His Master's Voice

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
harrybarry

His Master's Voice

Post by harrybarry »

Hey I recently bought The Book of Longing. I have been intrigued by 'His Master's Voice', he states he used to carry a giant piano, what exactly does that mean?
I am sure it doesn't mean a real piano, I am really intrigued please somebody help me with this!!
DennisBerlin

Re: His Master's Voice

Post by DennisBerlin »

I guess it's meant rather metaphorically, some kind of burden he felt to carry with him inside at this time.
It also may just refer to daily chores in general as part of his life as a monk.

Or perhaps it's a kinda ironic treatment on his physical condition concerning the topography of the Zen Center's area (just guessing here).

However, I also think to remember some comment by him about this particular poem in one interview where he stated that after all, he's writing fiction (perhaps someone on the forum can help with a source?). And that of course, poetry sometimes means to exaggerate.

So I'm pretty sure it's not a real piano he's been carrying up and down Mt. Baldy.

Return to “Comments & Questions”