2012 Leonard Cohen Event

The Madison Event - before and after
Joe Way

Re: 2012 Leonard Cohen Event

Postby Joe Way » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 am

Hi All,
Let's put this to rest with a final decision that the 2012 Event will take place in Madison with a portion (excursions only-not performances etc.) taking place in Chicago. I am so pleased to hear the enthusiasm for this location-I love my city & University-and feel very comfortable that it will provide a very interesting, hospitable, affordable and welcoming location. Anne & I pledge to make everyone feel welcome (and even though Liverpoolken's idea of a life size statue of Leonard Cohen made entirely of Wisconsin's best cheeses placed in a predominant spot on our Capitol square may not be feasible), I think there are many other opportunities to experience the beauty that is Madison & Wisconsin.

Dear Dem, You obviously don't know how Leonard's 1970 concert at the Field House here in Madison started the world-wide adulation that he is now experiencing (and of course, Anne & my marriage!). I would love to go back to Hydra, but as you know we would have to limit the number of attendees much below what we now expect to want to join these events.

Dear Diana, Tinders, Arlene, Christian & all of the many who have joined this thread. Madison is easily accessible from Europe (flights from Dublin to Chicago are plentiful and a relatively good value). Anne & I really appreciate your support and we will do a good job with all of your help.

Let's turn now to our friends in Krakow and concentrate on the 2010 event!

Thank you everyone.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
liverpoolken

Postby liverpoolken » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:21 am

Joe Way wrote:Hi All,
and even though Liverpoolken's idea of a life size statue of Leonard Cohen made entirely of Wisconsin's best cheeses placed in a predominant spot on our Capitol square may not be feasible
excellent news Joe......i for one look forward to the event......let's start by making our dreams come true.....remember cheese is the building block of life or some say cheese is milk's leap toward immortality...which ever way we must have our statue.... ta ken
statuea.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:46 am

Good on ya, Joe... TAKE those reins in hand :D .

LOLOL ~ breath ~ LOLOL ~ breath ~ LOL ~ too funny on the statue :lol: .

Now... looking forward to Cracow 8) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Laura

Postby Laura » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:55 am

jarkko wrote:Our future plans include another Hydra meetup in June 2011, one year after Krakow and one year before Madison...

Sigh. 2011 looks very far away to me!

Laura
margaret

Postby margaret » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Madison looks wonderful Joe. I'm sure it will be a great success. Not sure if I will be able to get there in 2012 :( Right now it looks doubtful that I will still have a job by then, so my globe trotting will be very restricted.
Looks like you got the votes to go ahead :)

Margaret
Kush

Postby Kush » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:33 pm

I have never been to any of these events and dont know if I will - I like LCs stuff but I guess maybe not that much, but I dont rule it out. But for what its worth Madison, WI is one of the best places to have this kind of event in the US. I was there about 7 years back and remember thinking if I was offered a job here I'd move in a heartbeat. As I recall it has a vibrant music scene, little old fashioned bookstores, quaint little international stores for exotic curiosities to explore, a very peaceful lake. And most importantly almost every kind of cuisine you could think of. It gives off a vibe of intellectual curiosity (being a premier University town) but is also pretty relaxed and laid back. All the advantages of a big city and none of the disadvantages. Probably not very different from Austin, TX. I think its consistently thought of as one of the best places to live in the US.
And Mr. Joe Way is always the perfect gentleman who writes these perfect posts.
Cate

Postby Cate » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:44 pm

Joe thank you very much for taking the lead and organizing this!!!

I'm excited that it's going to be in Madison - I haven't been there yet but it looks very much like someplace I'd like to visit and a side trip to Chicago sounds like fun. I love the link that Lizzy left in which you described the events leading up to the Madison Concert almost 40 years ago and the general vibe that was happening then. It was excellently written and what a great 'how I met your Mother story'.
GinaDCG

Postby GinaDCG » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:52 am

I'm excited. I've never been to Wisconsin. Can you recommend any hiking trails near Madison?
Yorkshire Lad

Postby Yorkshire Lad » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:19 pm

120 days to Kracow 2 years 120 days to Madison and counting . Joe you have just given me a reason to put off my retirement so I can save for the 2012 event .
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:39 am

I think members have given their unanimous approval and support to Joe's initiative!
Let's decide that the 2012 Leonard Cohen Event will be in Madison (possibly something
extra also in Chicago?). Are you ready to go, Joe & Anne??!!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
John K.

Postby John K. » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:37 am

I am happy to see that Joe and Anne have appeared to get their Way.

Sorry, someone had to say it. :D
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
liverpoolken

Postby liverpoolken » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:37 am

...and to celebrate the occasion here is a rare of photo of leonard joining in the fun with some of the local cheese-heads in front of madison's beautiful capitol building.....photo taken by an unknown fan last october when leonard was looking around madison on his way to his chicago concert....ta ken
cheeseheadsa.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
martbook

Postby martbook » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:22 pm

As I stated earlier, Madison has become one of my favorite cities, and that surprised me. I have lived here for 11 years now and have no plans to leave.

There are many good hiking and biking trails nearby and thru the city. Madison is a very strong biking community.

Joe, I look forward to perhaps meeting you after Cracow and discussing what role I may play in organizing 2012.
Joe Way

Postby Joe Way » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:36 am

Hello everyone!

Yes, I guess that it has been decided and certainly, Jarkko-Anne and I are ready for it!

Ken, your artwork never fails to delight me, and I have appropriated your Leonard "cheese" statue as the opening gambit on all of my emails to my Madison friends. You chose the positioning of the shot wonderfully, as it is taken from the side door of my old hotel, the Madison Concourse Hotel & Governor's Club where so many of my good friends still reside. The family shot also strikes me so funny as I left a cheesehead in a room for a friend of mine a few years back, and somehow his room got switched and we watched the new occupants of the room waltzing down the hallway with their new cheeseheads and my friend watched with a bereft look on his face.

I will spend some time this week talking about venues with the principles. I'll be out of commission a bit for the next couple of weeks, as I have to undergo eye surgery again. As Mr. Dylan says, "He moved into the corner, face down, like the Jack of Hearts."

To all of you who have so kindly offered assistance, I will be in contact in the next couple of months. Thank you again for your kindness and enthusiasm-it will be a great time for all of us.

Love,

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Bill's Bar

Postby Bill's Bar » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Joe
Best of luck with the eye surgery. Sorry to hear you have to go through it again. I'll do as you ask in you signature. :D and look forward to meeting you again in Krakow. I saw elsewhere that there was a slight possibility you might make it to Sligo. It would be great if you can.
And it's nice to see there's a head of cheese building up for 2012..............already... :D

Take in handy.

Tony.
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”