Leonard Cohen of mobile generation ?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
mirka

Leonard Cohen of mobile generation ?

Postby mirka » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:24 am

/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
lizzytysh

Re: Leonard Cohen of mobile generation ?

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:12 am

Mirka! I'm so glad you posted this here!
I love his voice and I especially like him and his approach to his music and the world!

I see what you mean when you ask your question... I love the rapt attention of his audience members... stopping to listen to meaningful songs being sung by someone who cares enough about what he's trying to do to keep doing it his way. And, in that process, bringing his audience along with him.

Asking people to shut off all the electronics in the one song and just be in the moment with him.

He has lovely, sweet humour... in describing what their next hour was going to be like; how The Sounds of Silence is the hardest song to clap to, but he appreciates the effort. He shows a lot of respect and gratitude for his audience. Thanking them after the song for being so quiet and respectful.

I'm ending up watching his whole concert... at 16 minutes right now.

He takes me back to the joyful feeling of the Sixties. I love seeing the real sense of connection in all those beautiful young faces with a young man who's just singing with a guitar, his voice, and his words. In our world so filled with a sense of disconnection and alienation, it's very heartening knowing that he's out there doing this.

Oh, WOW ~ all-the-things-he-hates song is GREAT!!! "Racist blokes telling tasteless jokes" ~ ETC. !!!!!

I'd love to have a recording of this concert. He engages and holds the attention of his entire audience. Such a welcome, healthy addition to music he is... this is going to be a WELL-SPENT 45 minutes 8) !

He's a LOVELY man.

I'm very sorry to see this end... just now... at 7:41 PM EST.

Thanks, again, mirka :D !
His style is different, of course, but I say it's not your imagination.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mirka

Postby mirka » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Glad you liked it, Lizzy :D
He says he sings "in order to connect with the people". On day of the organized gig usually sings in the street of the city/village (has been singing in the streets of European cities for a couple of years before making it into the stream of festivals/organized gigs and intends to continue busking as a way of living).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md9F8ZAU ... ata_player

This intention of "connecting with the people through singing" and the way he tells stories in his songs made me think he resembles LC in his reasons for singing.
Plus -- he took the stage name 'Passenger', this was name of Roscoes Beck's first band which accompanied LC on the 79/80 tour, nice coincidence :)
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:47 am

I remember hearing about Passenger back then, before I was aware of Roscoe, too.
In that concert, at the end, he told the audience he'd be busking somewhere, at some small club :)
Yes, and he DOES connect with people, as you know... and very well, indeed 8) .
I like how he forewarns the audience in the self-deprecating way that Leonard might, too.
I like this guy a lot!
Thanks for the additional link, too.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mirka

Postby mirka » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:24 am

Lizzy, you CAN have a soundtrack of this concert (and most of others uploaded on YT), just look here:
http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

mirka

(ps.
turns out the site above allows clips of up to 20 min. only, you'll have to find short clips of the concert, more work but still possible)
UrPal

Postby UrPal » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:27 pm

I looked at the Bavaria clip and my immediate comments would be:

(a) Cat Stevens surely?
(b) never trust a guy whose singing voice bears little resemblance to his speaking one.

That is an immediate response. He might yet turn out to be:

(a) a genius and

(b) my next most favourite thing

Who really knows.
mirka

Postby mirka » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:15 pm

I agree URPal, he might be closer to Cat Stevens, I must be obsessed hearing LC everywhere :lol:

There are more authentic clips of him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RncRYO9dbSQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rgjt_71twA

And in the PinkPop Show he is using his full stage voice, still very different from street busking.
I love the way he tells hearthbreaking stories, I guess this is what made me think of LC connection.
mirka

Return to “Comments & Questions”