Would LC consider this?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
its4inthemorning

Would LC consider this?

Postby its4inthemorning » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:18 pm

I post this with some trepidation, as I fear some will chastise me for making an unfair request of someone we all admire. Here goes anyway.

In Las Vegas on December 10 Leonard made this very moving comment before "Anthem": "So many of you here have been to many concerts and have supported us on three continents and put yourselves out of pocket to encourage and support us, and we are deeply aware of the gesture and of the sacrifice, and I want to express our gratitude to those...I don't want to call them fans, they are of a much deeper order than fans."

While Leonard certainly does not lack of charm, I believe his statement was from the heart and reflected his true feelings. So...I was wondering if Leonard might somehow consider doing this:

Agree to spend a day with six of his loyal fans on a date of his choosing in Montreal, Los Angeles, or some other location he might determine sometime between this autumn and his album release next spring. The lucky fans would be selected from this forum's members through a lottery process, with three names selected and each winner permitted one guest. All decisions regarding time involved and activities would be Leonard's.

I guess this is a lot to be asking of anyone, but being one of the lucky participants would be an experience remembered forever. Who among us has not fantasized about meeting the man and discussing his work, thoughts, and life?

For those who think this is a poor idea, be kind with your criticism.

4inthemorning
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Goldin

Re: Would LC consider this?

Postby Goldin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:45 pm

its4inthemorning wrote:For those who think this is a poor idea, be kind with your criticism.
There you'll find both supporters and opponents of this (imho) poor idea: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26457
(don't be confused by the title, the discussion was not only about buying his time)
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
leonardmtl

Postby leonardmtl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:53 am

I too have always wondered about Leonard's feelings toward his fans.

I recently came across an early interview given to Bruce Pollock that appeared in After Dark in February, 1977. It expresses a fatalism that is so compelling and so sad at the same time .........and which may explain his storied reluctance to interact with his fans on a personal basis. I think this explains Leonard's concern about "protocol" and the space between the relationship with his audience, his intimate connections, and the large space in between, which is frought with dark uncertainty.

from the article......

"you see they (the fans) are people that have your own experience"

"I wound up asking him if he ever got letters from his fans and how he responded.
"You've got to play it by ear," he said. "You can involve yourself totally in the lives of your listeners, and it has got to be disaster. I mean, I put my work out the very best I can. It comes out of my life. It's a very large chunk of my life. I can understand if it becomes important in another life. But whether you involve yourself personally in these other lives is another matter."
"I'm not talking about somebody who has a fantasy of a singer. These are people who really relate to your own experience and vice versa. Now maybe they're living some kind of milieu where they don't have people to relate to. You set yourself up as a kind of kin to these people and they see it and it's true. That's the fantastic thing about it. You meet them and immediately you see they are people who have your own experience. So over the years I have somehow fallen into some lives that my songs have led me into, and some of these lives have ended --rather violently, rather sadly..."

Nope!...other than an accidental meeting, I don't think its in the cards.
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
lightasabreeze

Postby lightasabreeze » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:07 am

I think, for me, I would rather him keep his magical mystery.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
rigray

Postby rigray » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:58 pm

I think this is an unusual idea. :!:
Dublin May 1976 /Dublin Dec 1979 / Dublin Jun 1983 / Dublin Mar 1985 / Dublin Jun 1988 / Dublin Jun 2008 / Dublin Jul 2009 / Sligo Jul 2010 / Dublin Sept 2012 / Dublin Sept 2013
its4inthemorning

Postby its4inthemorning » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:37 pm

But then, Leonard Cohen is an unusual writer/musician/performer.

Do you mean unusual as in "ridiculous and inappropriate," or unusual in the sense that, "I've never heard of a performer doing something like this"?

By limiting the attendees to six and leaving it to Leonard to set the rules and agenda, I think it possible that the "day" would wind up being low key and hopefully a bit of fun for him as well. I had envisioned something like (if Montreal was the locale) brunch in a venue where all could converse, a walking tour of sorts of his favorite parts of the city, a rest break for personal time, and reconvening in the evening at a nice restaurant for a leisurely and memorable dinner.

Yes, this would be unusual, but not really outlandish. Oh well, one can dream!
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!

Return to “Comments & Questions”