Thread locking.

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Athnuachan

Thread locking.

Post by Athnuachan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Just wondering is there an existing protocol on the Forum about why, when and by whom a thread is locked?
(Thereby ending discussion...which is what a forum is all about...supposedly.)
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Mabeanie1

Re: Thread locking.

Post by Mabeanie1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:47 am

I don't suppose for a minute there is any such protocol but I am all for locking a thread if there is nothing new being added to the discussion and all the posts are between the same 2 or 3 protaganists going round and round and round and round and .....
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:11 am

Athnuachan, I am sure you have already noticed that there are certain people who somehow believe they are the deputies on this forum and I do not mean admins, or mods. The previous poster has often been known to tell others that a thread has gone on long enough and should be locked. Why do members feel that the forum is purely for them and the things they like? There are hundreds of posts that I personally and I bet you too Athnuachan, wish the same and that some threads weren't even started, let alone ended but this is a Forum and that must mean that threads, whether we like them, or not, should run their course, unless there has been vile and/or vicious words posted.

Conversations do go round and round out of forum life, so what is the difference and as in "real" life, as well as forum life, it generally finishes sooner or later. I do not like to see threads locked purely as the talk has started to go round and round, often something new will arrive to liven a thread up but that is impossible if the thread is locked and without a genuine reason and that should NOT be decided by a fellow member, nor even mentioned as can be the case on here. Take a look around, there are many threads where all people have done is agree almost word for word but are still open. I see no reason whatsoever as to why the thread was deleted, people have opinions and thankfully some members saw it differently and it came down to those who see never see anything wrong with anyone concerned with LC and others who saw it differently, including me. I really don't know what would happen if we were to all agree on everything on here, hang on though.........
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:24 am

Vicomte wrote:The previous poster has often been known to tell others that a thread has gone on long enough and should be locked.
I am entitled to my opinion as you are Vicomte. But not often, no.

W
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:35 am

Of course you are but telling mods and admin to lock threads is not an opinion, it's a demand but at least you have admitted to doing so. Why though, that is what I cannot understand, simply don't look at the thread and let those who wish to carry on posting do so. Or ask if you might be allowed to be a moderator?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
seadove

Post by seadove » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:48 am

We have to remember that we are only guests here and we are posting here under the courtesy of the person who has created the forum and he has control of switching on or off the various available fascilities.

Although I too have an opinion regarding certain limitations but still I am certainly grateful for the massive news about the subject of this forum, i.e., Leonard Cohen.

There are written rules and then there are rules that are not written, for example, simple human default behaviour. I think we should stick to these standard obligations and continue to enjoy the actions.
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:49 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote: I am all for locking a thread if there is nothing new being added to the discussion and all the posts are between the same 2 or 3 protaganists going round and round and round and round and .....
Funny! I
If that was the criterion there would be more threads locked than unlocked!
Actually, the threads locked are usually the more active ones. You would think, this forum being so moribund since the concerts ended, that a thread generating any heat or interest would be welcome, but no.

The least I would expect on a Forum is that if a thread is locked the Mod (Presumably! ) who locked it would announce " I - insert name - have locked this thread because..."

Anyway, do you know what? Weather here is so lovely now that this forum and all internet sites seem less significant! But before I go out to enjoy the sun, well done Vicomte and other defenders of free speech here, like " voices crying in the wilderness"...

Later edit: I was able to change the wording here and clarify what I meant to say. One of the joys of a thread not being locked - one is allowed to have second thoughts!
Last edited by Athnuachan on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:17 am

seadove wrote:We have to remember that we are only guests here and we are posting here under the courtesy of the person who has created the forum and he has control of switching on or off the various available fascilities.

Although I too have an opinion regarding certain limitations but still I am certainly grateful for the massive news about the subject of this forum, i.e., Leonard Cohen.

There are written rules and then there are rules that are not written, for example, simple human default behaviour. I think we should stick to these standard obligations and continue to enjoy the actions.
It's a two way thing though, no members, no forum. The one thing the Mods and Admin have that the members don't, is the button, in general I think it has been used very conservatively, thanks for that but that does not mean we have to agree if we believe the thread has been locked unnecessarily. You have stepped away from the reality seadove and posted something quite bizarre, saying that we are guests on the forum and posting due to courtesy by Jarkko. Well Jarkko will know full well of what Leonard Cohen has stood for since many years, he has spoken out against many things, indeed he has written and sung them as well. I have the utmost respect for Jarkko and of course LC and for either of them to see democracy being misused would be tantamount to many decades being wasted on what LC has stood for.

Let's get one thing straight, just because some people have not gone along and agreed on just about everything LC,including anyone even half connected to him, that does not mean disrespect in offering an opposing point of view because that is all it is, a different view point, nothing more.
That is simply the most bizarre post I have seen for a very long time, this part did make me grin...."continue to enjoy the actions" Oh yes, I can hardly stop leaping about, such is the joy of "the action" on here. :lol:
Neil from The Young Ones
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:10 pm

Vicomte wrote:
It's a two way thing though, no members, no forum.
Well said, Vicomte. This is a forum, not a charity.
If the "powers that be " decided to end this forum it would probably not break too many hearts.
(Lovely summery weather here makes all such internet sites seem a total waste of time!)

But if the "powers that be" want the forum to continue, even if the LC concerts are over forever, some respect for democracy and freedom of speech would seem appropriate - in honour of Leonard Cohen.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:32 pm

Athnuachan,

Perhaps I am in the minority, but it would break my heart.

Kindest regard,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi MaryB,
I LOVE minorities!
I'm a member of most of them.
I just wish all minorities were welcomed here and allowed to have their say.
That's all.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:03 pm

I agree - as long as no one is attacked in a hurtful manner.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:03 pm

If the "powers that be " decided to end this forum it would probably not break too many hearts.
It would break my heart, too. This Forum has been responsible of some of the very best things in my life.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:14 am

Yes but just think how much more time you will have to go out in the sunshine, Lizzytysh :lol:
Neil from The Young Ones
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:07 am

You have NO idea how debilitating the heat and sunshine can be here, Vicomte, or you wouldn't be saying that :shock: . I have to pick my time carefully with early morning, early evening, or shade. Direct sun just doesn't get it ~~~ thanks climate change :roll:
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”