2012 Leonard Cohen Event

The Madison Event - before and after
MaryB

Re: 2012 Leonard Cohen Event

Post by MaryB »

Joe,

Wonderful to hear that the final decision is for Madison! You and Anne, being as knowledgeable re this city, it promises to be a fantastic event.

Sorry, to hear that more eye surgery is needed. Hopefully this one will do the trick. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Joe ~

Be well with your eye surgery. Many years ago, I had something going on with my eyes [can't even remember what it was, but I had to keep a patch on, and what I remember most is the gritty sand & ground glass feeling in my eye[s], whichever it was. I'm looking forward to your feeling better, and then being on your way, again, with your life and your plans.

Love to both you and Anne,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mamcglynn09

Post by mamcglynn09 »

Thank you so much for being willing to organise the Madison event. It sounds as if we will have a great time.
Of course being in in the company of the Cohen nutters is always a pleasure and a priviledge. My own birthplace is Jersey City, NJ, so I'll be able to have some family time after the madness ends. Is it just me or is it just so life-enriching (if that is a word) to have such nice things to look forward to ???? :)
Marianne09
2008 - Edinburgh; Cardiff; Manchester.
2009 - Liverpool, July 14th; Dublin July 19,20,21st; Belfast July 26th; Barcelona - Sep 21st
2010 - 31st July & 1st August, Sligo ; 21st September, Marseilles; 10th, 11th December, Las Vegas
2012 - 12th; 14th September, Dublin.
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

mamcglynn09 wrote:Thank you so much for being willing to organise the Madison event. It sounds as if we will have a great time.
Of course being in in the company of the Cohen nutters is always a pleasure and a priviledge. My own birthplace is Jersey City, NJ, so I'll be able to have some family time after the madness ends. Is it just me or is it just so life-enriching (if that is a word) to have such nice things to look forward to ???? :)
No my friend it is not just you there will be plenty of Cohen nutters looking forward to the enrichment the Madison event will bring to their lives ! See you there !!!
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
vern.silver

Post by vern.silver »

Just an aside after this long conversation about the 2010 gathering, I saw no mention of Toronto, Canada being suggested. Seeing that there have been events at probably every location (except Nashville) that has a Leonard Cohen connection I would think that the fact that his papers being kept at the Thomas Fisher Rare Book library and an opportunity for a tour as we were lucky to experience in 2007 would make it a prime prospect.

Maybe 2016?

Vern
"Clarence said a striking thing about rowing that I've always valued ... that he liked rowing because you were approaching life backward. You could clearly see the past, and you glanced quickly at the future over your shoulder.' Jim Harrison.
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

vern.silver wrote:Just an aside after this long conversation about the 2010 gathering, I saw no mention of Toronto, Canada being suggested. Seeing that there have been events at probably every location (except Nashville) that has a Leonard Cohen connection I would think that the fact that his papers being kept at the Thomas Fisher Rare Book library and an opportunity for a tour as we were lucky to experience in 2007 would make it a prime prospect.

Maybe 2016?

Vern
Am I missing something here but whats happened to 2014 ?
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
dick

Post by dick »

The tradition has been to alternate North America and Europe......so 2014 would likely be the other side of the pond.
mutti

Post by mutti »

Greetings! I notice there is a page set up on facebook for this event and I am wondering if its possible to have something like that on this thread so more people can participate in discussions? I am not sure where to post this - facebook or the forum so I have chosen the forum.
I for one am not able to commit to anything over a year away and not even to a "maybe."
I would love to attend and will be able to decide closer to the date as it depends on many things.

One thing I would like to put out is I see the dates run into the July 1 (Canada Day) and July 4 (US) long weekend.
Flights are more expensive at this time, its busy and one weekend I always try to avoid flying. Its a long weekend in Canada and in the US.
I just started looking into airfare to California for this (2011) July 1-5 and notice already the prices are higher starting the day before and ending the day after...
So I request the date get relooked at again. I feel a bit awkward posting this as I have not commited myself as yet
but I do know those dates will intersect with a lot of travellers in airports, tourist sight, etc.
Thanks for listening...
And a big thank you to Joe Way and the others involved in planning this event.
Leslie/Mutti 8)
Last edited by mutti on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hmmmm... good points, mutti. I wonder how much Joe has committed to that can/cannot be changed.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Is it possible to provide a link to the Facebook content? I tried to look for myself but could only find a few comments, no details so I'm obviously looking in the wrong place. I admit it - I'm showing my complete ignorance of Facebook here (I'm registered but never go there. I have never quite seen the point, or perhaps I'm just scared of becoming an addict .....).

Wendy
margaret

Post by margaret »

As yet I have seen no dates announced for Madison in 2012, unless comments on Facebook indicate this?

Anyway, I feel that this Leonard Cohen Forum is the best and most appropriate place for any discussion. I would hope that there is plenty of time for various arrangements and dates to be considered for summer 2012.

Margaret
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Mabeanie1 wrote:Is it possible to provide a link to the Facebook content? I tried to look for myself but could only find a few comments, no details so I'm obviously looking in the wrong place. I admit it - I'm showing my complete ignorance of Facebook here (I'm registered but never go there. I have never quite seen the point, or perhaps I'm just scared of becoming an addict .....).

Wendy
Wendy, you can find the Facebook event page here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=112748865473985
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Hi Margaret,
Joe Way and his team will be telling us more about the 2012 Event in the very near future.
I am also going to make an Event page for the Files during the weekend.
The basic facts are already on the Facebook page (use the link Avi gave in the previous message)
The timing will be June 28 to July 1, 2012.
And yes, this special section of the Forum has been opened for discussion about our next big gathering!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks Jarkko!
I look forward to following the event thread as it unfolds.
Re my last post re the dates - it likely will not be as crowded in airports as I thought considering the event will start a few days ahead of the
long weekend so no worries on that anymore.
Cheers!
Leslie/Mutti 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I agree with Leslie (at least, with her first post) that those dates aren't ideal, since it does run into the busiest travelling weekend in North America (it's getting home that will be the headache!) (and, I like to be in Canada for Canada Day!). This may also require making reservations well in advance (especially for the return trip), and that may not be possible for everyone. Oh well, I guess it's not for me to say. A bit disappointed to see those dates, though.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”