April 24th at Joe's

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
dick

April 24th at Joe's

Post by dick »

Tuesday the 24th of April at Joe’s Pub

Wonderful. Fantastic. Awesome.

We could not have asked for an evening more perfect. Both shows flew by, with impeccable delivery of Blue Alert songs by Anjani and two duets with Leonard. Added treat to hear the dynamite debut of Anjani’s cover of “The Gypsy’s Wife,” and to get a preview of a beautiful soprano, Dominique Plaisant, who will be in the Philip Glass Book of Longing cast.

Format like Europe with humorous introduction by Leonard – which worked in Neal Sedaka (who played the venue earlier in the evening), the Brill building, and spoken lines from Tower of Song. Anjani took stage for seven Blue Alert songs, then Gypsy’s wife, then duet of “Never Got to Love You,” then “Thanks for the Dance,” followed by closing duet of “Whither Thou Goest.” Audience was in total ecstasy. As when we saw Anjani in Montreal, she totally owned the crowd and the room.

Second show was more relaxed, and had a slightly different selection of songs, but contrary to fears and advertising, Leonard played the same role. Both shows had really smooth jazzy feel, aided by the very talented backing band. Most songs were longer than the album, and were ideal for the jazz club live setting.

Similar to the European fan experience, once we mastered the club’s security system, with much assistance from Esther, forum posters were hosted graciously by Anjani and Leonard in their dressing rooms. They signed things, posed with fans, and encouraged everyone to “take your time and stay a while” (though the line of waiting fans was long.) Fully realize now that I could never have done any better choosing an artist to obsess about. The ultimate gentleman, and his gorgeous and warm companion.

I was also pleased to say hello to Hal Willner again, and give a nod to Elvis Costello and Diana Krall at his celebrity table. Willner told me Glass had been at the table but was backstage when I was there. I lucked into a brief opportunity to see Lorca and congratulate her on her photography duty (a Glass/Cohen portrait at Philip’s home). We had wonderful time with Geoff and Donna, Evelyn, Lizzytish, Zack, Bobbie and Marc, and were happy for the chance to greet Damellon and her family. Sorry we missed Erik.

For the second show, we commandeered the celebrity table and took Elvis and Diana’s seats. Esther kept the glow going by introducing us to Leon Wieseltier and a friend, and they joined Dawn, Linda and I at our table. Leon is an old friend of Leonard’s. He is literary editor of the New Republic, and the song “Love Itself” is dedicated to him. He wrote the classic “Prince of Bummers” piece in 1993 for the New Yorker. See Marie’s scan at http://www.webheights.net/speakingcohen/lw1.htm.

Thanks for the dance Anjani and Leonard. We love you both.
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

I can only imagine, Dick!...Thanks for your lovely account.

Sophia
Diane

Post by Diane »

Yes, thanks for that Dick. Fabulous.
Fully realize now that I could never have done any better choosing an artist to obsess about.
Hal E. Lujah

Re: April 24th at Joe's

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Similar to the European fan experience, once we mastered the club’s security system, with much assistance from Esther, forum posters were hosted graciously by Anjani and Leonard in their dressing rooms. They signed things, posed with fans, and encouraged everyone to “take your time and stay a while” (though the line of waiting fans was long.) Fully realize now that I could never have done any better choosing an artist to obsess about. The ultimate gentleman, and his gorgeous and warm companion.

I was also pleased to say hello to Hal Willner again, and give a nod to Elvis Costello and Diana Krall at his celebrity table. Willner told me Glass had been at the table but was backstage when I was there. I lucked into a brief opportunity to see Lorca and congratulate her on her photography duty (a Glass/Cohen portrait at Philip’s home). We had wonderful time with Geoff and Donna, Evelyn, Lizzytish, Zack, Bobbie and Marc, and were happy for the chance to greet Damellon and her family. Sorry we missed Erik.

For the second show, we commandeered the celebrity table and took Elvis and Diana’s seats. Esther kept the glow going by introducing us to Leon Wieseltier and a friend, and they joined Dawn, Linda and I at our table. Leon is an old friend of Leonard’s. He is literary editor of the New Republic, and the song “Love Itself” is dedicated to him. He wrote the classic “Prince of Bummers” piece in 1993 for the New Yorker. See Marie’s scan at http://www.webheights.net/speakingcohen/lw1.htm.

