In My Secret Life

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:03 pm

Nice job, Jurica. Linda,
linda_lakeside wrote:I'm always reluctant to try and 'analyse' LCs lyrics, for myself or anyone else, as they can mean different things on different days (for me, at least).
I have the same feeling, and actually I wasn't much thinking about this song previously. I guess it was because it was single hit; I simply always went over it to A Thousand Kisses Deep and other songs on that amazing record. I think others did the same: I don't recall we have much discussion about In My Secret Life at all here (or it was still on old-fashined, black message board?).

That's why I ignored Leigh's question for few days, as everybody others did. I know we all don't like "analysis" questions, and it would be better that leigh offered some of his thoughts in the first place, because there is no such definitive thing "the interpretation of In My Secret Life". You can't "know" the interpretation, you can only "have it", have your own. ICT's post was obviously caused by same feelings (=Read it for yourself), but as Leigh is new here, I thought it was nice to give some ideas ex abrupto (and it was never mentioned ex cathedra, whenever I write 8) ).

And in the end, guess what: we have considerable flow of ideas here, as always when we try to get some meanings behind the lyrics. I always like that. Keep it going.
tomsakic

mirrored room...

Post by tomsakic » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:08 pm

Jurica: interesting observation about "mirrored room" motif from The Future. I always wondered what it might be. This song is now puzzling me even more, particularly in light of you amazing interpretation of "and the white man dancing" line.
Leigh

Thanks

Post by Leigh » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:14 pm

Thanks everyone, love the song and felt it was saying so much more than we can hear. It helps to have others input.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:26 pm

You're welcomed, Leigh :) - I surely hope for some inputs more, here, particularly about The Future's "mirrored room". It's interesting connection between these two songs.
jurica

Post by jurica » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:46 pm

well Leigh, like Tom said, it does help to start the thread with some of your own ideas. people often come here with "please help me analyse this poem or that song", and never come back again (usualy they need it for a school assignment).

i used to reply, but lost interest with time because there'd be no conversation. just me posting my oppinions, which is a total waste of time. i want to argue with other people, find meanings i may have missed or test my oppinions against theirs. i KNOW what I think about songs/poems, so i don't want to waste my time writing it down.
Kush

Post by Kush » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:52 pm

Jurica,
I often need information on something or other at work for some specific purpose. I look for the best source that I can find for it and usually folks help me out. It doesnt mean I am obligated to participate in their work or their activity. And if someone asks me for some information that I have readily available, I freely disseminate, no questions asked and no expectations in return. Thats how knowledge spreads.
jurica

Post by jurica » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:03 pm

i know. but that's a 'readily available' information. if someone posts "who was Suzanne?" or "who was Marianne?", i'll be happy to fill him in.

but threads that we have often witnessed like "i need to analyse a LC poem for my school essey" sound a lot like "can you do my homework for me please? i so don't feel like doing it myself" to me.

i'm not talking about Leigh or this particular thread, though.
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:10 pm

Whe I read LCs own comments on the song he referred to the 'secret life' as being one's own imagination.
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:19 pm

Ehhh... I think everyone has his/her own feelings about song lyrics. Most popular songs are right 'in your face', of course, and need no discussion about meaning; Cohen's are often 'inner' - and somewhat obscure, I suppose - but I rarely feel a need to analyse them, myself. They speak to the guts, bypassing the critical centres of the brain, and you understand them with your body and... no... 8) with the 'matter and ghost'. :lol: Brain doesn't come into it much. :wink: Not for me, anyway. :)
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:55 pm

Hi Fljotsdale ~
They speak to the guts, bypassing the critical centres of the brain, and you understand them with your body and... no... with the 'matter and ghost'. Brain doesn't come into it much. Not for me, anyway.

~ Lizzy
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:20 pm

Hi, Lizzy. :)

Yeah... when something goes right in and becomes part of yourself.

T S Eliot's 'Prufrock' was 'recognised' by my 'matter and ghost' as a missing bit of me that had suddenly come home - and all from one small fragment of it!
The first words of Cohen's that I ever saw - first verse of 'Everybody Knows' - had exactly the same effect.
With both I HAD to find the rest or I would have been missing the bits forever...

It doesn't happen often.

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:23 pm

Hi Fljotsdale :D ~

I'm unfamiliar with T.S. Eliot's 'Prufrock,' but then I don't need to be, to understand exactly what you mean by everything you've said, and agree with it.

In the way it's happened with Leonard's words, the osmosis, in the world of music, it happens rarely for me, and his have been the height of that phenomenon. There is much that I love in the music and words of others, but nothing has come to me in the way his have and had the profound effect that his have.

~ Lizzy :D
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:44 pm

Here it is, Lizzy; I posted it in Other Poetry Forum:

viewtopic.php?t=4305

I hope you like it - but I promise not to cry if you don't! :wink:

Diane

Post by Diane » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:47 pm

Fljotsdale said:
They speak to the guts, bypassing the critical centres of the brain, and you understand them with your body
Yes, for me it's nothing to do with analysing for meaning, and everything to do with getting 'good vibrations' from the whole of Leonard's open heart and beautiful words, from the way his rich loooow voice resonates through you, to the way his words resonate with parts of your heart.

Good wishes,

Diane
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:15 pm

Yes. Resonance is the word. :) You can feel the resonance in every cell of you body.

Return to “Comments & Questions”