How did you survive Leonard?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Post Reply
chillion
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:28 pm

How did you survive Leonard?

Post by chillion » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:33 pm

If I could ask a wise old jewish man a question about Life.
And if I had the opportunity to ask Leonard Cohen.
Id ask how did he survive not walking in the paths of Haschem?

Everytime I listen to Hallelujah I am remembered the day of leaving egypt.
I look around and see so many people who died young. I look at my own and
see how much I suffered and still suffer.

How did you manage to still perform on stage like this? Its really amazing.
You are among the very few, if not the only one I know of who broke faith
with haschem and became over 80 years of age.

In memory of the covenant of avraham and noakh.

yours from germany

chris
User avatar
lizzytysh
Posts: 25464
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Florida, U.S.A.

Re: How did you survive Leonard?

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:42 am

Such an interesting and intriguing question, chillion.
It's one about which I need to know more and am made to want to know more.
I'll be watching for more details on it.

Thanks.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
HelenOE
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:06 am

Re: How did you survive Leonard?

Post by HelenOE » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:55 pm

Perhaps it is that Haschem has not broken faith with Leonard.
So one may infer.
seadove
Posts: 2084
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:06 am
Location: Israel
Contact:

Re: How did you survive Leonard?

Post by seadove » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi Chris. :D

Where did you get this that Leonard has broken faith with Ha-Shem? As far as I understood from Leonard himself when he performed in Israel in front of more than 50,000 fans he still keeps the faith.

There is no contradiction between him as an artist and him being jewish. No one can dictate to any of us how we keep the faith with Ha-Shem. Leonard is no acception and is free to indulge with his art.

The convent that you are talking about (i.e. Avraham And Noah) does not exist. Unless you are talking about Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Specifically, the most important convent is that of Abraham alone. The act of cercumcision is the only convent that I can think of right now and it started with Abraham cercumcizing his son Isaac.
HelenOE
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:06 am

Re: How did you survive Leonard?

Post by HelenOE » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:40 pm

This may be off-topic, moderators feel free to deal with this appropriately :)
seadove wrote: The convent that you are talking about (i.e. Avraham And Noah) does not exist. Unless you are talking about Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
As I understand it (this is not something I've studied specifically) there is a Noahic covenant: it's based on Genesis 9:1-17. God's promise not to destroy the world again by flood, with the rainbow as the sign of that covenant, and given in connection with the Noahic commandments.
seadove
Posts: 2084
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:06 am
Location: Israel
Contact:

Re: How did you survive Leonard?

Post by seadove » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:47 am

HelenOE wrote:This may be off-topic, moderators feel free to deal with this appropriately :)
seadove wrote: The convent that you are talking about (i.e. Avraham And Noah) does not exist. Unless you are talking about Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
As I understand it (this is not something I've studied specifically) there is a Noahic covenant: it's based on Genesis 9:1-17. God's promise not to destroy the world again by flood, with the rainbow as the sign of that covenant, and given in connection with the Noahic commandments.
Lol. I was taking this "covenant agreement between G-d and Noah as a kind of request from G-d to "gather all the species...." etc and ship them up on a boat so they won't be harmed by the coming storm. One can take this as Noah being the first person on earth who organised and took care of animals as in finding a safe home (or shelter) for animals.

The covenant that I had in mind was in believing in G-d and not any other G-d etc.
chillion
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: How did you survive Leonard?

Post by chillion » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi there.

Why I think Leonard broke faith? Well as the ten commandments contain: I will not redeem those who swear to my name in vain.

I mentioned the song Hallelujah where the text is like: You said I took the name in vain, I dont even know the name.

Thats why.

I dont think my question is intriguant, but I would really like to have some advice from such an master like leonard.

When you visit Jerusalem and see all the marks and signs that the people left there to communicate their perception of the creator then you begin to know that god has brought a lot of people from all continents and all beliefs and races there.
Such signs Leonard left within his lyrics to communicate his emotions and experiences.

Id be really grateful if I had a mentor like Leonard. I guess he must be a great dad at some point.

yours
User avatar
lizzytysh
Posts: 25464
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Florida, U.S.A.

Re: How did you survive Leonard?

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:08 am

Enjoyed your post, chillion!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
HelenOE
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:06 am

Re: How did you survive Leonard?

Post by HelenOE » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:08 am

chillion wrote: Why I think Leonard broke faith? Well as the ten commandments contain: I will not redeem those who swear to my name in vain.

I mentioned the song Hallelujah where the text is like: You said I took the name in vain, I dont even know the name.

Thats why. ....

...Id be really grateful if I had a mentor like Leonard. I guess he must be a great dad at some point.

yours
Well, if we're examining song lyrics for evidence of spiritual condition (which strikes me as perhaps a risky undertaking) then I will point you to "Born In Chains" (not released yet, but YouTube has the concert videos) as evidence that Leonard and the Ineffable Name are on very good terms. And, yes, his children certainly seem to think he's a great dad, and those he has mentored seem to think he's a great mentor.
Tchocolatl
Posts: 3805
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:07 pm

Re: How did you survive Leonard?

Post by Tchocolatl » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:48 pm

"an master" this could be a bad sign of a bad bad broken faith around here and a risk of a never ending misunderstanding. The Devil being in the details, like everyone knows.

Why? No one knows the name indeed. With all those " - "to begin with. Nor the face.

As for Leonard Cohen he certainly never swains in vain.

But this is not for nothing that the world of rock accepts him in the brotherhood. Tsk-tsk. At their risks and perils.
***
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Vicomtesse
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Brittany France

Re: How did you survive Leonard?

Post by Vicomtesse » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:38 am

chillion wrote:If I could ask a wise old jewish man a question about Life.
And if I had the opportunity to ask Leonard Cohen.
Id ask how did he survive not walking in the paths of Haschem?

Everytime I listen to Hallelujah I am remembered the day of leaving egypt.
I look around and see so many people who died young. I look at my own and
see how much I suffered and still suffer.

How did you manage to still perform on stage like this? Its really amazing.
You are among the very few, if not the only one I know of who broke faith
with haschem and became over 80 years of age.

In memory of the covenant of avraham and noakh.

yours from germany

chris
What do you mean exactly when you wrote... 'Id ask how did he survive not walking in the paths of Haschem?' ..?
I am assuming that you mean in a spiritual sense?

In his concerts, Leonard talks about his experiences studying different religions 'but humour kept breaking through' (I can't remember the exact quote), I think that about sums it up for me. If you can't laugh or smile now and again then what would be the point of going on regardless of whatever religion or faith one follows.
Vicomte
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Saint Malo Bretagne

Re: How did you survive Leonard?

Post by Vicomte » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:54 pm

Here you are my dear:

I’ve studied deeply in the philosophies and the religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

You can't argue with a statement like that.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
lunamoth2014
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:31 pm

Re: How did you survive Leonard?

Post by lunamoth2014 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:48 am

Perhaps a few answers may be found here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/ann-diamond/th ... 86963.html

<<Regarding the Man Next Door - I'm still recovering! And I mean that in the best way possible…All my favourite texts knock the ground out from beneath my feet. Not only did it topple me, it might be the most engaging memoir I've read. You make subtle gestures towards the devil in the details with a very sharp labrys…pure artistry.>> Andrew Roberts
Post Reply

Return to “Comments & Questions”