Thanks for the dance Anjani and Leonard. We love you both
::Dick,
thanks for your account. I was there, but didn't know about this access you had. How you did come about with getting into the dressing room? I have posted here and never heard about that.
Hal E. Lujah
dick

Post by dick »

Hal

Every concert/venue/artist combination seems to work differently

There were threads here about Warsaw and London, and one specifically about forum fans that would be coming to joe's -- sorry we missed you.
If the artist is willing, as Leonard and Anjani were on Tuesday, patience was rewarded.

Will you be attending again Sunday? Many of us will be back again for the terrific show that Anjani has arranged. Hope to say hi if you are.

Dick
dolphinswim80

leonard at joes 29th

Post by dolphinswim80 »

Hi dick ,I am flying over from Ireland for the 29th show .I have seen Leonard perform in Ireland twice and also went to Toronto last year for the Indigo book signing.What are the chances he will appear on Sunday,did anyone adk him this.I am an Anjani fan anyway so will be happy either way.Any tips on how much it takes to bribe a security guard to get backstage .lol
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

This is from Ken:
A member of one of my UK Dylan groups is over in New York on holiday at the moment and he has just posted this message which I thought I would share.

We enjoyed this last night much more than I'd anticipated, Ken. No
doubt the intimacy of the venue helped, along with some of her family
and friends being there. She said it was the quietiest they'd played
and it was all very mellow with great sensitive percussion too.
Anjani's got a geat voice, with a much greater range than I'd picked up
on from the Warsaw show. Although not billed to appear, unlike for the
show here a few days ago, Leonard appeared twice for a couple of duets
and totally charming too, beaming away.... All was only around 20-30
feet away from where we stood at the bar, with a perfect view of the
stage. And tickets at only $20 too!

Thanks greatly for alerting me to the show,

Robin

Another happy customer I would say, and a Dylan one at that!!

Ta Ken
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Here are some awesome shots by Linda (also to be featured on The Files!)

Last edited by jarkko on Tue May 01, 2007 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

[img]http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com\bvegan3.jpg[/img]

More wonderful pictures from Joe's Pub shot by Brooklyn Vegan
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... hen_a.html
(Link provided by Judith)

Some of those pictures will be available on the Files soon!!

Note: the other contents of the original "B.Vegan" thread have been moved to the Everything Else section. This thread deals only with the wonderful concerts!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

This is from our member Sealharvey:
I went to the April 24, 9 P.M. show. I am still reverberating with the specialness of that evening. Seeing leonard Cohen and Anjani turned a dark lit theater into a planatarium. I felt like I had just reurned from the beach and I was going out with all my best friends. In fact I was with my best friends. We waited outside in line holding our tickets carefully. Wonderfull anticipation. Slow down time to appreciate every moment.

Inside the theater is small. Even if you are in the back you can make out the shining of their eyes. But I have played Anjani's CD and replayed Leonard's Music during the past weeks and I am thrilled to be sitting 15 feet from the stage.Why is it that I travelled five hours to see these two? Looking at the audience I see their excitement, I feel their anticipation and pleasure of being there. I have a Jamesons on ice and absorb.

Connection, communion and Joes Pub turns into cathedral. Then Leonard is standing in front of all of us. He is so at ease. He recites a few lines from The Tower of Song and Anjani steps out. I believe her first song was Blue Alert. Her voice is smooth and so powerful much more so than her CD. Oh my this is going to be better thn I expected. And her voice continued to find depth and nuances where all our hearts were.

The acoustics were unimaginably good. Her band and arangements the best I heard since some great concerts in the seventies. Everyone is silently listening. There is no talking just a hushed awe and clapping, and some standing ovations.

Anjani is so happy to be singing for us: she is thrilled to be singing Leonard's songs. Can this concert get any better? And then Leonard is on stage. His humour in his eyes and smile. Their love so strong as she rests her head on his shoulder. Love in our cultural ruins. Their duet a fine closing to their show. Oh yes Leonards voice was deeper and better than ever. But what a man. He allowed the celebration to be the love they shared; we were lucky enough to be part of the their
hope, their sadness. and their love.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Marie forwarded the names of the new band:

Musical director / keyboards - Mark McMillen
Guitar - Steve Gregory
Upright Bass - Ron Suffredini
Percussion - Bryan Brock
dick

Post by dick »

Sunday, April 29, Joe’s Pub

They did it again. Anjani, her terrific new band, and Leonard Cohen entranced a packed Joe’s Pub for a third show in six days. I have rarely seen such a unanimously thrilled audience at the end of a concert.

