Leonard and “baraka”

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Andrew (Darby)

Leonard and “baraka”

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:00 pm

This afternoon I was speaking to a delightful couple who are also going to see Leonard in November here in Melbourne. They said to me that Leonard’s concert they attended here last year was the best they had ever been to (which I've heard repeated several times). They are of the Sufi Islamic religious persuasion and described Leonard as bestowing “baraka” on the audience (though one of them suggested that the audience would not necessarily understand fully what they were experiencing). Upon my asking about their use of this term - which I related to an engrossing and inspiring movie from the 90’s - one of them described “baraka” as a type of blessing (and so by inference, a special spiritual gift that not many people have). 8)

Anyway, out of curiosity I Googled the term as well, ascertaining that it’s used in both Arabic/Islamic and Judaistic contexts to mean a blessing or spiritual wisdom from God. So, for this couple, their praise for Leonard was of the highest order. I’m sure many of us here, with whatever terminology we might use, would likewise extol Leonard in such a superlative way for his spiritual and/or emotional affect on us. :D

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
kalinowt

Re: Leonard and “baraka”

Post by kalinowt » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Great story Andrew. There is another forum discussion going on as it relates to Cohen's "sufism". Check out "Lover, Lover, Lover & Rumi" if your interested.

Thanks!

Andrew (Darby) wrote:This afternoon I was speaking to a delightful couple who are also going to see Leonard in November here in Melbourne. They said to me that Leonard’s concert they attended here last year was the best they had ever been to (which I've heard repeated several times). They are of the Sufi Islamic religious persuasion and described Leonard as bestowing “baraka” on the audience (though one of them suggested that the audience would not necessarily understand fully what they were experiencing). Upon my asking about their use of this term - which I related to an engrossing and inspiring movie from the 90’s - one of them described “baraka” as a type of blessing (and so by inference, a special spiritual gift that not many people have). 8)

Anyway, out of curiosity I Googled the term as well, ascertaining that it’s used in both Arabic/Islamic and Judaistic contexts to mean a blessing or spiritual wisdom from God. So, for this couple, their praise for Leonard was of the highest order. I’m sure many of us here, with whatever terminology we might use, would likewise extol Leonard in such a superlative way for his spiritual and/or emotional affect on us. :D

Cheers,
Andrew :)

Return to “Comments & Questions”