how did you get into leonard cohen?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
philo

how did you get into leonard cohen?

Postby philo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:08 pm

curious to know how some of you got into his words and music.......
life is the school, love is the lesson.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:43 pm

Hi Phil 8) ~

My former husband introduced me to Leonard's music. He was amazed by it and knew I would be to... I remember him watching me for my reaction as I listened. I was awestruck. We were in the process of separation toward divorce at the time and we continued in that process; yet, in the years that followed, we periodically made reconciliation attempts and continued to bond further over Leonard's music. We had nothing of this nature in our marriage, though we did have opera... so we weren't bereft of valuable music. Still, the times we spent listening to Leonard, and singing together as he played the guitar, or him singing Leonard solo, were precious beyond belief. Even as our relationship remained uncertain throughout the years, "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye," "So Long, Marianne," "Bird On The Wire," "Master Song," "Famous Blue Raincoat," "Last Year's Man," "Please Don't Pass Me By," and "One of Us Cannot Be Wrong," and many others played heavily between us... and sustained me above bitterness in the face of loss.

My former husband and I remain friends, and Leonard holds a place of honour between us, for all he represents between us and for the profound nature of his music. We both admire him intensely. No one has played such a huge role in my life, beyond my father and my former husband, who plays and sings Leonard's music sublimely.

Love,
Lizzy
philo

Postby philo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:02 pm

lizzy - that is just so moving............. thank you for sharing it with us
philo

Postby philo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:16 pm

1969 and i was in love for the first time. steve was a poet and artist, i remember clearly the day he showed me the cover of that first vinyl album. i was awe struck by the face peering back at me from the cover - i was immediately hooked and wanted to find out more. i remember listening to that l.p. over and again, agonising over the meaning of some of those lyrics, interpreting and, more likely, misinterpreting......... for some inexplicable reason that album eventually became warped and unplayable - ionly to be replaced some twenty years later by the 'indestructable' cd version.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:32 pm

Oh, yes, Phil. I remember the face as well... and how shocked I was when I first learned that he toured. He seemed from another time, place, and dimension ~ yet, I was able to take a train to Chicago, to see him at the Quiet Knight; such a fitting name, isn't it? Those earthly loves may not work out as we would want, yet there's a love that transcends and that remains when they've brought into our lives such a gift. The woman half consumed by fire was equally undefinable. From all aspects, Leonard drew me in, never to be released.

I remember, too, the impact of those lyrics :shock: ... unlike anything I'd ever heard, including Dylan's "Ballad of a Thin Man" and some other intrigueing ones of his. The lyrics just kept taking me deeper and deeper, to places I'd never been, yet wanted to return to, again... and again. Some of those places I learned to be 'revealed areas of me' ~ Leonard helped me grow and discover who I am.

With Steve, an artist and poet, it makes natural sense that he would be the one to bring you to Leonard. May I mention once again that I'm so glad he did :D .

If you want the album, again, I'll watch for it. I came across it and gave it to Kevin, after making an open offer; well, actually, I offered one woman, in particular, who no longer seems to visit [her stay was maybe just one posting] and who never responded. Kevin did, however, so that settled it. Let me know.

"Passing Through" was another of Leonard's songs that carried many meanings as we sang. "Suzanne," of course, was symbolically perfect in many ways during some of those times. "Suzanne" was also who I resonated with and still do... and with my former husband's incredible mind and our being apart, "travel" worked in many ways.

Love,
Lizzy
jerry

Postby jerry » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:50 pm

I heard him sing.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
philo

Postby philo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:34 pm

jerry - live or on record/cd/vinyl?
jerry

Postby jerry » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:37 pm

Record.On the radio late one night.He sang One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong.Around 1974.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:35 pm

Dear Phil ~

" . . . in love for the first time" ~ the exponential impact of this with Leonard's words and music 8) .

Love,
Lizzy
Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:42 pm

It was 1971 and I was still young.
A small group of us were lounging in a very large house (the parents were away )
We had had a long day doing very little and it had been hard work.
We were tired and lounged in the lounge. We had an armchair or sofa each....it was a very large lounge. Much lounging was afoot.
The night wore on and we listened to music on the state-of- the-art mono record player.
The LPs were stacked.
We told stories.
We told jokes.
We swapped hopes for the future.
We fell asleep...but not simultaneously.
There was always someone awake to turn the LPs over once the stack had been exhausted.
Some LPs were discarded and the stack diminished in size.
Eventually there was only one LP playing.
'Love and Hate'
First the Love and then the Hate.... and then the love..and then the hate..continuous and merged.
Always someone to turn it over.
I had never heard this man before.
He was now in my sleep.
He was now in my waking moments.
I remember hearing 'its 4 in the morning' and I could just make out the time on the clock.
It was 4 in the morning.
I don't remember much after that...I mean for the remainder of the night, not the remainder of my life
Love and Hate had found a way into me. The voice, the music, the words, the welcome intrusion.
The occasion was unique and I didn't want to lose it.
It was the first day of the rest of my life.
We all went our separate ways after 1971....adulthood beckoned. I took Leonard with me (no, I didn't steal the LP )
Pete
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:07 pm

Dear Pete ~

You have such a way of describing things that is so pleasurable, and captures the passage of time and the emotional landscape so well, in any experience. Thanks for sharing, as you have, your introduction to Leonard.

Love,
Lizzy

Dear Phil ~

Jerry's account of his introduction is somewhere here. He describes it briefly, but it's very easy to imagine the impact of his introduction. I hope he'll find it and bring it here.

Love,
Lizzy
smile

Postby smile » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:59 pm

In 1968 several girls were fancying a smashing lad from a local school, I was no looker quite dumpy but as I was into swimming I carried it off well. Anyway I was invited with his cousin to go up to his bedroom to see his record collection and he let me borrow Songs OF Leonard Cohen and the rest is history...the lad I hear you say...no he wasn`t my type, I like 6 footers with dark hair hence I`ve been maried to one for 35years last Monday.
Last edited by smile on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is love so treasure every day.........
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:17 pm

Ive just gotten to your account, Smile. "Songs From A Room" ~ what a mindblast that had to have been for you 8) . Were you in high school at the time? Thirty-five years tells me you didn't need the smashing lad from the local school, even if he had been your type... you did far better. However, it is smashing that you learned of Leonard through him. You did return the album, right :wink: ? I love hearing about longtime marriages, as they seem to be becoming a shining artifact of the past :? !

~ Lizzy
lightning

Postby lightning » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:59 am

Seems like everyone has a personal story to tell and no-one mentions record company advertising, magazine and newspaper rock critics or any of the usual star-making machine millions of dollars are spent on. Record company executives take note.
st theresa

Postby st theresa » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:34 am

It was 1969 or thereabouts that my older brother returned from a trip to Halifax and pulled out a little tape with the title Songs from a Room.
He played it for us and we laughed uncontrollably at Bird on a Wire--My dad was a drunk in a midnight choir and had also been carried bodily out of a Gordon Lightfoot concert for heckling the musician, so I really connected to
"i have tried in my way to be free"
My five brothers and parents were all musical--my younger sister had the voice of an angel and my older sister had beatle bangs. I was the poetry lover and I loved leonard cohen on the spot. My brother (who not long after that succumbed to mental illness) played leonard's songs and sounded much like leonard. I became unavoidably tangled up with leonard cohen. My other great musical love in those years was Janis Joplin --not so strangely. hahah
My father had been thrown out of Gordon's concert after bursting out with

""Hey play me and bobby mcgee"

True life is stranger than fiction eh?

Return to “Comments & Questions”