Misheard Lyrics

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Paula

Misheard Lyrics

Post by Paula »

I found this site

http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist ... nard.shtml

There are only a couple for Leonard but I wondered if anyone had misheard any lyrics in his songs which put a totally different outlook on his song
Kush

Post by Kush »

I've mentioned this before but for 10 yrs or more I always heard...

Your love is some dust in an old man's cup (sic)
till I found out recently it is "cuff"
linmag

Post by linmag »

At one point, Leonard was in the habit of closing his concerts with a brief biblical exerpt:

Whither thou goest, I will go
Whither thou lodgest, I will lodge
Thy people shall be my people
Whither thou goest, I will go

The first time I heard the second line, I thought it was going to be a drinking song. (Whither thou lurchest, I will lurch.) :oops:
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
songster

Post by songster »

For a long time I thought LC was singing in the song Democracy about "getting lost in that hopeless little scream"
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

I thought that about democracy too, until I read that post! :oops:
Paula

Post by Paula »

Linmag I quite like your version I should think that might have been applicable to Leonard at certain periods in his life :lol:
linmag

Post by linmag »

That was my feeling, Paula. Just another drunk in a mdinight choir :D
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
dick

Post by dick »

I tried to get Cohen misheard lyrics way back when on the cohen ng. Most just said he was so clear that misintreptation were impossible. :lol:

There are several sites devoted to "mondegreens" -- here is one:
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~wilk ... reens.html

Other Cohen lines?
dick

Post by dick »

Here are some from the first book of mondegreens....

"The ants are my friends/They're blowin' in the wind" ("The answer my friend/Is blowing' in the wind"-Bob Dylan)

"Sweet dreams are made of cheese" ("Sweet dreams are made of this"-Eurythmics)

"The girl with colitis goes by" ("The girl with kaleidoscope eyes"-The Beatles)

"Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy" is sure to make you want to get your hearing checked.

dick
Paula

Post by Paula »

There was an advert in England once for something and it was a spoof on Dylan's Sub Homesick blues video the one where he has all the cards with the words on and they used Desmond Dekker and the Ace's song Israelities

The words of the song are:-

Get up in the morning slaving for breakfast so that every mouth can be fed oh oh me israelite.

What they sound like and if you have ever heard the song you will know this:-

Get up in the morning same thing for breakfast oh if every mouth could be fed oh oh me ears are alight.

Dick I love your the ants are my friends blowing in the wind :lol:
mamalex

Post by mamalex »

for a very long time i thought the line in "who by fire?" who by something blunt was who by something blonde.
Makera

Post by Makera »

The only LC song I misheard a word on was "Hallelujah": I first thought "the baffled king composing Hallelujah" was the 'battle king'. I suppose it still kinda fits.

~Makera
jeannieb

Post by jeannieb »

Until a month ago, I thought the line from "Who By Fire" was "who by silken glove".

On one of the live versions. I actually became embarrssed for Lenard when I heard "who by something glove", and thought he had forgotten the lyrics! Finally, I got a clue. Now, I ahve been listeneng to that song since I was 19, ( I am 50 now), so when I finally heard what I was supposed to hear it just cracked me up.....
"...and for something like a second, I was cured, and my heart was at ease."
Mark B.

Post by Mark B. »

I am slightly ashamed to admit it, but I thought it was "many men have loved the belt you tied to the reins".
Pete

Post by Pete »

'Graceland' by Paul Simon is a beautiful song but has now been spoiled for me because of someone relating a misheard lyric.
Don't read the rest of this if you don't want it spoiled for you because when you next listen to it you will not hear the intended words.. his pronounciation is very poor for this particular line... and it definitely sounds like this.................

end of the 4th verse
'as if I'd never noticed
the way she brushed her hair and farted'

sorry to share this with you :)
Pete

p.s. when I first heard Field Commander Cohen I couldn't figure out what was messy about the ocean tides :lol:

Return to “Comments & Questions”