April 24th at Joe's

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed May 02, 2007 11:19 pm

That's wonderful, Dick 8) ... and your additions were truly that, Eva :D . It really takes me back :D .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie » Thu May 03, 2007 1:10 am

Dick, that was an absolutely fabulous review - you made the show come alive for me again. Marc and I were so pleased to be there on the 24th, and just now, reading your vivid words, I was able to transport myself back to the wonderful atmosphere of that very special and unique evening.

I hereby officially and forever bestow upon you the title of "Forum Reporter Extraordinaire"

Thank you, BD.
B
margaret

Post by margaret » Thu May 03, 2007 2:05 am

Excellent reports and photos everyone.

Thank you so much,

Margaret
dick

Post by dick » Thu May 03, 2007 8:56 pm

Thanks for the kudos Neophyte, Eva, Diane, Tish, Bodacious, Bobbie, and Margaret. Be careful or I'll revert to being a braggart!

I hope only to communicate my pure pleasure for being there.

Dick
edwin hawley

Post by edwin hawley » Fri May 04, 2007 6:15 pm

dick

Post by dick » Sat May 05, 2007 1:03 am

Many thanks!

I was sure someone must have filmed them.

Hope someone also got The Gypsy's Wife and The Smokey Life.

Never imagined I would appreciate a flashbulb :)
damellon

Post by damellon » Sat May 05, 2007 2:14 am

Dick - I have videos of 'Whither thou goest' (volume weak) and 'Never got to love you', recorded from 2nd show in Joe's on the 24th, both brighter than the ones on YouTube. Problem is they're sideways (camera bought 2 days before the show, so 15 year old amateur operator is to be congratulated for getting anything since I was transfixed, so of no help to her). If I can get them to the vertical, I'll put them up on YouTube and let you know. Only now recovering from the concerts on 24th. Would I ever have recovered if I'd met them!
damellon
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat May 05, 2007 4:24 am

I had no idea what you meant until I saw the video, Dick :) ~ those glimpses were a treat, weren't they?

Thanks for all of these, Edwin. If only YouTube-style videos could accurately capture the fullness and balance of the rendering. It's still great to have something, though. I'm glad I got the opportunity to see and hear Anjani do "Smokey Life" here, at least for now. The lighting highlights her in varied and lovely ways on "Gypsy Wife," which she covers brilliantly.

I'm interested to see your footage, too, Damellon... as soon as the film wakes up from its nap and stands upright :wink: . I understand too well that 'new camera' thing... your situation sounds correctable, though 8) .

I can't help but wonder if Anjani [and Leonard] are okay with this kind of exposure. I hope so. Anyone watching surely knows to make allowances for the automatically compromised presentations of their performances, yes? I know I do. I can attest to the Live performances being far superior. It's great, though, to be able to see, again, the singing I've already seen; and to see for the first time "Smokey Life," which I would have loved to have seen in person. Anjani brings her own, lovely stamp to it.

Thanks for sharing these!

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Gypsy_Wife

Post by Gypsy_Wife » Sat May 05, 2007 6:01 am

Dick wrote:Many thanks!

I was sure someone must have filmed them.

Hope someone also got The Gypsy's Wife and The Smokey Life.

I have tickets to the concert at Hotel Cafe. They request no flash photography. So we will see how well my camera works with ambient lighting, assuming there is any.
Here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sat May 05, 2007 9:07 am

Here is a great quality video of Leonard's Intro at Joe's on the 29th & Anjani's rendition of Gypsy Wife.

http://www.downtowntv.com/downtown-live ... njani.html
Last week a very special night took place at Joe's Pub when Leonard Cohen introduced Anjani, whose new album Blue Alert he co-wrote and produced. this week's Downtown Live features his poetic grace in introducing Anjani who then performs one of Leonard's own songs "The Gypsy's Wife".

Stay tuned for next week's episode, in which Leonard Cohen joins Anjani in a rare and magical live musical encounter.
Thanks to Marie and Angelica for the link!
edwin hawley

Post by edwin hawley » Sat May 05, 2007 9:14 am

That video must be from the 24th. Leonard did no introductions on the 29th.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sat May 05, 2007 10:29 am

In San Francisco Anjani will be performing with the Conspiracy of Beards:
And how does the duo feel about her opening act, Conspiracy of Beards, a San Francisco male choir that exclusively performs a cappella renditions of Cohen's songs? "I'm looking forward to hearing them," Thomas says. "But I don't know if Leonard's going to come. Sooner or later I've got to fly this thing on my own."

Anjani performs with Conspiracy of Beards at 8 p.m. Thursday at the Swedish American Hall, 2170 Market St. in San Francisco. $20. (415) 861-5016. http://www.cafedunord.com.
Complete article here:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... PJS771.DTL
dick

Post by dick » Tue May 08, 2007 2:54 am

Thanks so very much for generous words of praise Bo -- Linda an I are both very grateful.

Coming from you they feel especially satisfying!

Gypsey Wife... Linda did not use flash on any of her shots... so you gotta chance to get some good ones. Good luck.
dick

Post by dick » Tue May 08, 2007 6:50 pm

More good news ..

email from joe's pub contains link to the two duets. Fabulous stuff!!!

http://www.downtowntv.com/downtown-live ... cohen.html

Return to “Comments & Questions”