Sony's Dangerous New Copy Protection

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lightning

Sony's Dangerous New Copy Protection

Postby lightning » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:52 pm

Seems Sony has devised a means of copy protection that can behave as a virus or a worm, damaging your computer if you try to make copies if I understand this right--a sad and sorry ending to the musical free for all many have been enjoying until a way to defeat it is figured out.

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/12/s ... riora.html
Teratogen

Postby Teratogen » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:11 am

they are being sued for this right now.
"Rock and roll is dead, but I am its revival. I'm prophesied by sages died, from Buddha to the Bible." --TERATOGEN
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen (music page)
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen666 (personal page)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/TheNoHoldsBard?ref=profile (Facebook page)
colin

Postby colin » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:27 pm

What an absolutely appalling state of affairs demonstrated by SONY.

It's disgusting!
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:10 am

There are also some ways of circumventing it ~ I heard something about it a couple weeks ago, and then again today. Something about holding the Shift key down while doing something else [some amazingly simple solution], and then some other way of addressing it, as well. Apparently, Sony is now sending people free cd's, if they complain as a result of this. I believe they're pulling the remaining cd's from the shelves, too. There's a blog and some other site regarding all of this. You should be able to hear the segment on it, if you go to npr.org and then to the music section. It should be there, somewhere.

It's absurd that they were doing it. It's also supposed to have been feeding back to home [Sony] what else you were listening to. Some bizarre, "Big Brother" kind of thing.

~ Lizzy
Teratogen

Postby Teratogen » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:32 am

fucking BASTARDS!!! so GREEDY!!! arrggghhh!!! makes aspiring musicians like me afraid of getting anal-raped by these brutal sons of bitches. :roll:
"Rock and roll is dead, but I am its revival. I'm prophesied by sages died, from Buddha to the Bible." --TERATOGEN
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen (music page)
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen666 (personal page)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/TheNoHoldsBard?ref=profile (Facebook page)
lightning

Postby lightning » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:32 pm

There's something on-line about putting tape the size of a finger nail on the outer edge of the Cd, then it can be ripped like any other. I don't have any copy protected CDs so I haven't tried it.
Fljotsdale

Re: Sony's Dangerous New Copy Protection

Postby Fljotsdale » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:39 am

lightning wrote:Seems Sony has devised a means of copy protection that can behave as a virus or a worm, damaging your computer if you try to make copies if I understand this right--a sad and sorry ending to the musical free for all many have been enjoying until a way to defeat it is figured out.

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/12/s ... riora.html
Brilliant idea! :lol: I LIKE it! I just hate the way musicians, composers, lyricists, authors, etc are ripped off by the greedy public who want to enjoy their hard work for free.
Don't people realise that if the production company loses profits because they are ripped off, the authors/composers/musicians lose money as well? :evil:
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
colin

Postby colin » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:13 am

While I don't have a problem with record companies protecting their investments, I'm not sure that placing a deliberately malicious and destructive code that can damage computers and spy on people's listening habits is the method.

Do you really want to put such a disc in your machine, never mind copy it?

This is more about maintaining record company profits than any concern for the improvished artist. I'm led believe that a very high percentage of "pirated" discs come from the catalogues of the major top selling artists, though I do understand that Michael Jackson is a little short these days. I also don't see that SONY are exactly on the verge of bankrupcy despite their protestations.

There are people who copy discs, play them, then if they enjoy it, go and buy the original. It seems a case of "try before you buy". Fair enough.

Make music more affordable.

Colin
Chaske

Re: Sony's Dangerous New Copy Protection

Postby Chaske » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:22 pm

Brilliant idea! :lol: I LIKE it! I just hate the way musicians, composers, lyricists, authors, etc are ripped off by the greedy public who want to enjoy their hard work for free.
Don't people realise that if the production company loses profits because they are ripped off, the authors/composers/musicians lose money as well? :evil:
[/quote]

Well, my dear Fljotsdale, this could become some discussion about if culture may only a thing available for those ones who got the big bucks in their pockets or for all people.
Of course I'm not the one who wants to see all the artists unpaid for their hard work, but I don't want to see all of those production companies getting nastier and nastier and making culture more and more unavailable for everyone, either - this is certainly not in the sense of ANY serious artist.
It divides our culture more and more. Of course that's nothing new, you just have to cast an eye upon history to see where this may led. First symptoms of loss of culture you can see if you turn on your TV- and the less people being able to afford a theatre or cinema visit- or even those ones who can't even buy a simple CD - the less culture will be left ... this is going spiralling down.

This obscene, nothing more. Yes, really a brilliant idea, indeed.

