Pro-Life Video Expropriates 'The Future'

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
miz.gallant

Pro-Life Video Expropriates 'The Future'

Postby miz.gallant » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 am

Dear Mr. Cohen & those who support Mr. Cohen's rights to his music,

The other day, I was perusing some videos posted by Live Action, an American pro-life group which uses any means possible, including fraud, to advance its cause. Recently, their target of choice has been Planned Parenthood, the trusted provider of reproductive health services and sex education. (Because Planned Parenthood does provide abortions--even though these amount to only 3% of its services--it has recently come under attack more than ever before in a proposed bill which would cut all federal funding to Planned Parenthood.) One of Live Action's videos, which depicts PP as a racist organization bent on exterminating minorities by targeting them for abortions, features part of 'The Future' playing in the background. I was disgusted on many levels by the video, but to use a song I hold in such high esteem was to add insult to injury. I don't know where you stand concerning Planned Parenthood, abortion rights, etc., but I at least wanted to ensure that you are aware that your work is being used by this pro-life group to attack women's health.

If you'd like to see for yourself, 'The Future' begins about 1:35 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apLjGQnT ... re=related .

Miz Gallant.
brightnow

Re: Pro-Life Video Expropriates 'The Future'

Postby brightnow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:01 am

Hi Miz Gallant, and welcome to the forum!
This is definitely something that should be taken up by Leonard and his manager, so that they can decide what they want to do with it. I suggest that you contact Robert Kory (Leonard's manager) directly at: rkory@koryrice.com
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
its4inthemorning

Postby its4inthemorning » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:50 pm

One very pleasant attribute of this board is the lack of politics. There are plenty of websites you can go to to express political views, I do not see why you chose to register here on 3/6 just so you could post this on 3/7.

Please reconsider the idea of introducing politics on this forum.
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
miz.gallant

Postby miz.gallant » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks for the contact information, brightnow. I will email him shortly.

its4inthemorning: Had I been able to find a private channel through which to contact Mr. Cohen, I would have done so in the first place. My main intention was to alert Mr. Cohen to the use of his song, operating under the assumption that it is without his permission. That's why I addressed my first post to him and those who respect his rights to his music. I thought it relevant to include a summary of the context in which 'The Future' is being used.

(As for the personal/political dichotomy--I could take issue with keeping those realms separate, but that's another debate entirely.)
brightnow

Postby brightnow » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:47 am

miz.gallant,

Please consider one of these options: Ask the moderators to move this thread to the "politics" section where it will not offend anyone OR edit your original post, remove the parts that can be perceived as political opinion and leave the facts (after all, the message has served its purpose not that you have Mr. Kory's contact information, no?).
Then stick around, lots of friendly Leonard Cohen fans here :) welcome to the forum.

Avi
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
somewhat_nifty

Postby somewhat_nifty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:24 am

I don't think this is a political topic?! Just someone expressing their concern that LC's music may have been used without his permission and by people with some dodgy views (whatever your views on abortion, it's part of the lunatic fringe to consider it a racist conspiracy!). And great that you have contacted his management about it :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
TheWrongMan

Postby TheWrongMan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:47 pm

somewhat_nifty wrote:I don't think this is a political topic?! Just someone expressing their concern that LC's music may have been used without his permission and by people with some dodgy views (whatever your views on abortion, it's part of the lunatic fringe to consider it a racist conspiracy!). And great that you have contacted his management about it :D
Couldn't agree more.
1993:London RAH 2008:London O2 x 2, London RAH, Brighton 2009:Weybridge, Liverpool, Barcelona 2010: Lille 2012:Wembly 2013:London O2
KaimiK

Postby KaimiK » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:29 am

somewhat_nifty wrote:I don't think this is a political topic?! Just someone expressing their concern that LC's music may have been used without his permission and by people with some dodgy views (whatever your views on abortion, it's part of the lunatic fringe to consider it a racist conspiracy!). And great that you have contacted his management about it :D
Oh yikes, I've been trying to bite my tongue. I have to respectfully disagree that the racist conspiracy is part of the lunatic fringe. Do a google search on Margaret Sanger, the founder of Planned Parenthood. She was very open about her support of negative eugenics. There is an abundance of her writings available. Perhaps the goal has evolved, but there is little doubt as to the original aim.

And with that, I won't say another word...
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
somewhat_nifty

Postby somewhat_nifty » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:58 pm

KaimiK wrote:
Oh yikes, I've been trying to bite my tongue. I have to respectfully disagree that the racist conspiracy is part of the lunatic fringe. Do a google search on Margaret Sanger, the founder of Planned Parenthood. She was very open about her support of negative eugenics. There is an abundance of her writings available. Perhaps the goal has evolved, but there is little doubt as to the original aim.

And with that, I won't say another word...
Oh yes, that was the same back in England - Marie Stopes, who founded clinics etc, had the same views (she disowned her son for marrying a woman who wore glasses!). But it was never the sole aim even then - and to claim it's still relevant today - sorry but I still think that's nutty. But this is a topic that can cause heated debate and is not suitable for this board, so let's just agree to differ :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept

Return to “Comments & Questions”