What to Wear to Leonard's Concert

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
GraceC

Re: What to Wear to Leonard's Concert

Postby GraceC » Tue May 22, 2012 1:39 am

Oh Wendy, of course I was joking!!!!

I'm only 5 feet tall. I know what it is like to sit in a concert or theater and not be able to see because of the persons sitting in front of me. Would never do that to someone else. More importantly, I would not want to anger anyone.

G.
lightasabreeze

Postby lightasabreeze » Tue May 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote:
GraceC wrote:How about an LC hat? They are sold at Hollywood Hatters. Leonard's brand is called Melodrama. I kid you not! Check it out? Oh lord, I gotta rein myself in before I order one to wear to the concert!

Where IS that darn like button?
Oh Grace, I'm sure you're joking ;-) ;-) but you have hit on one of my concert "pet hates". LC hats look really stylish - but only on stage or outside the auditorium. There is nothing worse than being sat behind some selfish b*****d who insists on wearing their hat through a performance without a thought for whether the person behind them can see anything apart from the hat. Grrrr :-x :-x

Wendy
Well said Wendy, I agree.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Tue May 22, 2012 10:57 pm

GraceC wrote:How about an LC hat? They are sold at Hollywood Hatters. Leonard's brand is called Melodrama. I kid you not! Check it out? Oh lord, I gotta rein myself in before I order one to wear to the concert!
You would certainly not be the only person in the audience to sport a fedora, if that is what you end up doing (but of course, keep it on your lap during the concert! Although at your height, it may not be an issue ;-) ).
surfergirl

Postby surfergirl » Sat May 26, 2012 3:32 am

No, even if one is short, the brim of a hat makes a head super-wide, so when you're trying to find the stage between 2 heads, with hats they join together in the dark, and you see nothing. Another annoying issue is even without the hat, when the two heads get close together to whisper, the entire row behind the talkers all have to adjust their bodies to find the gap!

Fortunately for me, with front row center, I'm just going to have to complain if the head of a large security guy blocks my view.

As a veteran concert goer, I have seen the highs and lows of concert-wear, and it can be pretty diverse. I'm going to say LC concerts are a little toned down compared, say, to an '80's new-wave fan base. I like style and comfort -- there's always one song where you're going to be on your feet dancing or swaying, that's a given. I often get cold at venues, so I like a jacket that can double as a seat cushion if I'm sitting behind a tall person, so I can be a little elevated. So my mode of dress is generally hip and cool, and nothing that's going to piss off people to either side of me or behind me. And that also holds true for smell -- nothing worse than sitting next to someone who absolutely reeks of cheap perfume!!
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
evelyn

Postby evelyn » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:11 am

I like to take my cue on how to dress from Leonard..elegant, elegant, elegant!

Cheers,
evelyn
david birkett

Postby david birkett » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:09 pm

A wry smile, tinged with the knowledge of human frailty.
The Ogre does what ogres can,
Deeds quite impossible for Man,
But one prize is beyond his reach:
The Ogre cannot master speech.
bridger15

Postby bridger15 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:57 pm

After the World Tour ended, I had a request to buy someone a fedora just like the one LC wore in concerts on the last legs.
He noted that LC had switched from the steel gray Melodrama to a "skinny brim" style.
I called Hollywood Hatters and sent an email with a photo from one of the later concerts.
His hatter said, "It is a Diamond Crown Wool Fedora, but he didn't buy it from us. It is one of his old hats."
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
GraceC

Postby GraceC » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:15 am

How about a polka-dot blouse?
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:43 am

On or off, Grace ? ;-)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
GraceC

Postby GraceC » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:08 am

lizzytysh wrote:On or off, Grace ? ;-)
Well.....On, if I can find one.....to wear to Austin concert,lizzytysh.
regensburg

What to Wear to Leonard's Concert

Postby regensburg » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Leonard is always elegant and this is what I will be wearing. Something elegant.
Paul Zagreb

Postby Paul Zagreb » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:12 am

Well, for Ghent, I would say: Something warm that looks cool!
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Paul Zagreb wrote:Well, for Ghent, I would say: Something warm that looks cool!
Forget about looks, cool or otherwise, I'd say something warm that is definitely waterproof .....

Wendy
FOXWOOD

Postby FOXWOOD » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:59 pm

GraceC wrote:I'm only 5 feet tall. I know what it is like to sit in a concert or theater and not be able to see because of the persons sitting in front of me.
Stilts?
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013

Return to “Comments & Questions”