To Tour Again, or Not.

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Greg Ross

To Tour Again, or Not.

Postby Greg Ross » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:45 pm

Time it was, oh what a time it was … whoops, that’s not quoting Cohen, that’s some bloke called Simon! Oh well, it fits my whiskey-laden musing – the all-time greatest Leonard Cohen band.

Like so many of us, I’ve been lucky to see many, but by no means all, of Cohen’s bands / on stage backers ... and I’ve formed a view or two.

Firstly, should our man ever chose to tour again and I think sadly, Down Under is now a flight too far, but, addicted as I suspect he may be to being on stage with an audience, I feel there is a possibility of him slowly touring Europe and of course, Canada and the USA at some stage in the near future – I think he may tour ‘Unplugged.’

Those on stage with him? Here’s my pick for an Unplugged Concert, whether they’re still with us, or passed on to some far away shimmering stage; this would be my preferred format for another tour – intimate, small venues with just Leonard and three or four band members:

Leonard: Vocals, guitar and absurd keyboard
Perla Batalla: Backing & lead vocals
Raffi Hakopian: Violin
Javier Mas: Bandurria, Laud etc

Secondly: A New ‘full All Time Greatest band’Tour:
Leonard: Vocals, guitar, absurd keyboard
Sharon Robinson: Backing and Lead vocals
Perla Batalla: Backing and lead vocals
Jennifer Warne: Backing and Lead vocals
Raffi Hakopian: Violin
Javier Mas: Bandurria, Laud etc
Roscoe Beck: Bass
Dino Soldo: Instruments of Wind
Rafael Gayol: Percussion
Bob Metzger: Guitars

On the other hand, he’s given us so much, my conscience and a depth of concern, says – no, screams - “Stop my friend, play with grandkids, tell tales to your kids, smell the roses, pass on when the time is right, knowing the gift of song and lyric you have given to the world.
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
10newtours

Sharon Robinson

Postby 10newtours » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:53 am

Just saw Sharon at Bush Hall. Utterly brilliant.

I asked afterwards whether she thought Leonard might tour again. The response - "Well, you never know with Leonard. Certainly don't rule it out."

I said "well, what's your gut feeling?"

She said "I don't know, and I don't like to indulge, but maybe next year." And smiled.

There's still hope!
holydove

Re: Sharon Robinson

Postby holydove » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:20 am

Thank you for sharing that conversation with us, 10newtours. It certainly made me smile, & it does give reason enough to keep on hoping!
lizzytysh

Re: To Tour Again, or Not.

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:07 pm

I get wistful readying your lists there, Greg.
Please add Julie Christensen. Thank you :D
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
AlexandraLaughing

Postby AlexandraLaughing » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Or you could always have a tour with just the women- and add Anjani for good measure!
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun May 10, 2015 6:17 am

Would love to see Anjani be onstage with all of them.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Athnuachan

Postby Athnuachan » Thu May 28, 2015 5:38 pm

To tour again, or not?
Sounds like "not" , from Jarkko's comment on the News section.

Actually, the News section is the only one worth reading now. There's no point trying to discuss anything on Comments and Questions anymore, as any thread which becomes active is soon clogged with totally irrelevant twaddle by the same few posters.

Perhaps they're trying to bore the rest of us away? Seems to be working... :(
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Cate

Postby Cate » Fri May 29, 2015 4:35 am

I don't know, Jarkko said the pages were blank - blank pages are meant to be written on. Perhaps it remains undecided.
Postby jarkko on Tue May 26, 2015 1:41 pm
Unfortunately all pages of the Book of Future Tours are blank.
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Fri May 29, 2015 5:44 pm

Cate wrote:I don't know, Jarkko said the pages were blank - blank pages are meant to be written on. Perhaps it remains undecided.
I think Jarkko may have stuck his nose into the wrong book. That wasn't 'Future tours' he looked at, but 'What every man thinks about apart from sex'.
Franks

Postby Franks » Fri May 29, 2015 6:24 pm

Athnuachan wrote:To tour again, or not?
Sounds like "not" , from Jarkko's comment on the News section.

Actually, the News section is the only one worth reading now. There's no point trying to discuss anything on Comments and Questions anymore, as any thread which becomes active is soon clogged with totally irrelevant twaddle by the same few posters.

Perhaps they're trying to bore the rest of us away? Seems to be working... :(
I totally agree Athnuachan. They have sentenced us to 20 years of boredom.
Frank.
holydove

Postby holydove » Fri May 29, 2015 8:15 pm

Cate wrote:I don't know, Jarkko said the pages were blank - blank pages are meant to be written on. Perhaps it remains undecided.
I had the same thought, Cate. If there was not a potential for the pages to be written on, why would the "Book" exist at all? Though the word "unfortunately" does me pause. . . unless the unfortunate element is that nothing has been written yet; but I would think that the Book's existence, with the implied potential, would be quite fortunate.

Jarkko, you do have quite a talent for presenting us with very intriguing puzzles!!
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:07 pm

As usual, there is lots of speculation around the issue of touring. I just take Jarkko's words to mean that no news is no news. I doubt if even Leonard knows at this stage if he is going to tour again (though I could be wrong) .....

Wendy
Athnuachan

Postby Athnuachan » Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Franks wrote:
I totally agree Athnuachan. They have sentenced us to 20 years of boredom.
:lol: But few of us can spare 20 years, Franks!
I know of 3 people who have abandoned the forum because of the irrelevant rubbish being posted here,
and 2 others who check only the news section now. ( That's just posters I know - many others no doubt have just drifted away.)

As for LC touring again, only he knows. The longer he stays away from the stage the less likely it seems.

I would love to be as optimistic as you, Cate, but the trouble with blank sheets is that when it comes to organising concerts, booking bands,venues, etc., arrangements have to be made at least a year in advance, like now for 2016...
Anyway, that is LC's decision and his alone. As I said elsewhere, he will probably make a wise decision.
Last edited by Athnuachan on Sat May 30, 2015 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Fri May 29, 2015 10:08 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote:As usual, there is lots of speculation around the issue of touring. I just take Jarkko's words to mean that no news is no news. I doubt if even Leonard knows at this stage if he is going to tour again (though I could be wrong) .....

Wendy
hei wendy. for the past 10-15 years reviewers have been saying "this will probably be his last album" and "i think on this tour he is saying goodbye to everyone" - and yet he's still going as strong as ever. he's healthy, fit, creative and as popular as ever. i wouldn't be surprised if he postponed his retirement for quite a while yet. shall i reserve the same table at that restaurant that we had last time? :-) xxx
Athnuachan

Postby Athnuachan » Fri May 29, 2015 10:41 pm

Geoffrey wrote: shall i reserve the same table at that restaurant that we had last time? :-) xxx
So you shared a table before/after an LC concert? Dig deal! So did most of us, and have happy memories of the other LC fans we met.
Of course we would all love to see this happen again. Only time (and LC ) will tell.

Return to “Comments & Questions”