the webb sisters

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
joyezekiel

Re: the webb sisters

Post by joyezekiel » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:34 pm

Ultimately these are Leonard's songs, so as previous commentators have pointed out, he is free to do with them as he wishes. And they are still his words, so I'm happy to listen to whoever sings them.

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
UrPal

Post by UrPal » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Songwriter, if my memory isn't false (and I must admit that it could be), the radio show in which Cohen first threatened to tour again about a year before he did (Was it the Norwegian programme about his relationship with Marianne?) featured LC performing a solo version of If It Be Your Will in an informal setting supported only by his guitar. I should check it out. It must still be floating around the internet somewhere. It might take that longing from your tongue, or it might well accentuate the hunger. Either way, you'll have heard something memorable, which also goes some way towards an explanation of why Leonard might prefer to listen to the song himself than perform it every work night.
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:21 am

Here's the interview. It's in three parts. I remember that Leonard sang If It Be Your Will but I didn't find it this time (but I haven't watched the whole thing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHqbIuN1diE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30u_L99IOLU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPUlVUWrv9E

Here's a transcript of the interview:
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/leonard2006.html

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
UrPal

Post by UrPal » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:28 am

Thanks Mary for establishing my recollection wasn't false. I wish I had a recording of the performance. To the extent that I recall the intimacy of listening in on that recording, and I sadly don't have a phonographic memory, a live performance by Leonard in a big auditorium might afterwards feel lacking in something. The interview reads well. Rather more revealing and wide ranging than I remember it.
holydove

Post by holydove » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 pm

I listened to Various Positions last night, & inevitably thought again about how amazing it would be to hear Leonard sing If It Be Your Will & Coming Back To You ( but esp. If It Be Your Will), in his current voice, & how much I would give to hear that even once.

And I had this idea: Now that the Webbs have versions of both songs that they have learned to perform by themselves, perhaps in concerts where the Webbs do Coming Back To You, Leonard could sing If It Be Your Will, & vice versa.

And the same with Sharon Robinson; perhaps she could revive Boogie Street, & in concerts where she does that song, Leonard could sing Alexandra Leaving, & vice versa.

That way the women could still have the spotlight for whichever song they do (& they do them very beautifully, I'm very happy for them to have the spotlight - no problem there. . .) - but that way we could hear Leonard perform those amazing songs with his beautiful, incomparable, awesome voice - & wouldn't that be just wonderful??!! Of course, it would mean eliminating other songs at times, but songs are always being eliminated to make space for other songs, so perhaps sometimes it would be worth eliminating something else to allow for Leonard's golden voice to be heard in these particular songs. Not that I am qualified to manage Leonard's setlist or anything like that, but I thought this was a pretty good idea & might make everyone happy, including, & most importantly, Leonard (assuming that he would like to sing those songs, which we don't know, but I hope he would like to). . . :razz:
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:17 pm

Holydove - You'll see I also had that idea on page one of this this thread! :)
holydove

Post by holydove » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:44 am

John Etherington wrote:Holydove - You'll see I also had that idea on page one of this this thread! :)
John, as I see now, you certainly did! I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to what you were saying at the time, or I didn't remember it - sorry about that, & thank you for pointing it out. Anyway, I think the idea was worth repeating (even though I didn't know I was repeating it!). It would be very nice if Leonard has had the same idea too. . .I would sooo love to hear him sing those songs live again, in his current voice.
regensburg

Post by regensburg » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:51 am

I agree with a lot of Forum Members on the subject about Leonard not singing "If it be your Will" I love the Webb Sisters and I do love Sharon. Their voices are absolutely angelic and a great asset alongside Leonard. However I would love for Leonard to sing "if it be your Will" also the one and only "Passing Thru" would be wonderful. But on the other Hand we can be so thankful that Leonard is still well enough to go on tour again and give us so much happiness. May God bless him.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:50 pm

You see, if the title of this thread would have been "If it be you will", and a plain and fair demand for Leonard Cohen to sing that song, I (probably) not have post anything. Who does not want to hear Leonard Cohen's voice in every of his songs and others' songs? Who just does not want to hear Leonard Cohen's voice again and again?

I have reacted to the "Webb Sisters" infuriating some bloke for their angelic rendering of the song, in the context of a fabulous concert, a unique event. Opening a thread with an attack against those two, an attack that is weird and skaring not to say that it is not an appropriate manner, to begin with, to ask Leonard Cohen to sing the song.

Then I had reacted to this bloke trying to convince me that this attack was just the use of brit slang. (and I supposed, he was trying to make me believe that I was the one who was acting "wrong", not being skilled enough in English to understand this).

I'm sorry but it is just another attack. Clear and loud. So I was still worried. So I was still posting.

But I am not upset by the desire of fans to hear Leonard Cohen sings If it be Your Will.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
songwriter

Post by songwriter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:53 am

Tchocolatl wrote:You see, if the title of this thread would have been "If it be you will", and a plain and fair demand for Leonard Cohen to sing that song, I (probably) not have post anything. Who does not want to hear Leonard Cohen's voice in every of his songs and others' songs? Who just does not want to hear Leonard Cohen's voice again and again?

I have reacted to the "Webb Sisters" infuriating some bloke for their angelic rendering of the song, in the context of a fabulous concert, a unique event. Opening a thread with an attack against those two, an attack that is weird and skaring not to say that it is not an appropriate manner, to begin with, to ask Leonard Cohen to sing the song.

Then I had reacted to this bloke trying to convince me that this attack was just the use of brit slang. (and I supposed, he was trying to make me believe that I was the one who was acting "wrong", not being skilled enough in English to understand this).

I'm sorry but it is just another attack. Clear and loud. So I was still worried. So I was still posting.

But I am not upset by the desire of fans to hear Leonard Cohen sings If it be Your Will.

Well I must say I find this message somewhat strange!

English is not my native tongue and I can assure all forum member that I try to the very best of my small abilities to converse with them in this beautiful language in a correct manner.

I did not mean to attack the wonderful webb sisters, and I think from later messages you can all see I have no hatred towards them and nothing but deep respect and admiration. This was merely a thread to express my desire that the whole of the show was dedicated to leonard singing, particuarly if it be your will, a song which holds deep meaning for me and has attached to it some of the happiest memories I have from my whole life.

I was just hoping to start conversation with some other wonderful forum members, and most certainly do not want to harm anyone feelings in any way.

I say again: the webb sisters are simply magnificent in every wa
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:50 pm

songwriter wrote:(...)

I say again: the webb sisters are simply magnificent in every wa

Ey! Buddy! What do you exactly mean by "wa", he? ;-)

As a songwriter I thought that you would be more sensitive in the use of the words, in the action of using the words I mean. No matter the native language, "Webb sisters" and "If it Be Your Will" are clearly two different matters.

But OK, by now I will take your word about all this. :D
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Return to “Comments & Questions”