Famous blue raincoat recording

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
TheArtfullDodger

Famous blue raincoat recording

Post by TheArtfullDodger »

Hi all, I'm new here. I'm a student and young budding msuician who takes huge inspiration from Leonard Cohen. Songs of Leonard Cohen and Songs of Love and Hate, especially Famous Blue Raincoat are a constant sonic reference for me. I think the engineering and production on that song are truly masterful. Of course the performance is magic, the dynamics of Cohens guitar playing and his haunting vocals. However, I'm interested in the engineering and production of the song. The guitar sounds so enveloping and huge for a mono recording. The way everythings sits in the mix, especially the backing vocals is just perfection, everythings sounds delicious. Anyway I want to ask if there is anyone on this forum who has any knowledge or information on the recording process and engineering of either of these albums and especially the song Famous Blue Raincoat.

Which studios... Vocal mics...Mic preams...who mixed the song etc etc I would love to hear anything relevant.
Much love to all xx

Return to “Comments & Questions”