Merry Xmas, Chaske
"Dew on the ruins. The youngest freshness of the world on that which is of oldest. This is my faith and in my opinion, the priciple of art and life." - A. Camus -
lightning

Postby lightning » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:49 pm

Art is not work to be paid for like ditch-digging, it's communication. Capitalism made it into a commodity like meat. If communication can be bought and sold it can be corrupted by money. If you think that hasn't happened, turn on the TV or any other commercial media. If nobody can sell, then nobody can "sell-out."
When that happens art might be genuine at last.
Fljotsdale

Postby Fljotsdale » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:27 am

What happened to SAVING UP to buy something you want? Few people in the West are denied 'culture' because they can't afford it.
The trouble is, you've all got this idea that if you want something, you must have it NOW, THIS INSTANT, while it is still new and nobody else has it.
But it will still be there in a few weeks when you've saved for the disc.
Do you know how long it took me to save up for the very first book I bought for myself? It cost 12/6d, old money. That's roughly 62/63 pence.
I got 1/- a week pocketmoney, so it took over 3 months to save up.
Ok, that was then, this is now. BUT - I STILL either save up for stuff I want, or GO WITHOUT something so I can get it NOW.
Ther is NEVER an excuse for ripping stuff off. It's like shoplifting. Which is theft. Would you steal stuff from a shop? Ripping off music or anything else is STEALING and there is NO sodding excuse for it. It isn't as though you will starve without the music you steal, will you?

Nightstalker

Postby Nightstalker » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:16 pm

This is not that complicated an issue but Sony's approach to solving what they perceive as a problem is just not acceptable to me. Traditionally and legally you buy the music and the rights to it for yourself when you purchase and album. BUT you have always had the attached right of entertaining family and friends with the media as long as you do not charge for this. There have always been infringements on this BTW. For instance, big parties where there is an attendance charge and people come to dance to music that is not technically owned by the people who are going to make a profit on the dance is a technical infringement. But these problems have always existed. I made reel to reel tapes copied through a Sansui 2000 with Dolby noise reduction from FM radio in the 60s. That was not illegal. Decades ago it was difficult and time consuming to produce a copy of what you bought (or recorded from the radio) that was asthetically pleasing so this was not usually done. Now, one can produce an exact copy easily and the original producers are afraid that we, the public, will all purchase these copies presumably at some reduced price or copy the music from the internet instead of buying it from the (let's say) legal owners of the rights. What Sony is not considering is that I purchase, along with the right to listen to the music, the right to make myself a copy of the CD so that when my child loses it, or scratches it, or loans it to a friend, I still have the music on 'my' copy. If I choose to sell even one copy then I have broken the law and should be prosecuted. That is the way it has been and the way it should continue to be. I will not buy pirated music, I will feel free to make a disc from the web because that right is grandfathered in by communication laws, but I will not sell that disc to anyone. That is the simple way it should be. It is the industry's and country's problem to solve the issue of criminality.
"For the captain had quitted the long drawn strife
And in far Simoree had taken a wife." (R Kipling)
jurica

Postby jurica » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:50 pm

there is this guy, Srdjan Depolo, who writes his own songs, records his own CDs, plays a lot of small gigs and barely meets the ends. i'm always happy to pay for his CDs.

now Sonny's artists... well. if someone shows me a Sonny artist who has less money than i do, i'll take seriously comments like 'I just hate the way musicians, composers, lyricists, authors, etc are ripped off by the greedy public who want to enjoy their hard work for free', but until then, my question would be: why is the work that this greedy mob does (producing food, infrastructure, energy etc. for the artists) so easy that they should be worried if artists aren't pay for their hard work.

come on, be serious. didn't one of them (Lou Reed) tell the truth saying: 'we who have so much, more than any one man does need'.

and i do think that farmers are doing far more important work (and harder) than artists. lets see who will last longer without the other one's products... artists without foor or farmers without music?

so why shouldn't i use every option available to me to make the gap between the oh-so-great them and me, just like they are doing everything they possibly can to make that gap larger?
lightning

Postby lightning » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:19 pm

Know that song "Money for nothing and your chicks for free?" Well, rock star, the party's over.
Fljotsdale

Postby Fljotsdale » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:04 am

I'm sorry. I just DON'T understand that attitude of mind. You guys are beyond my simple understanding that 'Theft is Theft'.

No matter how you justify it to yourselves, whether you steal from a rich person or a poor person, you are still stealing. You are still thieves. That's all there is to it.

And I don't give a darn if you don't like it.

You CAN get legitimate copies. I am aware of that, and have obtained some of Cohen's otherwise unobtainable stuff from people on this site - but they are LEGIT. So you DON'T have to pirate stuff.

Return to “Comments & Questions”