we NEED an album of LC spoken poetry

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
niq

we NEED an album of LC spoken poetry

Post by niq » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:22 pm

I'm a newbie--I don't normally engage the world in this way, but hey, desperate needs require desperate means...I have been a Leonard Cohen uber-fan for more than three decades now-just saw the awesome concert in Austin! But seriously, here is the thing--I have found that during his concerts lately, at the rare moments when he chooses to simply recite a song/poem, (for example "A Thousand Kisses Deep") that I am stunned by its beauty and complexity all over again, possibly even more so (than when sung). Thus, I feel that it is imperative that Mr. Cohen's fans must rise up together and demand (no, really, we should ask nicely) that he put together an album of spoken poetry, including some from his collection of songs--perhaps the album could recorded live, in a single take, on a 40 year old reel-to-reel tape recorder, in some small, secretly known smokey cafe. Maybe one in Austin, who knows...also I very much liked the print that came with "Old Ideas," and so think that this (double) album of spoken poetry should include a print. I'll fork over the dough, as I know many of you will. Otherwise, as far as I know, the only album of spoken poetry by Mr. Cohen (and several other ancient Canadian poets) is "Six Montreal Poets," which I like very much-but Mr. Cohen must have been about 15 years old at the time--now he has so much deeper wisdom to offer. All in favor, please swamp the Forum with requests of this kind! Also, I must admit that I am using a photo of one of Mr. Cohen's prints as my avatar on my e-mail account--if that is bad behaviour, someone please let me know, and I will remove it. Some artists are more copyright sensitive than others, I have found (or, if Mr. Cohen reads this blurb, perhaps for a small fee, he will give me permission to use the print as my avatar?). Oh well, as long as I'm here, one more thing: It would be nice if you (Mr. Cohen) sing some of your more obscure songs on tour, as they are some of the best in my opinion (please disregard this whine, if in fact you do so, but just not at my concerts..."), for example: "The Traitor," "The Stranger Song," "Un Canadien Errant," "Joan of Arc," "Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On," "Ballad of the Absent Mare," etc. I think that when he performed the very rare "Please Don't Pass Me By" In Seattle (2009), it was one of his best live performances ever! And any time I hear "On That Day," I can't help but to cry, it is cathartic still...the event is still unbelievable, and is singed into my brain, in technicolor; my family attended too many funerals at that time...
its4inthemorning

Re: we NEED an album of LC spoken poetry

Post by its4inthemorning » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 am

Leonard REALLY reads poetry well. I think being a poet and reading poetry is what taught him to enunciate his so well when he sings. Not like so much music where you are constantly guessing at the lyrics.

For a great reading by Leonard, google "leonard cohen youtube god is alive" and you can hear him read a remarkable passage from his novel Beautiful Losers:

"God is alive. Magic is afoot............."
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:16 am

Leonard did a wonderful reading of 'The Tibetan Book of the Dead'. It is on DVD and I am pretty sure you can find it on Youtube. I think you will really enjoy that.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 am

Totally agree with you, niq... would love to one day learn that this project is in the making.

Welcome to the Forum, niq :D

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 am

In 2006/2007 Leonard recorded the whole Book of Longing reading for the Philip Glass project.
In 2008 I suggested him a special edition of the Book with those recordings on CD(s). He said that
a poetry CD is in the plans but has no priority in the foreseeable future. After that he has toured and
recorded Old Ideas plus been working on more songs, so we don't know if such a poetry CD will
ever be released.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
bridger15

Post by bridger15 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:28 pm

jarkko wrote:In 2006/2007 Leonard recorded the whole Book of Longing reading for the Philip Glass project.
In 2008 I suggested him a special edition of the Book with those recordings on CD(s).
What a brilliant idea, Jarkko. WOW. I would love to have such a set. Any chance of reminding him again about this?
He need do no further work on this project, right. :D

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com

Post by 264811403188 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Oh yes, please!!! How wonderful would such an album be! I often listen to Classic Interviews, cannot get enough of his speaking voice. Anything from Leonard will always be welcome!

Gerrida
GMKarsten
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:00 pm

I agree. Long time overdue I think.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..

Return to “Comments & Questions”