New Album Coming out?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Anna Cline

New Album Coming out?

Post by Anna Cline »

Hi everyone,
im new here.
sorry i was lazy to fumble through all the forum, i was just wondering if everybody knows if Leonard is going to put out
a new album anytime soon?
im talking about new songs -- not live/road songs...
thanks
Anna
Goldin

Re: New Album Coming out?

Post by Goldin »

Hi Anna,

welcome to the forum!

I hope you'll be glad to know, that he is!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22041

And you can find the most recent considerations about tracklist here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22041&start=45,
& new lyrics - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22041&start=75

Best wishes,
Anna Cline

Post by Anna Cline »

Thanks Goldin -- good to know

Ill surely buy the cd when its out , but its pretty disappointing though… I heard most of these songs already…
the lyrics are quite basic and oversimplified ..im always looking for that 60’s 70’s magic wavelength songs with multi leveled meanings
… just him and the guitar again with a little acustic enhancements ….I guess its too late for that ;) ..just my view..
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

I understand you, Anna.
But I love each and every style of Cohen's passion. It's great that he changes and allows us to see various sides of his talent. Forty-year evolution, isn't it cool? ;) (not counting the decade of "pure" poetry)
And by the way, I'm not so sure about his today's "simplicity". You can sink in the meanings of "Born in Chains", if you want 8)
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Anna Cline wrote:Thanks Goldin -- good to know

Ill surely buy the cd when its out , but its pretty disappointing though… I heard most of these songs already…
the lyrics are quite basic and oversimplified ..im always looking for that 60’s 70’s magic wavelength songs with multi leveled meanings
… just him and the guitar again with a little acustic enhancements ….I guess its too late for that ;) ..just my view..

:shock: "lyrics are quite basic and oversimplified" :shock: I guess we are all entitled to our opinion but that is a statement I could never associate with Leonard and I consider his song writing as good now as it was back then. Born in Chains especially is sublime to my hearing and there is no one who compares with Leonard when it comes to being able to write such songs of depth in their 70's.
However that is just my opinion and I guess I am lucky that the new songs do it for me. It is a shame that the same can't be said for you. Anyway welcome to the forum and I wish you many hours of happy reading and posting :)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Anna Cline

Post by Anna Cline »

Not to stir the pot too much…;) In my mind you cant compare his pre 1992 work or might I dare saying pre-1984 songs-- from his last 2 albums –
There’s a huge gap – de-volution in my opinion – he’s still great though – no one like him really…
im not just talking about the lyrics---- it’s the ‘energy’ or ‘potency’ even 'wisdom' I felt more before ….

Very foolish of me to compare ,and very random.. but here’s some example –

"That Don't Make It Junk"---
“How come you called me here tonight?
How come you bother with my heart at all?
You raise me up in grace,
Then you put me in a place,
Where I must fall.”….

"The Window" ---
“For the holy one dreams of a letter
Dreams of a letter's death
Oh bless thee continuous stutter
Of the word being made into flesh”….

"Go No More A-Roving"
“Though the night was made for loving,
And the day returns too soon,
Yet we'll go no more a-roving
By the light of the moon.”….

"Sing Another Song, Boys"
”Ah, they'll never, they'll never ever reach the moon,
at least not the one that we're after;
it's floating broken on the open sea, look out there, my friends,
and it carries no survivors.”….
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Anna,

don't want to argue about his lyrics.

Just one remark: I believe you don't know, who's that Poet of "Devolution" :lol: who wrote "Go No More A-Roving". It was Lord Byron, in fact. Cohen wrote the music.

By the way, I love such a poetry: straight and clear. I guess you don't like "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye" too. Do you? :cry: ;-)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I am very much looking forward to Leonard Cohen's new album! I love his new songs, and I am most curious about what arrangements they will have on the studio album (compared to the live versions that we were treated to on the tour). Plus, I can't wait to hear the other songs that will join them on the new record.

Leonard has always had a unique way to express himself in song that touches something deep within me, and this applies to all of his material throughout the years. I love that he has evolved, that his style has changed over the years as he has explored different ways to create his art. There are many artists who churn out the same sort of material, always sounding the same from one album to the next. I'm glad that Leonard Cohen is not one of them!
Anna Cline

Post by Anna Cline »

thanks -- its nice getting all these opinions.. :D
its clear that some people here are already so hooked , you just gobble up every new thing he puts out immediately and say its amazing--
nothing wrong with that -- im like that when it comes to rare/ unheard of versions of old ...
but in my opinion you just cant compare his older work to his latest 2-3 albums.
for example -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2yz2CTcm0

* ( by the way my favorite album is -- 'Recent Songs'
and i DO like "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye" -its not my favorite, but its worlds better than "because of" , "Dear heather" , " on that day" or any of those songs..)
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Well, Anna,

let's not talk of words or songs and things we cannot judge.

I strongly believe, such controversies always reduce to nothing.

Let's wait for the new Master's album, even with dissimilar feelings!
Anna Cline

Post by Anna Cline »

deal!! i will hold my tongue ..( unless i get bitten) 8)
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Nice to hear 8)
Don't worry, this is a calm place, I mean our forum ;-)
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Everybody who are "friends" with Dino Soldo on Facebook can see an interesting photo uploaded via iPhone to his profile two hours ago... I'd say it's Dino, Ed Sanders and LC working in studio, just now:)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thanks for the update! I guess we'll have to be patient for a while longer!
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I was hoping for a new 210 Songs from the Road. Just watched the ' 208/9 Songs' again and love it. Hallelujah from Coachella was perfect. But I suppose his newer songs will be included on the new disc we are all waiting for.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to “Comments & Questions”