LC and the Yom Kippur war , 1973

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
IMM

Re: LC and the Yom Kippur war , 1973

Post by IMM »

I apologize for forgetting how diverse and international this board can be.
I got a question the other day from someone who wanted to know what I meant by alphabet soup.

It is a reference to old humour about the many agencies which were proliferating within the US government -- the phrase is still used by some.
Examples of commonly known 'initialed' agencies are: NSA, FBI, CIA ....
Some one had once said that - all you had to do was grab some letters from the bottom of the bowl and you would create yet another one. :)
mickjaggerscat

Post by mickjaggerscat »

Speaking of soup, what does IMM stand for?

re: your comment that "I" am suggesting LC went to Havana to spy for JFK who did not get along with the CIA or Allen Dulles... I don't think LC particularly liked the Kennedys, but he would have known Dulles from those secret mind control programs at McGill and Columbia.

As for thumb wrestlng Trudeau, hahaha, he's another one...
IMM

Post by IMM »

mickjaggerscat wrote:re: your comment that "I" am suggesting LC went to Havana to spy for JFK who did not get along with the CIA or Allen Dulles... I don't think LC particularly liked the Kennedys, but he would have known Dulles from those secret mind control programs at McGill and Columbia.
:) The vagaries of language are always such a surprise and delight to me.
I wasn't suggesting anything about your views on Havana, Dulles or JFK.
I thought I was suggesting that you resemble a caricature of a conspiracy theorist.
mickjaggerscat

Post by mickjaggerscat »

clearly you are not paying vy close attention and also have never lived next door to the sjnger.in question. if you had you would be better.anle to read the.writing.on his wallnight all
IMM

Post by IMM »

mickjaggerscat wrote:clearly you are not paying vy close attention and also have never lived next door to the sjnger.in question. if you had you would be better.anle to read the.writing.on his wallnight all
And now, from me ... a sound of silence.
seadove

Post by seadove »

mickjaggerscat wrote:2. The IDF knew about the coming attack from the two fronts one month before the war. The soldiers were on full guard as early as mid September 1973. No one in the IDF was surprised from the attack.

3. The question was differant: Should the government draft the reserves, which would place Israel as the aggresser, or should they do nothing until "something" happens?

4. The government chose "NOT" to do anything, even though everything was obvious. They knew a

Seadove, the historians say it was a "surprise attack" http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur_War

You say the IDF and the government knew in advance and it was no surprise. Doesnt that sound like orchestration? Lets face it: you've been brainwashed by some of the best people in the business
You get your information from Wikipedia and lyrics of Leonard Cohen. How sweet. :-)

About "orchestration", well under the cercumstances you might say that it is. Don't forget that even today when someone passes wind in Israel it is condemned at the United Nations. It was important for Israel that it should not be translated as "Israeli aggression". That, of course, was at the cost of the loss of so many lives. We in Israel still cannot forgive Golda Meir and her government for this. Fact is that her government toppled over and the Likud party came into power.

And how can you tell me that I have been brainwashed when I was living the moment "on location" ? :-)
mickjaggerscat

Post by mickjaggerscat »

I think you have been brainwashed because your arguments are emotional and illogical. Now you say it was Golda Meir's fault :-) ... I, who was not there, am suggesting this war did not have to happen, but was engineered by cynical leaders like the Nazi Henry Kissinger, who (among other things) trained a fleet of mind controlled agents who helped convince unwitting young soldiers likeyourself that they were saving Israel when in fact they were helping advance a geopolitical agenda for the elites of this planet

I can imagine this is hard to accept but it is the truth and the sooner you face it, the less likely you are to be fooled again by , say, Bibi Netanyahu, into seeing enemies of the Jews behind every bush
Aliza

Post by Aliza »

Dear Einat, thanks for your story about Leonard Cohen and the Yom Kippur war. I realize now, that Leonard Cohen and me were there at the same time...As many people from all over the world, I wanted to help too after this war started and I was sent to Kfar Vitkin, a moshav close to Tel Aviv. I too stayed a couple of months, to help in families who lost a young father in this war , or didn't have the man around because of being a soldier on duty. I could easily have met Leonard Cohen then, but wonder if I would have recognized him. I was 24 and a songwriter myself, what a coincidences all together! When I see at this forum, where this conversation leads to, I feel a bit sad. It's not important whether this war was this or that, at that time we all felt solidarity with Israel and followed our hearts. That's all. Don't make it a political debate folks, there are other forums made for that!
seadove

Post by seadove »

mickjaggerscat wrote:I think you have been brainwashed because your arguments are emotional and illogical. Now you say it was Golda Meir's fault :-) ... I, who was not there, am suggesting this war did not have to happen, but was engineered by cynical leaders like the Nazi Henry Kissinger, who (among other things) trained a fleet of mind controlled agents who helped convince unwitting young soldiers likeyourself that they were saving Israel when in fact they were helping advance a geopolitical agenda for the elites of this planet

I can imagine this is hard to accept but it is the truth and the sooner you face it, the less likely you are to be fooled again by , say, Bibi Netanyahu, into seeing enemies of the Jews behind every bush
Eh?

