I want to visit Mr. Cohen's Grave to Pay My Respect

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
cohenfan2020

I want to visit Mr. Cohen's Grave to Pay My Respect

Post by cohenfan2020 »

Hello Good People,

I'm a 19 years-old guy from Turkey. Leonard Cohen and his legacy always makes me feel thankful to him. He is a Legend. He lived a great life and his songs, poems, quotes still inspires millons of people worldwide. And I'm one of them.

Mr. Cohen is my idol. I discovered him past year and since the day I listened to him for the very first time, I wanted to dive into his poems, songs and try to o get the real "meaning" behind his corpus.

And now, to pay my respect to him I want to visit his grave. I'll really be honoured if I can do that. I love Montreal. Montreal is my dream. But I've never been to there before.

My Question Is: Is there any chance for me to go to streets he walked, park he rested, and the house he lived for years? I'm not experienced to trip abroad. And this summer, if the pandemic criysis ends, I'll go to Montreal for him. I would be really thankful if you help me about "How can I visit his grave, how can I find the fomous park he usally sits and what can I do to live my one day like him just to understand him better? Like going to shops he generally goes, eating meal at his favorite restaurant etc.

Thanks.
Joe Way

Re: I want to visit Mr. Cohen's Grave to Pay My Respect

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Cohenfan2020,
I sincerely hope you can visit the beautiful city of Montreal. His grave in the Jewish Montreal cemetery is close to one of the gates so look through the gates until you see the Unified Heart headstone. His childhood home is still there and near the park where he found the Spanish Flamenco guitarist who taught him how to play. His longtime home near Parc du Portugal is on the "Main" and easily accessible. Read through the "Montreal Memorial" thread for lots of other information. Hope you can make it!

Be sure to visit his childhood Synagogue and introduce yourself to the Cantor, Gideon.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
harrybarry

Post by harrybarry »

That looks like such a great plan. I am from India and I too wish to visit his resting space sometime. Hope it happens soon. Till then wishing you good luck!
SkyeSantana

Post by SkyeSantana »

Though it’s a bit late for a reply, I’d like to chime in. Montreal is a beautiful city, and there are many places you can visit to connect with Cohen's legacy. In addition to visiting his grave and the park he used to frequent, you might want to check out some of the Bench Monuments scattered throughout the city. These are public benches that have been dedicated to famous Montrealers, including Leonard Cohen. You may also consider taking a guided tour or joining a Cohen-themed excursion to get an insider's perspective on his life and work. As for living your day like him, I’d recommend reading his biographies or memoirs to learn more about his daily routine and favorite spots.
ChristopherJo

Post by ChristopherJo »

Hello,

It's wonderful to hear about your admiration for Leonard Cohen and your desire to pay your respects to him. Visiting his grave and exploring the places he frequented in Montreal can be a meaningful experience. To find his grave, you can visit the Cemetery of Congregation Shaar Hashomayim. To immerse yourself in his world, you can visit places like Parc du Portugal, where he spent time, and explore the vibrant streets of Montreal. Researching his favorite restaurants and shops can help you create a more authentic experience. When the pandemic situation improves and travel becomes possible, plan your trip to Montreal and make your dream come true. Enjoy your journey of understanding Cohen better!

Return to “Comments & Questions”