What does Leonard mean to you?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
comehealing

What does Leonard mean to you?

Post by comehealing » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:37 pm

This is a question that I have been thinking about a lot recently.

Perhaps, it's to do with a burning excitement that is building up as I await to
see him play London on his latest tour? Maybe it's to do with the fact that Leonard
Cohen's oeuvre has had a huge impact on my thinking since I became acquainted
with it a little over 10 years ago?

Either way, I think that it is an important question. It is a question we ask of everyone
at some point, who has had an impact on our lives - friend, lover, or in this case, artistic
and cultural heroes.

I love the fact that Leonard has addressed the fundamental themes of existence - love,
desire, betrayal, redemption, connection - right from the beginning of his musical and
writing career. The way in which he draws upon various philosophies, religions and
cultural ideas, forever exploring and mining what it is to be human. His songs and writings
can be listened and read over and over; they yield so much, yet always offer new meanings.

We can dip in and out of his work at various times of our lives, whether we are 15 or 55, and still
discover new truths. Maybe, this is what Leonard means to me. He is timeless. His writings
stand apart from time but help me make sense of time. Leonard helps me appreciate that life -
while it may be baffling at times - is mostly blazingly beautiful.

Thank you Leonard for enriching my existence and thank you to an old friend who introduced me
to this incomparable "Troubadour Sans Pareil" on the threshold of my adult life.

Alexis
Alexis
"Who, being loved, is poor?"
(Oscar Wilde)
"That love is all there is" (Emily Dickinson)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
lizzytysh

Re: What does Leonard mean to you?

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:04 am

Dear comehealing ~

This is a very good question and I'm sorry that no one's responded to you. I've entered in here, just to give that fact some context. In various ways and times, many here have previously talked about that very thing... either on their own or in response to specific threads dealing with that very personal issue; which has been reflected in the many, varied responses. So, it's not that no one is interested or doesn't think it's a great question... quite the contrary! It's just that after having explored it in various ways, they're just not feeling motivated to respond again. [And your own comments are a tough act to follow, regardless ;-) .]

It is nothing personal regarding you or your question, or the way you've asked it. In absolute FACT, your explanation accompanying your question is BEAUTIFUL, in depth, and very meaningful. Everything you've said is absolutely true and your appreciation of those things speaks very well of you. Leonard's timelessness has always been one of the major themes of my own depth of appreciation of his work. Your phrase "blazingly beautiful" regarding life is so full of joy and hope... and all of that ~ joy, hope, and blazingly beautiful ~ are in his work, as well.

Thank you SO MUCH for stepping out as a newcomer here to reach out to us with such intelligence and insight 8) ~ and beauty. I LOVE your chosen name. I hope you'll stick around and join in. You clearly have much to offer here.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
comehealing

Post by comehealing » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Dear Lizzy,

Thank you so much for your kind words ( I have only just picked this up
as I was in London for the weekend).

Your post has truly made my Monday :) In truth, I wasn't expecting an answer
as I realised that what I wrote could be construed as being somewhat rhetorical.

It's a privilege to be part of such a considerate and even-tempered forum where the
love for Leonard's work is evidently palpable.

Thanks again,

Alexis
Alexis
(Oscar Wilde)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi Alexis ~

I'm happy you got my response.

Generally speaking, what you say about us here is true. We haven't always been this way all the time, but we've improved immeasurably, myself included ;-) . Before Leonard toured, again, we had a few 'times' ~ life.

Of course, your question was rhetorical in its way, but it's still good to be able to express that for yourself and hear back from others :) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
1000-kissesdeep

Post by 1000-kissesdeep » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:24 pm

I have just enjoyed reading all the lovely comments on Leonards happy birthday thread, they reveal alot too. Your words are exactly what I have felt about dear and respected Leonard since coming across him only a few months ago. And to have joined this forum is wonderful, also to be at a concert and see and meet so many people who have been with Leonard all their lives, or grown up with his music in their house :) How wonderful, truly blessed. I have reached the age of 38 without that blessing, but in such a short time feel so spiritually connected with Leonards beautiful soul and blessed by its light indeed. Amen :) thanks for sharing, I would love to find some links to other threads where many have shared his preciousness xx
comehealing

Post by comehealing » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Your words are exactly what I have felt about dear and respected Leonard since coming across him only a few months ago
Thank you for your kind words. I believe, wholeheartedly, that one is never too young to become acquainted to the music of L Cohen and drink in the effable beauty of his words and the potent mystery of his music. So thrilled that you have tapped into this newfound love. It is a journey that will last a lifetime : )

Absolutely agree about the energy one feels when attending a Leonard Cohen concert (even felt this when I recently watched the legendary performance at the Isle of Wight Festival, 1970 on DVD). The magic is palpable and the courtesy so contagious. When I went to Wembley couple of weeks back, this was manifest. A lovely couple sitting next to me were intrigued as to how I discovered Len's music, remarking that I appeared on the youngish side. Sweet words indeed (am in my early 30s); I guess the kid inside will never die. The joy is that everyone has their own tale vis-a-vis this question. A million stories deep, perhaps.

This forum is an incredible space in which to share the love.
Alexis
(Oscar Wilde)

Post by 264811403188 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:14 pm

A very important question indeed, Alexis, and very wise words from you and Lizzy.

I'm not good with words and especially not in the English language, but what I can say is that Leonard Cohen means everything to me. I keep him in my heart, my thoughts, my daily life. He is my inspiration, my mentor, my hope, my joy.

I do have a family - husband, children and grandchildren whom I all love. But then I have Leonard, his songs and his poems. I do not talk a lot about him because other people don't feel the same admiration and love for this man who in my "secret life" is almost sacred.

All the best to all of you who share my feelings.

Gerrida
GMKarsten
sbreen

Post by sbreen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:03 am

I do not talk a lot about him because other people don't feel the same admiration and love for this man who in my "secret life" is almost sacred.

Gerrida
I used to feel like this too - but I'm amazed at how many people have understood my reasons for travelling from NZ to Dublin for a Leonard Cohen concert.

When I first discovered Leonard over 40 years ago - it was a shared experience with others at university.

Then came many years of quietly experiencing his words,music and lyrics.

Now, the wheel has turned again and I am sharing his music with others.

Return to “Comments & Questions”