Meaning of sample song?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
khutsky

Meaning of sample song?

Post by khutsky »

I am wondering if anyone understands the meaning of the LC's sample song? I don't think he intends to be, but the use of the word slave several times and in the context of the lyrics makes it seem racist. Pls help me to understand. I was so excited to hear he did a new CD and now am disappointed and don't want others to hear that song.
drsing

Re: Meaning of sample song?

Post by drsing »

I think you are in the wrong section with your question. Check out the topic : "Fan Thoughts":

http://leonardcohenforum.com/viewtopic. ... e177db7ef6

Especially the issue DREAMERMUSIC raised:
"Sometimes songwriters try hard to get a complex tune, complex and elaborated chords and lirycs, but what is true is that the simnplest thing is what most remains in people's head. This is the case of this song, the beauty and the nakedness of sinmplicity. The narrator's voice here is that of an old man (...the place I've forgotten...) Amnesia appears as a sign of the age. The voice is praying, asking for help, surrendered like a slave of love who will do everything he is asked to. It is the return to the 'dust' and 'mud' we all are made of, where 'the Word became a man' (or flesh), where 'the suffering began'. It's Death. It's the return to the Creator."

I could not say it better.
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam

Return to “Comments & Questions”