Sony's Dangerous New Copy Protection

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
linmag

Postby linmag » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:11 pm

Most people respect the people whose music they listen to. Most people do not like to rip off people whom they respect. Therefore most people continue to pay for the music they listen to. However there always has been, and presumably always will be, a minority who will get as much as they can for as little as they can. It is not possible to legislate against these people without prejudicing the 'honest' majority.

Most musicians make more money from live performances than from revenue from recordings. If the mega-stars (who are the minority of musicians) are starting to feel the pinch, they can always go out and perform their music. That is, after all, what it's for!
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
jurica

Postby jurica » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:12 pm

Fljotsdale wrote:No matter how you justify it to yourselves, whether you steal from a rich person or a poor person, you are still stealing. You are still thieves. That's all there is to it.

And I don't give a darn if you don't like it.
hmmm... and that's supposed to stop me from stealing? the fact that i'm a thief?

who cares. the title you pin on me makes no diference to me. so i'm a thief? it's just a word, you know? a name of the rose. it would smell the same however you decide to call it.
lightning

Postby lightning » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:59 pm

"The law doth punish man or woman who steals the goose from off the common
But lets the greater felon loose
Who steals the common from the goose." Annonymous
Young dr. Freud

Postby Young dr. Freud » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:21 pm

Once again, Jurica is illogical.

YdF
linda_lakeside

Postby linda_lakeside » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:37 pm

I really, really hate the idea of some guy in suit, messing with my computer. This is the first I've heard of this, and I am only guessing, but it sounds like the beginning of more Big Brother activity, which I didn't ask for. If this 'malware', screws up my computer in some way, are they going to buy me a new one??

I have respect for artists and their royalties. Sure, we all do. But, I also have a great deal of respect for my computer (not a small expense in anyone's budget). I don't have time to read the entire article Linmag so kindly posted, but I'm betting that they don't ask for your 'permission' to install their gizmos inside your machinery. :roll:
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:53 pm

Good point, from the "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" reverse-perspective, lookout point, Linda . . . I guess they're not truly committed to their premise, or shall we say principle, are they :roll: ?
margaret

Postby margaret » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:45 pm

I hear from a young techie that this device of Sony's is being withdrawn. There are lots of lawsuits flying about and the Sony company is back-peddling as fast as it can.

It is the Big Brother is watching which is the most worrying in this.

As someone has already said, there are lots of less famous musicians who make a reasonable living from performing their material live. They actually invite their audience who purchase their cd's to copy and pass them on to their friends who will no doubt pay to see them perform next time they are in the area.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:07 pm

Yes, that's what I'm hearing, too, Margaret ~ about the whole deal. All for good reason, too.

Great to see musicians encouraging sharing from that perspective 8) .
Fljotsdale

Postby Fljotsdale » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:58 am

jurica wrote:
Fljotsdale wrote:No matter how you justify it to yourselves, whether you steal from a rich person or a poor person, you are still stealing. You are still thieves. That's all there is to it.

And I don't give a darn if you don't like it.
hmmm... and that's supposed to stop me from stealing? the fact that i'm a thief?

who cares. the title you pin on me makes no diference to me. so i'm a thief? it's just a word, you know? a name of the rose. it would smell the same however you decide to call it.
No. I don't expect anything I say or do to stop anyone from stealing. I am not so egotistical. Just egotistical enough to call a spade a spade, not a rose. :wink:
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
jurica

Postby jurica » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:37 pm

Fljotsdale wrote:Just egotistical enough to call a spade a spade, not a rose.
he he he

the fact is that i usually call a spade a 'lopata', and a rose a 'ruža' :wink:

Return to “Comments & Questions”