Slander in another place/Managing FOEs

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
jarkko
Site Admin

Slander in another place/Managing FOEs

Post by jarkko » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:32 am

Heretic posted here a message with the title "Slander in another place" and invited people to read this message he wrote as Partisan on the BL Forum:
Just a heads up for those of you who go to Jarkko's forum. Tysh Darling is a secret moderator or administrator there. This suggests to me that there is something Jarkko has been keeping hidden about his relationship with and her and therefore his inability to control her behaviour. It could also mean she has access to all your PMs over there also. It is not safe.

For those of you wondering how i know, i tried to put her on my foes list so her posts would not show and the system would not let me on the grounds that she is one. I am going to enjoy the excuses.
Let's make one thing absolutely clear first! NO ONE -- including me (the site administrator) is able to read anybody's PMs. They remain 100 % private and confidential. The same with emails members send to each other. All that stuff goes automatically from the sender to the receiver!

Partisan's message inspired me to run some tests with a number of active members, and I noted that indeed there were several who could not be added to the FOE list.

I also found the reason - in 2005 we had a closed section, "FAQ committee" that tried to develop Leonard Cohen FAQ for all participating sites. All forum members were invited to work with the FAQ, and a number of them volunteered and got admission to the section. All had moderator rights in that section (only). Unfortunately the project did not go any further and no messages have been posted to the section in more than two years. I did not want to delete the section (maybe we find new energy some day to continue with it), but I have now removed all moderator rights in that section except my own (other FAQ moderators were Tom, Dick, Tim, Kjelling, Linda, Joe Way, andrea, Bobbie, KimSolez, tom.d.stiller, Andrew (Darby), eeey, David, Pete, Mirek, Eve, linmag, babz, lightning, Einat, jurica, Sandra, Richard, lizzytysh, Megan2c2b, glyn, Natalie, sleep, Sue, Paula).

Now any member(s) except the administrators and moderators of the whole Forum can be added to the private FOE list of another member - and this FOE selection can also be cancelled any time.

For those who don't remember what a FOE is:
What are my Friends and Foes lists?
You can use these lists to organise other members of the board. Members added to your friends list will be listed within your User Control Panel for quick access to see their online status and to send them private messages. Subject to template support, posts from these users may also be highlighted. If you add a user to your foes list, any posts they make will be hidden by default.
[This is a summary of the original thread. I removed it from News to Everything Else but by mistake left a shadow thread in News. Then I removed the shadow one but noted that also the original one in Everything Else was gone. One learns something new every day! :shock: However there were no more messages than the one by Heretic and my reply that is re-constructed above ]
blonde madonna

Re: Slander in another place/Managing FOEs

Post by blonde madonna » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:06 am

Jarkko I am sorry you have to waste your valuable time in responding to this rubbish. :(
I ignore questionable stuff from unreliable sources, along with unreliable stuff from questionable sources, and I think others would too.
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:16 am

It wasn't (all) rubbish though - Jarkko found out something, about the number of moderators listed on the forum, and how they couldn't be added to anyone's Foes list, and did something about it. I just feel guilty because I found this problem a few weeks ago and worked out what was causing it, but didn't mention it as I didn't think Jarkko would (want to) solve it the way he did.

The reading PMs thing was rubbish though, and I thought I'd made it clear when the subject came up in the chat room that, as Jarkko has had to say, private messages are just that, and moderators/administrators can't read them. Also, private messages in private windows in the chat room are private too.

Thanks, as ever, to Jarkko, for setting up these places for us

Tim
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:01 am

If someone has a genuine problem with the software there are other ways to deal with it rather than blatant s***-stirring.
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
Partisan

Post by Partisan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:27 pm

As I recall, Heretic's post told people not to go and read the other forum. He even provided a helpful hyperlink to make avoiding it that bit easier. However, as it has been removed you will have to take my word for it. As for Jarkko having to deal with this, that simply is not true. He chooses to, just as he could have chosen not to carry on with the forum.

Tim, you were not the only one who knew the reason before the original post, but where is the fun in that? The real reason lacked the inherent 'truthiness' of the other explanation. Why print the actual cause when the conspiracy theory is far more interesting?

p.
Young dr. Freud

Post by Young dr. Freud » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:11 am

Nice recovery.

YdF
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:42 am

Tim wrote:I just feel guilty because I found this problem a few weeks ago and worked out what was causing it, but didn't mention it as I didn't think Jarkko would (want to) solve it the way he did.
You just left it alone, and unmentioned so Jarkko could find it out all by his lonesome? Yes, guilty as hell you should feel. I would, in that position. Oh, and please all the 'hand holders" - if I knew, I would have told Jarkko right off. Just so he didn't have to deal with all "this". Now, now. No crying. Think about it. Why would anyone sit for so long on that kind of info? Now, considering all the recent hullabaloo, I feel 'guilty' as hell, and feel I must apologize lest some or any of the people reading this bloody post think I'm besmirching their integrity.

Hmm...I found it difficult to add someone as a 'friend' just recently. 8) Well, that's life. Good weekend all.

Linda.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
Laura

Post by Laura » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:15 am

Does "p" stand for "paranoia", too?
Laura
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:01 pm

And does B stand for "bollocks" because I have no idea where we're heading (yet again) with this one.
Think I'll just stick to listening to the CDs
Christine

Post by Christine » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:40 am

I think B stands for bullshit....

BM, one of the things I like about you is you're so down to earth. Well, 'cept you didn't retrieve me from that other place which.. hey hey hey hey Paula, is where the foot thingie came from. Sorry about that; I think now I must've made it up due to my extended stay there. Jarkko, thanks for posting that M_One shot -- what a crack up! And Laura, yep, I reckon you'd've noticed him on Hydra too. YdF, I might debate that. Smile - be careful what you wish for! And hi Lizzy, I tried separating these into their own paras but.....

Do you remember the snail thing? I've got a pot of snapdragons in which I've put a mini pot of shamrock. Well, for the past week, every morning when I head outside with my coffee, the snail's fast asleep (I think) in the shamrock pot. So that's how I while away my time...... watching for the snailmate so I can catch a game of darts. Some say it might be better than stuffing fish in shoes......
Wenslauw

Post by Wenslauw » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:32 am

Christine wrote:Do you remember the snail thing? I've got a pot of snapdragons in which I've put a mini pot of shamrock. Well, for the past week, every morning when I head outside with my coffee, the snail's fast asleep (I think) in the shamrock pot. So that's how I while away my time...... watching for the snailmate so I can catch a game of darts. Some say it might be better than stuffing fish in shoes......
Can you tell me what is in that coffee?
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:46 am

Well, if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say a bit of fish slime - maybe snailslime - who knows in a world so complex, vast and beset with matter of import? That's just a guess though, I've never looked, let alone performed a taste test. Some dirt maybe.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
medicinejar

Post by medicinejar » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:56 pm

Just wanted to say again Jarkko that I love your site, love the forum and I really appreciate all the time you put into this.

Cheers

Return to “Comments & Questions”