Johnny Carson

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lizzytysh

Johnny Carson

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:20 am

I've mentioned Ed McMahon twice now, since Johnny Carson's death. It's past time that I offer my condolences and heartfelt sympathy to his family and loved ones.

If you didn't live in the U.S., or maybe for some, even if you did, it will be difficult to understand the particular 'brand' of comfort this man ushered into our lives on a nightly basis. I spent many years staying up what should've been my bedtime, just to watch him, early on with the promise that I'll go right to bed. While I was married, he was a regular part of our lives. Gentle, subtle humour. Kindness to his guests. A host who was more interested in bringing out the best in his guests, rather than competing with and trying to top them [because it's his show; he's in control; whatever]. A wonderful presence in my life during those years, and one I looked forward to and valued nightly.

For me, he was to talk-show TV what Leonard is to music. That said, I also liked Jack Parr, and loved Dick Cavett's intellectualism. However, Johnny was family.

~ Elizabeth
Linda

Post by Linda » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:21 am

I can't say I will miss him, because I have missed him since the last show he did before his retirement, I am just more sad. What a wonderful entertainer. I loved him dearly.
Linda
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:08 am

He really was something of a show biz icon. No doubt. A lot of people (of course from the generation looong before mine), think that Jack Paar or Steve Allen were better talk show hosts, but they didn't have the charisma that Carson had.

It was interesting how he could actually make or break a comic's career. If a comic got invited to his desk after the monologue - the comic was in the door. If not, difficult. If Carson showed disapproval of the comic's act, the comic might as well have gone back to his day job.

He had a lot of power. I think, class as well. At least on stage. I understand his personal life was difficult. Nonetheless, from the Oscars to his own show, he always left his print. Times change, though. At one time, Bob Hope was the one to be. Now, I guess it's, I don't know, Letterman or Leno or even Conan. Not quite the same class. Not as good looking either.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:14 am

:lol: Lizzy, I posted without reading your post in full. I was just commenting on how I felt about Carson. Oh, brother, what now? :lol: I think you know what I meant? :wink: :roll:

Return to “Comments & Questions”