The impact of most women’s beauty is highest on initial meeting, and diminishes some over time. But Anjani’s beauty illustrates the opposite phenomenon. She inexplicably seems sexier and more attractive with each repeated sighting. Her presence is amazingly soft, sultry, sensuous, and sexy, making putty of every man watching her.

Her voice and delivery are the primary appeal; her lovely face and lithe figure just add to the impression. During the audience hush while she is singing her wonderful Blue Alert songs, not even the number 6 train rumbling below the stage could break the spell. Her new band, Mark McMillen - musical director and keyboards, Steve Gregory - guitar, Ron Suffredini - upright bass, Bryan Brock-percussion, along with backup vocalist Dominique Plaisant provide able assistance, but it is Anjani who dominates the moment.

The benefit show before the concert made it difficult for any sound check and delayed the show’s opening. It also resulted in Anjani getting off to two false starts. But she brought us immediately back into her spell with her opening song, “Innermost Door.” She next perfectly crooned “No One After You.” She briefly described the background of the album, joking that she was “probably the oldest new artist around,” and moved into “Blue Alert.” She acknowledged Esther in the audience, sitting with a childhood friend from Montreal, and made everyone feel special by praising how much they liked being in New York.

She cited the lyric “I Had to go Crazy to Love You” as leading of necessity to the song, and performed “Crazy to Love You” next, followed by band introductions. As she had on Tuesday, her percussionist led into her inspired cover of “The Gypsy’s Wife,” a definite crowd-pleaser. Anjani then sang “Half the Perfect World.” While Madeline Peyroux does a very acceptable interpretation, it can’t compare with hearing the true original live. Anjani did not disappoint. As if we weren’t pumped enough, she then delivered “The Smokey Life.” I was immediately convinced that she was born to cover that wonderful tune from “Recent Songs.” There was an extra thrill, since producer and co-writer on that album, John Lissauer, was in the audience. I believe the Friday Montreal show was the first time the song was added to the repertoire, so we New Yorkers were blessed with premiers of two new covers. I sincerely hope they will both find their way onto albums.

Anjani acknowledged that her live performances are different from the record, and then brought the master on stage to accompany her on “one of Leonard’s favorites,” “Never Got to Love You.” It again brought tears. “Thanks for the Dance” led to standing applause, and she came back to do encores. After accepting roses from Linda and I, and a candle from another fan, she sang “Nightingale.”

A second encore included the now famous Biblical duet, “Whither Thou Goest,” elevating the audience to celestial realms. After wondering if New Yorkers “had no jobs to get to in the morning,” perhaps momentarily forgetting we’re the city that never sleeps, Anjani closed the nearly 90 minute show with her exquisite rendition of “The Mist.”

Forum fans fortunate enough to be in attendance included Geoff and Donna, Ken and Suzanne, Eva, Evelyn, Steve, Karen, Richard McGraw and Zack Oberzan. While a couple of us made brief back stage hellos, security was even tighter than Tuesday. And, while they were warm and welcoming as always, I could imagine how exhausted Leonard and Anjani had to be.

If ever you have an opportunity to attend an Anjani show, do not miss it. The music puts you into an altered state of bliss and acceptance. No matter that they are wry and cynical at times, the lyrics end up being refreshingly uplifting when delivered by Anjani and her talented band. This is flat out unforgettable entertainment.

Oh, and did I mention how sexy Anjani is?
Neophyte

Post by Neophyte »

Wow! I felt like I was there! What a beautiful description of the atmosphere of the evening and the power of its stars! Thank you, Dick!! (Sounds like you might have enjoyed it. :wink: ) *off to dial up Anjani on my iPod*
Hallelujah!!!
Eva

Joe's Pub April 29, 2007, New York

Post by Eva »

What else to say? Dick's review says it all, but thank you...

Thank you again to my LC friends...
Dick & Linda for sharing your table and for your kindness & support through the tears of happiness,

Thanks to Geoff & Donna, next time the drinks etc. are on me.

To Esther, a most gracious lady and probably Leonard's biggest fan, thanks for being so kind and receptive to us fans,

To Anjani, for your beautiful & sexy voice and spine-chilling interpretation of LC's songs,

And a thank you to you Mr. Leonard Cohen, for gracing us with your presence and music and allowing us into your "Tower of Song"
and a special 'merci beaucoup' for the delicious macaroon.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
Diane

Post by Diane »

Still reading all of these great reviews, and I thank you all for them. And for the pics!

Return to “Comments & Questions”