Glastonbury 2008

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Pete

Glastonbury 2008

Post by Pete » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:12 pm

This might have been asked before ...
It's very frustrating that Leonard's performance at Glastonbury was not shown, at the time, on BBC. The Daily Telegraph voted it no.1 in the top 100 Glastonbury performances so it must have been good :)
Is there ever going to be a chance to see it? Will the BBC be able to show it one day? Will there be a DVD?

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Glastonbury 2008

Post by jarkko » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:46 pm

I' m not sure if BBC filmed it at all. They knew that it cannot be aired at that time, so why to tape ? Those of us who were there, did you make any observations?
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:31 pm

I wasn't there (unfortunately), but I'm sure they had those big screens next to the stage. So why not record it when you're filming it anyway? But I doubt it will ever be released officially... Why release this short set instead of a full length concert?

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKoYU7oFgYw

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:44 pm

I was by the the TV anticipating the performance, only to learn from the BBC hosts that LC had refused permission for his set to be broadcast. They commented on how sad they were, as the performance (as we know) was outstanding. I think the reason was concerns over the quality, as there was no facility for a sound check. It is sad that there is no record of the performance - I feel it may have been pivotal in his resurgence, especially amongst the younger fans. Also, from time to time, they roll out the greatest sets from the festival over the years, and it belongs there. Finally, I believe the performance coincided with a stunning sun set.
holydove

Post by holydove » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:27 pm

I remember reading an article where it was said that Leonard didn't want broadcasting cameras around during the concert, because he felt it could interfere with his connection with the audience. The BBC people thought, at first, that Leonard was just being an "uppity artist" (or something like that), but when they witnessed the intense connection that existed between Leonard & his audience, they understood his thinking. It might have been a different concert, but I'm fairly sure the write-up I'm remembering was in reference to Glastonbury 2008.
Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:47 pm

Thanks for the responses. It's all very frustrating that the cameras were there but it probably hasn't been recorded for posterity. Oh well!
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Temporarily brings back the frustration of that night over 8 years ago :shock:

The headlining acts are normally transmitted live on the BBC. It was a great surprise that Leonard's set , or at least some of it , wasn't. Glastonbury performances often have some ' special atmosphere' and it would have been good to try to capture this on film.

The BBC cameras are permanently in place to film the pyramid stage throughout the festival, were there during Leonard's set , and some were certainly used for the big screens . Thus , not sure of the validity of the notion he thought cameras would get in the way of audience connection .At the time I thought it had more to do with commercial issues , and maybe more a decision of Leonard's management than Leonard himself .Maybe with the plan to issue a live DVD and album from the tour they didn't want a competing show, professionally filmed by the BBC, potentially in bootleg circulation or just recorded by fans from the live transmission

So we have the magnificent Live in London from the same tour, recorded a few weeks after Glastonbury, and of course most of us would say the DVD manages to capture not just the excellent performance , but also the connection with the audience in the vast space of the London O2.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:11 pm

I think big the difference between filming Glastonbury and filming the London show was that an external agency i.e. the BBC, with no knowledge of Leonard's performance and sensibilities, would have been filming Glasto. The camera crews at the O2 were part of Leonard's vast entourage and he could trust them not to get in his way or distract him. A very different proposition.

I believe the decision to put the Live in London DVD out was only made after the event with all concerned delighted with how the night had gone.

Wendy

Return to “Comments & Questions”