print, don't they 8) . Ah, Leonard, and his prescient beingness 8) .

Love,
Lizzy :D
~ Oscar Wilde
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Joe Way wrote:"Brigadoon with a touch of Havana."Joe
great strap line joe...howsbout a theme song AND a dance for the madison event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRyzJYvZ ... re=related

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

HaHa. That's funny and cool, Ken. Can't you just see us all now :shock: :lol: .
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I LOVE that video, B4real. I believe that's the one I tried to get to another time, but the indications were that somehow it had been removed or something. Such genuine, comfortable affection between them and I love how Leonard insisted on reading his poem right then and there... and how naturally well he did so. I Favorited it and am returning too 5-Star it and comment.

Loved his thumb wrestling account and his humour with regard to Kristoferson. The thumb wrestling also put me in mind of Bonnie McCalla and Denise [BoxOfRain] arm wrestling at dinner before seeing Leonard at Red Rocks. The stakes were their choice of the Leonard t-shirts that Greg had made and brought from Australia.

Wonderful footage of Leonard in a friendship comfort zone. He's so at ease... as seemingly always. And look how very handsome Leonard is on this day and in this natural light. And, then, there's Leonard the Bouncer :lol: . Thank you so much for posting the link. It's a treasure.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hey Ken, That's some fancy stepping going on!
Here in Brigadoon, we just wait for the skies to open up every 30 years or so.
You never know how the musical line will turn out in these parts of the woods-after all, it did gives us Bobby Dylan who had one of his early concerts at the Orpheum here. There are many folk here around who think you can live in any decade (60's, 70's, 80's) that you wish too.

We saw Tom Waits long ago at a show at Union Theater. We're trying to get back to those great days.

All the best,

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Lizzy
Thanks for posting that link about Joe--brings back a lot of memories. I was introduced to Leonard, as I have written about elsewhere in 1969-70 Songs from a room, was a Janis fan too. I also fell under Trudeau's spell during that time period. And not too far away, Joe and the others, were going through similar experiences. In retrospect, I have nothing but gratitude for those influences in my young life.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Theresa ~

I only wish I had been more aware of Trudeau at the time. I knew his name and who he was, of course, but beyond that, I really knew nothing. When you say you fell under his spell, added to the things I've heard Leonard say [in the past, as well as through B4real's link], there clearly was a lot going on with him to appreciate.

Yes... Joe's piece brought back a lot of memories for me, too.
In retrospect, I have nothing but gratitude for those influences in my young life.
So... so true, Theresa.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi Lizzy,

The universe works in mysterious ways! I'm so glad I posted that video you had been looking for - you are always doing someone else a good turn - see, what goes round comes round 8)

Also if you knew my day-to-day activities :roll: Firstly I work full-time, travel 600klm per week etc etc etc but if there is anything I can do over the net that's fine.

Hi Ken,

I just watched your video of the Madison, and I have fess up here and now that one of those girls could easily have been me :lol: I did actually do that dance, and might I add, with the same grace and dignity as they have demonstrated ;-)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Paula

Post by Paula »

Ah Ken memories of Streatham Locarno with that clip.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”