Perfect Beauty

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

True, Lightning... there is the other end of the continuum that would make it a commercial jingle. For me, that's not the case, though; as I'm not mindlessly 'reciting' the lyrics without thinking... they are thought-provoking and I'm processing their meaning, with Anjani's voice and the music remaining interesting to me. It may be a matter of one's taste, too, with this simply not being yours. I find it voluptuous, yet pure.

Love,
Lizzy
Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan

Post by Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan »

I would love to hear Leonard sing "gimme a break, gimme a break, break me off a piece of that kit-kat bar." That would be hilarious and creepy. Especially if he sang it slowwwwly. Sales would go through the roof and no one would be able to get that out of their heads. Make the kit-kat song one of gravelly-voiced leering sexuality. (These are the thoughts that kept me out of the really good schools.) :wink:

I can relate to the feeling that some people have mentioned. It's does seem like Cohen's ghost or something to hear his lyrics but not his "voice" as I think Lizz put it. It doesn't cheapen the lyrics themselves but I do feel shortchanged.

And as Kush said, I think there could have been something done to make it a little more musically interesting. Like the sound effects on "The Guests" or something. It wouldn't have to be flashy, just a little more differentiation to the songs.

"Even damnation is poisoned with rainbows"-Leonard
But I'm still glad to get exposure to the lyrics themselves. No matter who is singing.
Kevin
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I have to go with those who lean toward the 'slickness' of it. She does have a lovely voice, no doubt, but it does lean toward the jazz/pop sytle of Diana Krall. Warnes, really 'felt' his lyrics, and by proxy I did too. But with Anjani, I don't get the same feeling. Although, I do like her as 'back-up'. Dear Heather was a lovely piece of work. From what I've heard of Blue Alert, it's nice, but it doesn't 'grab' me.

Return to “Comments & Questions”