I think you did not understand the text that I wrote. But then, you're a cat, aren't you? :-)
mickjaggerscat

Post by mickjaggerscat »

seadove wrote:
mickjaggerscat wrote:I think you have been brainwashed because your arguments are emotional and illogical. Now you say it was Golda Meir's fault :-) ... I, who was not there, am suggesting this war did not have to happen, but was engineered by cynical leaders like the Nazi Henry Kissinger, who (among other things) trained a fleet of mind controlled agents who helped convince unwitting young soldiers likeyourself that they were saving Israel when in fact they were helping advance a geopolitical agenda for the elites of this planet

Eh?

I think you did not understand the text that I wrote. But then, you're a cat, aren't you? :-)

I understood perfectly. We even agree on the most essential point: the Israeli government and military knew the "surprise attack" was coming, weeks ahead. They needed something to distract and entertain the soldiers. Musicians!

A very emotional time it was. But now its time to wake up dont you think?
seadove

Post by seadove »

mickjaggerscat wrote:
seadove wrote:

Eh?

I understood perfectly. We even agree on the most essential point: the Israeli government and military knew the "surprise attack" was coming, weeks ahead. They needed something to distract and entertain the soldiers. Musicians!

A very emotional time it was. But now its time to wake up dont you think?
I'm afraid that we are awake. Wide awake.

In fact so one slept well since the Yom Kipur war because our sworn enemies, who are so many, and are so engulfed with this desire to annihilate us.

And today we are yet faced with another threat. This time it's in the open and is wide and clear. We say it like "The address is written on the walls!".

And of course there is a differance between you and me. You are in your safe haven and I am deep in the soup. So we will never think the same. Your thinking is so theoretic and unrealistic and you naturally are willing to place us in a position that we should open our arms wide and bend down and accept any shit our enemies will think of so as to further endanger our existance.

Oh yes, we are so very much wide awake. :-(
mickjaggerscat

Post by mickjaggerscat »

Wide awake ? I hope so. Five Israelis killed, and how many children dead in Gaza? And in Washington, plans for more wars, more human sacrifice, for oil and power. And all because your "enemies" hate you so much, they leave you no choice. Me, in my safe haven? No haven will be safe from the monsters guided by the beauty of their weapons, my friend
seadove

Post by seadove »

mickjaggerscat wrote:Wide awake ? I hope so. Five Israelis killed, and how many children dead in Gaza? And in Washington, plans for more wars, more human sacrifice, for oil and power. And all because your "enemies" hate you so much, they leave you no choice. Me, in my safe haven? No haven will be safe from the monsters guided by the beauty of their weapons, my friend

I don't see what your argument is. Are you keeping scores here? Do you take it as a game? Would you like to play Russian Roulette like the one Hamas is playing with the 1.5 million Israeli population living next to the Gaza strip? Would your government allow this to happen in "your" country? Already more than 25,000 missiles have been fired for the last 12 years!!!! All you think about is Israel being unfair because more children are killed when actually the Gazans themselves care a frig about them. Fact is that they pupposely hide behind them and use them as shields even when they want to cross the roads. I have a clip on this somewhere.

The bottom line is ..... the Israelis simply want this Russian Roulette to stop. No one in Israel really want to kill any Palestinian, be them children or even terrorists. They simply want to live their lives quietly without bombs landing on their heads. Please donot purposely ignore this fact just because it helps to kindle your hatred toward Israelis specifically and jews in general.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Like if it is not enough to have to fight to stay alive under hatred, some have to fight also against ignorance and self-satisfaction to justify why they want to stay alive.

When your are in the soup, you are in the soup, indeed.

Matthew 25:29 For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. :roll:

There is nothing else to do but to stand against hatred, as hatred is only satisfied by the annihilation of his hated target and if it means annihlate everything doing so, well, he? Who is to blame but the hated target? Hatred is blind, deaf, constantly screaming and completely crazy.

Hatred has no nationalily, no religion, no sex, no language. Hatred has it all. And hatred is the one universal ennemy of humanity.

The contrary of Love is not hatred. Hatred is a force of its own, pure destruction. Love is a pure constructive force and therefore cannot contain destruction. What cames closer to be the contrary of Love, it is fear as fear is zero Love force, or a neutralized Love force.

I do believe that if people have to fight to stay alive under attack, unfortunately, they have to do, but the less they hate the ennemy while doing so, the better it is. While doing all the rest also. While living, simply. The rest, the more intelligent and sensitive ways to solve human conflicts shall follow naturally. Little by little.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

And, yes, there is always a secret war underlying an ordinary war. Powerful people keep sensitive information secret (for themselves) and let die.

Lover, lover, lover written during the YKW of 1973, hum... this thread was worth to be read only for this information.

The guy is a genius.

I asked my father,
I said, "Father change my name."
The one I'm using now it's covered up
With fear and filth and cowardice and shame.

Yes and lover, lover, lover, lover, lover, lover, lover come back to me,
Yes and lover, lover, lover, lover, lover, lover, lover come back to me.

He said, "I locked you in this body,
I meant it as a kind of trial.
You can use it for a weapon,
Or to make some woman smile."

Yes and lover, lover, lover, lover, lover, lover, lover come back to me

"Then let me start again," I cried,
"please let me start again,
I want a face that's fair this time,
I want a spirit that is calm."

"I never never turned aside," he said,
"I never walked away.
It was you who built the temple,
It was you who covered up my face."

And may the spirit of this song,
May it rise up pure and free.
May it be a shield for you,
A shield against the enemy.

"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Return to “Comments & Questions”