The forum has grown!

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Maarten

The forum has grown!

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
Looks like the World Tour 2008-2010 has brought us "some" new members.
Screenshots:
Who is online, February 2008
Who is online, February 2008
Who is online, October 2011
Who is online, October 2011
From 3500 members to 21000 in under 4 years...

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
brightnow

Re: The forum has grown!

Post by brightnow »

Indeed it has grown, and I'm quite sure that the number of active members has grown as well (although not quite as sharply as the number of registered users). This opens the door to a whole lot of relevant questions: What can we do to keep growing this online community? How can we attract more members and keep current members engaged when LC is not touring? Is our online community healthy? Does it have a sustainable base for growth? What else can we improve?
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

We've done beautifully, haven't we, Maarten... and meeting each other has only enhanced the beauty we already have here 8) .

You have been an integral aspect of those meetings that just keep us going and growing.

The quintessential just keeps getting quinessentialer :D !

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

brightnow wrote:This opens the door to a whole lot of relevant questions: Is our online community healthy?
Parts of the community are unhealthy.
brightnow wrote: How can we attract more members and keep current members engaged when LC is not touring?
Ban trolls, and those who use multiple personalities to confuse newbies. This forum is for serious debate, and is not a vehicle for egotists who like to play mind-games.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

I registered some time during the world tour, but I can certify that it wasn't the tour that brought me here.
I wish it would have been - but let's not talk about it. :razz:

Even if the forum has grown, I actually feel it quieter than it was on my first days here, but that might be because I don't follow all the boards and maybe the most interesting conversations take place elsewhere.. :)
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

brightnow wrote: Is our online community healthy? Does it have a sustainable base for growth?
The Forum is a real calibration of the continued and active identification with LC's "voice"........ with performing/public visibility the sustaining anchor.....
without some LC activity/presence, I believe the Forum will sadly evolve to a place comparable to those cherishing other icons. Not all that bad, but somewhat more passive in spirit. Somehow I feel the written word (past or future) would not be as adhesive.

With apologies to the lasting on-line friendships this Forum has facilitated.

Leonard from Montreal
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
B4real

Post by B4real »

Those numbers are impressive but I do wonder why people join and then never actively participate in some way on the forum. It can't just be they registered because they wanted good concert seats. I did visit the forum from time to time before 2007 but I hadn't registered because I felt a bit timid about doing so. Finally I decided to join but like Stamatina it had nothing to do with the world tour, it was just time for me to do it. I do know some who are registered do only read what other people write so I suppose they are silent participators but there is consequently no record to show of their interests.

Even so, I think it is wonderful that the numbers have increased because taking the overview it can only benefit Leonard and ourselves. In the long run that's what we are all here for anyway.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
caz

Post by caz »

I think perhaps there are other members like me: I've been a fan since the seventies, and although I knew about this site more latterly and was aware of the tour before it began, I used to just read but not contribute. When the tour got under way the Forum became more lively and I joined so I could contribute - though I was never a prolific poster.

Now, sadly, I simply don't have time to post as often. Life seems to have got in the way. I am back to reading but not contributing, except occasionally, especially when I've found a good article to share (courtesy of Google alerts). I've made some new Facebook friends, I've converted some of my acquaintances to the Leonard cause, and I've enjoyed reading many of the threads on here. I'm glad the Forum is here in the background for me and glad I decided to join; congratulations to all involved for its success, and good on you Jarkko!

Carole
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

caz wrote:I think perhaps there are other members like me: I've been a fan since the seventies, and although I knew about this site more latterly and was aware of the tour before it began, I used to just read but not contribute. When the tour got under way the Forum became more lively and I joined so I could contribute.Carole
That's me! ! ! ! Will I leave it? Once I've found the many benefits of being a member (the major - threads and posts that are unread are highlighted - keeps one from reading the same thing over and over again and the other - there are sooooo many nice people here (and I haven't even touched on the fact that so many are well informed and intelligent and teach me so much!) ) I will never leave this place!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Tony

Post by Tony »

I don't think one has necessarily to contribute to be an active member. A simple interest in what is happening is enough. Like any living thing the forum has ebbs and flows in accordance with outside influences.

Return to “Comments & Questions”