After the show

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Box_of_Rain

After the show

Post by Box_of_Rain » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Doesn't it feel like the saddest moment? There's so much that leads up to it. The anticipation. The excitement of seeing old friends and meeting new. The effort and challenge it takes to make it happen. The surprises in store. The smiles the love the respect. It's all there happening in the moment. And then all of a sudden, it's over, as if you didn't expect it to end, you forgot it would end. You are the last one out of the building because you want the moment to linger. Plus your friends are the slowest in the whole crowd! You try to make after dinner plans but the heart is closing. Time to return to the world. You begin to wonder, can I make Montreal? Wouldn't it be nice. Because you don't want to let go. That's how I felt after the show.
lightasabreeze

Re: After the show

Post by lightasabreeze » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Yes, you are waiting it seems forever to the time you will be going to the concert. The time drags, will the day ever come.... Then it's here and four hours goes so fast it seems you are leaving before you know it. The next day is flat and you are left with wonderful memories and wait with anticipation to hear if you will get a chance to see The Man again, and then it starts all over once more..
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:16 pm

I know this room and I've walked this floor. This was exactly how I felt after Lissadell as at that stage I had no other concerts planned. It was those feelings which gave me the courage to go to Katowice (alone and the first time I'd left Ireland). I'm hoping that by the time Toronto comes around there will be an official announcement of the tour next year as those are feelings I don't wish to encounter just yet. Box_of_Rain, I hope you make it to Montreal. I will be there.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:31 pm

After the show, I feel happy and so fortunate to have had the beautiful, life-affirming experience of one of Leonard Cohen's concerts. I almost literally float out of the venue, basking in the euphoria of it all, with a big smile on my face. Someone once said, "Don't dwell on what has passed away or what is yet to be," and I think that is pretty good advice.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:28 am

That is such a beautiful, poignant, and honest description from in the moment, moment to moment, Box of Rain.

Yes, the euphoria is there and remains, but there's another whole level there that is as you've described.
The ambivalence of it all.
And, after seeing a number of concerts, it feels like a given in my life to see them 'regularly,' that there is always going to be one more. They are a given part of my life. For me, it seems the realization that continues to dawn, that it won't always be that way, drives this other set of feelings.

This especially :cry: :
You try to make after dinner plans but the heart is closing.
And this :( :
Time to return to the world.
Then this :? :
You begin to wonder, can I make Montreal?
And :) :
Wouldn't it be nice. Because you don't want to let go.
The progression is spot on.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Post by mutti » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:23 am

Hi Denise Box of Rain
It was so nice to see you this last week...first at the Event on the 30th and then at the meet up seeing you in your wonderful Red Gypsy wife outfit with the rose in your long flowing hair. I also appreciate you telling me to come sit next to you when an empty seat appeared after the first set.
I am sorry I had no more energy to go out after the concert. Hallow'een on 6th Street must have been wild!I loved your face when I told you I turned 60 last year...an instant understanding or compassion showed...sometimes I can party late but after the concerts I am finding I am so wired that it hasn't worked out for me to go out afterwards.
I do hope you get to another concert if that works for you...
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
B4real

Post by B4real » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:40 am

I know exactly how you all feel – see here:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23564&start=30#p256574

You know, I secretly (or not so secretly :) ) think Leonard feels as we do. He wants that wonderful euphoric feeling to continue for himself as well.
And aren’t we lucky to get the benefit of it all. :D

But as the old saying goes, “don’t be sad that it’s over, just be glad it happened!”
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Oh... and I just realized that my focus on the dinner plans/heart closing made it appear that it's always that way. That was simply my 'comment'/response to the particulars of the attempts that night.
~ Oscar Wilde
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:05 pm

I think some people understand my feelings, but just be sure I'm not complaining in the slightest! To the contrary...if I didn't cry, it wouldn't be a Leonard Cohen concert! I love the deep emotion it evokes! So happy is definitely the feeling too!
quetzalcoatl80

Post by quetzalcoatl80 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:49 pm

In every Leonard's concert I take a monumental slap.
His luxurious concerts stick me throughout the shiver.
I no ressors never unhurt of such an emotional delug. Impossible.
In every concert the shivers cross me the spinal column. I have the throat and the heart who squeeze up. Tears go up me to eyes. The emotional explosion is cathartic.
The end of the concert is the end of a transcenental meditation. The mantras recited during more than three hours fade, but their profit is intact. The magic of the music has operated.
Léonard is a charmer. I say to you.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Love your beautiful comments, quetzalcoatl80 8)
~ Oscar Wilde
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:40 am

thank you, everyone! what beautiful words and cherished moments...

did you hear the rumor he's touring again?! ha ha
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:28 am

LOLOL... well, ya' know, it seems I did hear a whisper of that, Denise ;-) .

IF he does, will you be going to any :D ?
~ Oscar Wilde
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:03 pm

I got a ticket for Oakland. It's really difficult, a hard, hard decision with so much going on in my life at this time. I felt very impulsive and knocked off my rocker. I was beating myself over the head, wondering if I did the right thing and feeling very spoiled. Another ticket?!

The funny, funny part is when I was looking at the tickets, I could hear, plain as day, Leonard singing in my head, Suzanne.

And today I thought, there might be the super hopeful chance that he will sing Joan of Arc
and just that chance of hearing Joan of Arc, makes it all right.

I am happy and thankful.
mutti

Post by mutti » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:25 am

Wonderful news Denise...I will see you there. Was great to see you in Austin and I look forward to seeing you again in Oakland.
Leslie :D
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “Comments & Questions”