2012 Leonard Cohen Event

The Madison Event - before and after
lightasabreeze

Re: 2012 Leonard Cohen Event

Post by lightasabreeze »

phillip wrote:And how about England UK the last one here was Lincoln 1998!
If Only .....
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

How intriguing. My brother-in-law has a post at the university in Madison, so who knows I might actually come (I don't visit America any more on conscientous grounds, as I object to being fingerprinted on arrival as if I were a common criminal)
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Paula

Post by Paula »

Where ever it is it sounds great. Joe you will have your work cut out you will need to start practising your dustbowl songs for us.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
holydove

Post by holydove »

I have not attended an LC event before, & would love to be part of the 2012 event, & would be happy to help in any way I can from Connectcticut, where I am now living. Any place chosen by those "in the know" would be fine with me. Let me know how I could help in any way. . .
maltmom

Post by maltmom »

I've also never attended an event, but I'll help in whatever way I can from New Jersey.
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Thanks for your kind offer Joe and Anne
I have not yet attended an event and this might be one that will be within my reach. I have been to Madison Georgia, a lovely historic spot, but have never been to Chicago or Madison Wisconsin. I will be watching the forthcoming plans with great interest.
Cate

Post by Cate »

Madison looks like a great place!
I'm very excited at the prospect of being able to attend a Leonard Cohen event!
Janie

Post by Janie »

This sounds great, the proximity to Chicago is a real bonus, it's a city I've wanted to visit for quite a while so I'd definitely support Madison as a venue.

Jane
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And, as Diana said, "First we'll take Madison!" 8) It looks like a great place to just wander around and be and enjoy all that Joe shows us. Yeah, the dustbowl songs :) . So glad to see newcomers joining in with their plans to come and to offer help, as well.

It looks like Cracow's booklet will soon be able to be sent to the printer :D .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Hello Joe,

What a common sense, logical choice - you as chairperson and host, and delightful Madison with all it has to offer as the setting. I am looking forward to this event. If I can assist in any way, please let me know.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Thanks for taking the initiative, Joe Way

I've never been to an official LC event, other than LC concerts, where it was very lovely to meet and chat to several virtual friends... however, 2012 does allow enough time for financial recovery, so I hope to meet you all in Madison 2012!

Sheila
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Thank you all so much for your very encouraging and enthusiastic response to my proposal. I am thinking that we would do something either pre- or post-event in Chicago that wouldn't involve arranging for performance venues. I was thinking of some architectural tours, time for museums and rather than a planned joint dinner-just groups of people getting together where ever they wished. Madison is only about 120 miles from Chicago and quite easily accessible by bus. The Van Galder Bus service specializes in Chicago transport and leaves from downtown Madison to either downtown Chicago or O'Hare Airport.

The last couple of days have been just spectacularly beautiful in Madison and some of my colleagues and I held a meeting on Memorial Union Terrace overlooking Lake Mendota instead of inside. I couldn't help but think how lovely it would be to sit and enjoy beers together there with all of our wonderful Leonard Cohen friends.

There are many great sites in the U.S. and Canada that would be terrific destinations for the event. Austin, Texas comes to mind (although it has many similarities to Madison), obviously world class cities like San Francisco and New Orleans would also be wonderful, but as we have found in the past, the most important factor is the willingness of people to take the lead to make it happen. I hold all of you in such high regard and as such dear friends that I am willing to work hard to make this a very enjoyable event (as Anne and I have been so fortunate to enjoy in the past). The Hydra Event in 2002, the subsequent events, and our gatherings at concerts in the past couple of years have helped create life-long friendships that even transcend our mutual Cohen related interests.

We will leave this a little longer to make sure that everyone has had an opportunity to have their say if they don't feel that this would be the right thing to do. Then we will make the final decision within the next week or so.

Warm regards,

Joe

P. S. Thank you to all who have offered help, we will certainly look to you to assist us.
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What a common sense, logical choice - you as chairperson and host, and delightful Madison with all it has to offer as the setting.
Yes.
Thanks for taking the initiative, Joe Way
Yes.
There are many great sites in the U.S. and Canada that would be terrific destinations for the event. Austin, Texas comes to mind (although it has many similarities to Madison), obviously world class cities like San Francisco and New Orleans would also be wonderful, but as we have found in the past, the most important factor is the willingness of people to take the lead to make it happen.
True. There are many.

TRUE! Taking the lead to make it happen is what will play out as most important in an Event's success. We're batting 1000 so far, and 2012 under your lead will keep that great number going.

I hope Madison will soon be confirmed as our peaceful location.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

Last edited by donalagata on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You're in luck, donalagata. They're always held sometime in the summer. The Europeans typically take off work and travel in August; but as I recall, the New York Event was in June. They take such a HUGE amount of planning and work that Joe will be able to use all the time leading up to it, whichever of the summer months he chooses.

I remember helping out with the New York one and being on the phone [from Florida] to different venues in New York... capacities, seating arrangements, food, rental costs, etc. ad infinitum. Then, lightning [in New York] going and checking them out in person, with a whole set of variables for consideration. Then, by email presenting Geoff [the Event coordinator ~ in Philadelphia] with the possible venues. Then, I remember helping out with lining up and scheduling volunteers for the on-site registration process, when people arrived and got their goody bags, etc..

I remember those days. They were when I had energy ;-) . Joe's proximity, knowledge, familiarity, and experience are HUGE advantages in all of this. These Events are major undertakings.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”