Your Favorite Leonard Cohen Line

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Those really are very graphically descriptive.
Nightstalker

Post by Nightstalker »

Ya know, I saw this topic immediately after joining the forum and started composing a reply. I wanted to state my thoughts as perfectly as possible because I was writing to a group of people that appreciate an artist whose works are beautiful and near perfect. So I wanted to emulate his style just as much as I could to reflect well upon him and my thoughts about him and to not detract from anyone elses choices because all of them were so correct. That reply went through more gyrations than a belly dancer, and I could just never quite complete it. It is copied below in its most recent iteration and you can read it if you wish. It accomplishes some of what I wanted. However, as I came home with my children listening to a LC album the truth dawned on me. My favorite Leonard Cohen lyric is quite simply the last one I heard or thought about........

I like this topic and literally all of the choices I have read but have problems, as many of you have also stated, having my own most 'favorite' line. However, in the spirit of community and having the desire to be a contributing member of this community I will narrow my field of legion to a few in a true compromise when considering how much I love his verses. My choices are also made in context with the all verses of the particular song from which they come reverberating in my head and the musical arrangement reinforcing the feelings. His choices of music and musical techniques to reinforce feelings or add irony is impeccable. I know others have chosen similar, also, but I can only chant 'you're right from your side and I am right from mine' (words from another legend) and you from your point of view and then I from mine, if I chose the same or if I neglect. Leonard (I'd be blessed to know him well enough to be a friend and use only his familiar) Cohen's lyrics speak to me in myriad ways that play over my life like a cold mountain stream flows over smooth pebbles when my mind is burning with ire or confusion, like the warm waves wash away minute life from the shore to nourish greater life in the depths when my spirit is starving, like my beloveds' breaths warm my face even as age diminishes my vigor, slays my memory and sharpens my needs, desires and empathy for others as now I face dieing all too soon. Surely most of us like his lyrics because of the way they 'touch' us and due to all our intricate, unique personal experiences that may relate to one or another of his lyrics. Some of them remind us eloquently of people or places or events, some of more esoteric, chimerical or ephemeral phenomena and some require enormous leaps of conscientiousness to even feebly grasp at the full scope of their actual meanings. All, somehow, are peculiarly satisfying to me. I hope (and have come to believe from reading your comments) that you feel likewise. I grok his lyrics, or most of them.

So, kindred spirits, I offer my choices in no particular order of significance with love for all and thanks to Mr. Cohen. It is yours to guess, if you even desire to know, why I choose each particular verse, as they are yours to cherish in your own way.

I have tried
In my way
To be Free.

Your hair upon the pillow like a sleepy golden storm.......

There ain't no cure for love

Blinded by the dazzling light of Closing Time.

the baffled king composing........

Mr. Cohen, we hardly know you, you have done enough and we should leave you to peace, but would you sing Hallelujah just once more?
"For the captain had quitted the long drawn strife
And in far Simoree had taken a wife." (R Kipling)
Diane

Post by Diane »

I enjoyed reading your post, Nightstalker, thanks. I love the lines you picked.

One of my top choices:

Myself I long for love and light,
but must it come so cruel, and oh so bright?

Diane
st theresa

and jesus..

Post by st theresa »

and Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water and he spent a long time watching from a lonely wooden tower and when he knew for certain only drowning men could see him, he said all men shall be sailors then until the seas shall free them.

that line caught my attention lo these many years past and has always been with me. but like others have said before me,. there are so many.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I, too, enjoyed reading your lengthier explanation of your love of Leonard's lyrics, Nightstalker ~ and laughed at your [preceding it] 'conclusion' ~ as is with us all.

Like you, St. Theresa ~ Leonard's first album was the bonding agent.

"She sank beneath your wisdom like a stone" ~ only one of them all. Powerful.
bobbymc

Post by bobbymc »

''You saw her bathing on the roof,her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you''.I love that line .
Quasand

Re: Your Favorite Leonard Cohen Line

Post by Quasand »

It was half my fault and half the atmosphere

I looked for you in everyone and they called me on that too

I am an old scholar, better-looking now than when I was young. That's what sitting on your ass does to your face.
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA »

I love to sing to him and her and her sweet bottom coat that is holy ..... :razz: :oops:
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

"If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn
they will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem."

I love that!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

If these thoughts should interest you, even for a moment, you are lost.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Two favorites at this moment:

We are so small between the stars,
so large against the sky

and. . .

and I was tumbled up with them
in formless circumstance
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

I went to a halloween fancy dress party last week and all I could think of as I looked around the room was :
"If you want another kind of love I'll wear a mask for you "
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
holydove

Post by holydove »

I caught the darkness
drinking from your cup
I caught the darkness
from your little ruby cup

and later in the song:

I should have seen it coming
it was right behind your eyes
those pools so deep and heartless
I just had to take a dive

(These lyrics are from the version at the soundcheck in Venice; he changed some lyrics in the version he did In Nashville) I just love this new song - can't wait for him to put in on an album!
holydove

Post by holydove »

I fell with my angel down the chain of command

and,

I know you know why you're lighting those
(from Isle of Wight)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist, especially that last one; there are so many favorite lines. . .
CinCin

Post by CinCin »

I know how you're hanging, I think I can see where you're pinned.
From bitter searching of the heart, we rise to play a greater part. Frank Scott (Although I would never have heard it if it weren't for Leonard Cohen).

Phoenix, April 2009; Nashville, Nov. 5, 2009; San Jose, Nov. 13, 2009.

Return to “Comments & Questions”