Misheard Lyrics

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
tomsakic

Re: Misheard Lyrics

Post by tomsakic » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:35 pm

Coming Back To You
Many websites still quote "Baby, I'm still hurting" as the first line - but it is "Maybe I'm still hurting"... Though, I'd swear that on some shows LC sings "baby" but I should double-check all tour tapes...

Queen Victoria
For decades everywhere was printed

Queen Victoria,
My father and all his tobacco loved you,
I love you too in all your forms,
the slim unlovely virgin floating among German beer

until one Forum member didn't realise it's beards few years back.

Take This Longing
This song actually begins:
Many men have loved the bells
you fastened to the rein;

what makes sense; but for years even LC printed it as "fastened to the rain".
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi,
Driving in the car with my iPod on the car speakers, my youngest son (8yrs old, Dutch speaking) asked for his favourite Leonard Cohen song (mainly because of the "fantastic intro, dad!").
But can you guess which song is his favourite one? He himself refers to it as "The rainbow cute"...
:-)

The first part of the title does sound a bit like "The rainbow cute" and the song does have a great intro!

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Goldin

Post by Goldin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:04 pm

Ain't No Cure for Love? :razz:
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Goldin wrote:Ain't No Cure for Love? :razz:
Yup! :D

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Goldin

Post by Goldin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Very cute story! :D
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:36 am

that IS cute, maarten... i could see an 8 yr old loving the singalong sound of this song.

i've always 'heard' the lyric as "fastened to the rain" ~ something very magical about the image and idea... doing the undo-able transcendently.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
seadove

Re:

Post by seadove » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:38 am

Makera wrote:The only LC song I misheard a word on was "Hallelujah": I first thought "the baffled king composing Hallelujah" was the 'battle king'. I suppose it still kinda fits.

~Makera
I wanted to jot this down but then I decided to skim through the whole list of posts to see if somebody mentioned this. Sure enough. :-)

I think that "battle king" is more appropriate. As far as I learned about David he was less of a baffler and more of a battler. You can find this evidance in Samuel's Book (the first one). Every page in that book is punctuated with battles, conquests, intrigues and peeping on roofs. Lol. The story goes that if it were not for the peeping on the roof on Batsheva there would not be Solomon and without Solomon there would not be the Temple and without the temple there is very little reason for the creation of Israel.
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:23 pm

I once heard a friend singing Dylan's Slow Train. When she got to the lines "Fools glorifying themselves, trying to manipulate Satan"... she sang, "Fools glorify themselves trying to mend the village Satan" ... Her defence was that Dylan often writes cryptic songs... On another occasion she transmogrified (cloth ears!) "The pale ghost retreating between the king and the queen of swords" into "They're paying no street cleaners between the king and the queen etc...." Also heard someone on a radio programme who thought Stevie Wonders chorus, "You can feel it all over" was "Dick & Phyllis are lovers"????????
glass

Post by glass » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:39 pm

mnkyface wrote:Lift me like an olive branch and "be my homework done"
(instead of "homeward dove" in Dance Me to the End of Love)
Ah, I came here to add that one, actually! I'm glad to see there's nothing wrong with my ears ;)

Another one:
And my varicose companion
gets me fumbling, gets me laughing

That one made a lot of sense in my head, since she's a hundred and wearing something tight!
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:12 pm

Okay Maarten - since you shared, I will too! My 2 year old and I were waiting in the car for her sister to get out of preschool and listening to Old Ideas. I was turned around playing with her when she suddenly stopped, gave me a serious look, raised her little hands and shruggged her shoulders in that questioning pose, shook her head disapprovingly and sternly said, "Mommy, why they talking potty talk?" Me, "Sweetie, he's saying healing of the body, not potty." You can tell, this has definitely been a topic of conversation in our household recently! Those of you with young kids know, and with older kids, should remember! :shock:
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:23 pm

KaimiK wrote:Okay Maarten - since you shared, I will too! My 2 year old and I were waiting in the car for her sister to get out of preschool and listening to Old Ideas. I was turned around playing with her when she suddenly stopped, gave me a serious look, raised her little hands and shruggged her shoulders in that questioning pose, shook her head disapprovingly and sternly said, "Mommy, why they talking potty talk?" Me, "Sweetie, he's saying healing of the body, not potty." You can tell, this has definitely been a topic of conversation in our household recently! Those of you with young kids know, and with older kids, should remember! :shock:
:-)

I'm in the "remember" fase already, thank god!
Maarten

B4real

Post by B4real » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:21 am

This very old thread was started over 11 years ago by Paula and I thought I'd resurrect it for the following reason and also because with all of Leonard's new (and old) songs someone may have misheard a word or two from them over the last two and half years since the previous posts.

Today I was listening to a new song by Jackson Browne called Leaving Winslow from his new album Standing In The Breach. I'd heard it a few times before but wasn't really paying close attention to the lyrics as much as the tune until now. I was sure I heard a line that said, “He’d recite from Leonard’s favourite koan”. I thought that's very interesting and listened to it again a few times convinced that was what I'd heard. Seeing that Jackson knows Leonard fairly well I thought it was a clever line. I was about to ask Jarkko to add the song to his list on the files of those that mention Leonard in but when I looked up the official lyrics it was written as, " He'd recite for them his favorite koan". It's amazing how the mind interprets what it wants to hear and not what the ear should hear! :)

Have a listen at about 4:25mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge6MPAkhXSU
Concert at Birmingham 17 Nov 2014 Symphony Hall
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:55 pm

That's interesting. I was at the Manchester gig on Tuesday and was convinced he had name checked Leonard Cohen in a song (sadly, can't recall which). I looked to my wife, but it had not registered, so I left it. I wonder how Koan is pronounced?
B4real

Post by B4real » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:59 am

Hi Liamberney,
I guess it does depend on your accent but here are a few of examples:

How to pronounce koan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zUi3-Zlvdo
http://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/how-do ... /koan.html

How to pronounce Cohen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnRYC2LQDWQ

Maybe he did say Leonard in the concert you were at! And speaking of concerts I see that Jackson’s concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London for this coming Monday 24th November is completely sold out!

But back to misheard words. I have to say my favourite is one that I still sing in my head:
“With the photographs there, and the moths” :) and it officially is -
“With the photographs there, and the moss”.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:34 am

And look dear heart, look at the virgin
Look how she welcomes him into her gown
Yes, and mark how the stranger's cold *****
Dissolves like a star falling down
Why trade this vision for desire
When you may have them both
You will never see a man this naked
I will never hold a woman this close

I heard :

The stranger's cold hammer. :roll:

The first time I heard the song.

I knew Leonard Cohen was known for his bold exploration of unknown territories. That in this matter he had plenty of cheek. And all. But this particular line did not feel "like him" to me. So I did check. "Armour". Ah! OK... Now, the world continued to go round. And round.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Return to “Comments & Questions”