LC's Favourite Books

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
B4real

LC's Favourite Books

Post by B4real »

I am aware of the interviews and know about the books they refer to in both links but I can't at the moment remember details of those interviews. No matter, it's nice to have a reminder of those books again here.
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/a-collecti ... ite-books/

A collection of Leonard Cohen’s favourite books
Far Out Staff - March 26, 2019
Prior to his death in 2016 at the age of 82, Cohen was reading prolifically at his home in Los Angeles. In an interview a few years earlier, he was asked if he could name some of the books that have stayed true to him over his life.
Here it is:
o The Glass Bead Game (Magister Ludi) by Hermann Hesse
o Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
o A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
o Dubliners by James Joyce
o Selected Poems by Irving Layton
o Collected Poems by Federico Garcia Lorca
o I Am That by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
o Two Women by Alberto Moravia
o Descent into Chaos: The U.S. and the Disaster in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Central Asia by Ahmed Rashid
o The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart
o Mental Fitness by Michiko Rolek
o Edmund Spenser’s Poetry by Edmund Spenser
o Essays by Robert Louis Stevenson
o Poems by Humbert Wolfe

A more varied and detailed link here - https://radicalreads.com/leonard-cohen-favorite-books/

Leonard Cohen’s Reading List
July 12, 2018
The Bible (also rec’d by Carl Sagan, Martin Luther King Jr., Nick Cave & Maya Angelou)
“The Bible was not forced on me, I received it like honey, and I found all the stories equally beautiful, from the Creation to the Apocalypse.” -LC
The I Ching
Blue Beetle (comic)
Consciousness Speaks by Ramesh S. Balsekar
The Stranger by Albert Camus (also rec’d by David Bowie & Philip Seymour Hoffman)
Intercourse by Andrea Dworkin
“The whole range of arguments in that book is quite radical and complex and beautiful. It’s the first book I’ve read by an author, masculine or feminine, that has a defiance of the situation, which is deeply subversive in the holy sense – it’s other-worldly. She says that this world is stained by human misconception, that men and women have wrong ideas – even if they are ten million years old and come from the mouth of god, they are still wrong! The position in that book is so defiant and passionate that she creates another reality and just might be able to manifest it. It’s from that kind of appetite, with the way things are that new worlds arise, so I have deep admiration for Andrea Dworkin.” -LC
Seven Types of Ambiguity by William Empson
“When I was at school there was a book that was very popular called Seven Types of Ambiguity. One of the things it criticized was something called ‘The Author’s Intention.’ You’ve got to discard the author’s intention. It doesn’t matter what the author’s intention in the piece is, or what his interpretation of the piece is, or what his evaluation or estimation of the piece is. It exists independently of his opinions about it.” -LC
The Bear by William Faulkner
Zen Confidential: Confessions of a Wayward Monk by Shozan Jack Haubner
“This punk of a monk, who should be tending to his own affairs, has decided to infect the real world with his tall tales, and worse, to let the cat out of the bag. And what a sly, dangerous, beautiful, foul-smelling, heart-warming beast it is.” -LC
The Glass Bead Game (Magister Ludi) by Hermann Hesse (also rec’d by Patti Smith)
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (also rec’d by Susan Sontag)
Dubliners by James Joyce (also rec’d by Ernest Hemingway)
“That paragraph. It’s not the work of an author, but maybe five lines. It’s those five lines that will get me reluctantly to explore the rest of the guy’s work. But that paragraph I’ve never forgotten. There’s that paragraph ‘Snow was general all over Ireland.’ It described the snow. It’s Montreal. It’s our snow, our black iron gates in Montreal. It was perfect.” -LC
Selected Poems by Irving Layton
“One of the finest writers in language.” -LC
Collected Poems by Federico Garcia Lorca
“I was fifteen when I began to read Federico Garcia Lorca. His poems perhaps have had the greatest influence on my texts. He summoned up a world where I felt at home. His images were sensual and mysterious: ‘throw a fist full of ants to the sun.’ I wanted to be able to write something like that as well. A few years ago I wrote a musical adaptation of Lorca’s ‘Little Viennese Waltz.’ Then I noticed what a complex writer he was: it took me more than a hundred hours just to translate the poem. Lorca is one of those rare poets with whom you can stay in love for life.” -LC
I Am That by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Two Women by Alberto Moravia
Descent into Chaos: The U.S. and the Disaster in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Central Asia by Ahmed Rashid
The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart
“I loved that book very much, as a wonderful escapist idea. I think you’re kind of stuck with who you are and that’s what you’re dealing with. That’s the hand that you’ve been dealt. To escape from the burden of decision is a delightful notion…but nothing more.” -LC
Mental Fitness by Michiko Rolek
“This workbook may not solve the Burning Issues of Your Life, but you sure as hell can save yourself a lot of trouble by looking into it…She has made some important matters wonderfully clear, and every page is informed by a sweet concern for the well-being of her reader.” -LC
Edmund Spenser’s Poetry by Edmund Spenser
Essays by Robert Louis Stevenson
Poems by Humbert Wolfe
“There was a poet named Humbert Wolfe that nobody had ever heard of — his books I discovered in a second-hand bookstore — that I loved through the years.” -LC
Collected Poems by W.B. Yeats
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Re: LC's Favourite Books

Post by LisaLCFan »

Interesting, I'd not seen such a list before, thanks!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Oh no! More stuff to read! :shock:

What I mean to say is Thank You! ;-) Eventually I will be done reading what Leonard himself wrote and will be done researching for our trip to Hydra (and other spots) and will be looking for more!

Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

My pleasure you two! And yeah, lots of reading there!
There’s always a different viewpoint to look at things LC...
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Seeing that most of us are homebound these days, here's a reminder of LC's Favourite books that if we haven't already done so, we could find time now to read - https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/leonard-co ... ding-list/
Far Out Staff · May 3, 2020
As we’re all searching for something to fill our time during lockdown, many people have turned to their dusty bookshelves for some wholesome entertainment. If you’re stuck for inspiration on what to read then the late, great Leonard Cohen has a perfect reading list.

Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, distinguished poet and respected novelist, Leonard Cohen was always going to be a writer. Cohen drew inspiration from sexuality, romance, relationships, politics and religion among other things and, most notably, he delivered his own personal take on the aforementioned topics.

The iconic Canadian artist often recoiled into isolation, taking with him music and reading material of all forms. He once said: “Every time I pick up a magazine, I read some writing that is distinguished. My pace and viewpoint is being influenced continually by things I come across. You recapitulate the whole movement of your own culture.” Cohen saw reading as a way of escapism and essential for development.

Cohen understood the art of language and could find the beauty of all forms of literature. “Occasionally we are touched by certain elaborate language, like the language we associate with the Elizabethan period, with the King James translation of The Bible, or Shakespeare,” he continued.

“In certain moments you are influenced by very simple things. The instructions on a cereal package have a magnificent clarity. You’re touched by the writing in National Geographic — it represents a certain kind of accomplishment.”

The singer continued: “Occasionally you move into another phase where you are touched by the writing of demented people or mental patients. I get a lot of letters from those kinds of writers. You begin to see it as the most accurate kind of reflection of your own reality, the landscape you’re operating on. There are many kinds of expression that I’m sensitive to.”

Prior to his death in 2016 at the age of 82, Cohen was reading prolifically at his home in Los Angeles. In an interview a few years earlier, he was asked if he could name some of the books that have stayed true to him over his life

From Joyce to Hesse: A collection of Leonard Cohen’s favourite books

Leonard Cohen’s favourite books:
The Glass Bead Game (Magister Ludi) by Hermann Hesse
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
Dubliners by James Joyce
Selected Poems by Irving Layton
Collected Poems by Federico Garcia Lorca
I Am That by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Two Women by Alberto Moravia
Descent into Chaos: The U.S. and the Disaster in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Central Asia by Ahmed Rashid
The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart
Mental Fitness by Michiko Rolek
Edmund Spenser’s Poetry by Edmund Spenser
Essays by Robert Louis Stevenson
Poems by Humbert Wolfe
Collected Poems by W.B. Yeats

When detailing Dubliners, by James Joyce, Cohen offered: “That paragraph. It’s not the work of an author, but maybe five lines. It’s those five lines that will get me reluctantly to explore the rest of the guy’s work. But that paragraph I’ve never forgotten. There’s that paragraph ‘Snow was general all over Ireland.’ It described the snow. It’s Montreal. It’s our snow, our black iron gates in Montreal. It was perfect.”

In the same conversation, Cohen described Irving Layton as “one of the finest writers in language.”
Happy reading!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Thank you for sharing this B4!

I noticed the article said that "prior to his death in 2016 at 82, Leonard was reading prolifically", yet the article was siting a list he had made "years earlier". Athough I admire the list (anyone who knows Irving Layton's "The Bull Calf" can understand Leonard's infatuation with him), I would love more to have a list of what he was reading in 2016 at 82.

Still, thank you for the reminder that there is so much I still have not read. I do vaguely recall liking a couple poems by Stevenson and maybe Yeats when I was a preteen and first discovering 'real' poetry. I loved Frost, Whitman, Emerson and Dickenson then, but it was so long ago, I can't really remember exactly why except that they gave me goosebumps. It is possible that I may have read the likes of Yeats, Joyce, and Wolfe during that time but certainly none of the others. So I guess I should compile a list, because although I have no problem with the enforced isolation at this time, I do have a problem with not being productive.

Still I wonder what Leonard read later on, in his softer years? My Uncle Bob, for instance... a logger and truck driver in the Northwest... was never afforded the time when he was young for reading, unless it was a how-to manual (although he's hardly ever needed that). But now in his late 80s, he's taken to reading, because his hearing isn't the best for watching TV, and my Aunt Flo gives him hell for turning it up too loud. So what is this man reading? When I visited last summer, Auntie Flo gave me a box of the books Uncle Bob was done with, because "I know you like to read, honey". In the box were stacks of paperback Harlequin romances. Uncle Bob...always the romantic.

So what was Leonard reading at 82?

Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

vlcoats wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:23 am So what was Leonard reading at 82?
Vickie, I tried to find this out for you but to no avail unfortunately.
Maybe he was re-reading some of those books from his favourite list :)
….and who knows, if that was indeed the case, it's possible his 'last' album YWID could have been influenced by that ;-)
Gabriel23

Post by Gabriel23 »

I highly recommend The Expanse series by Corey. The way human culture, and scientific knowledge is utilized to paint the most realistic image of the future of space travel and colonizing foreign bodies in our solar neighborhood is pretty great.
I love to read light novels at at kisslightnovels.info.

Return to “Comments & Questions”