Top five LC albums...

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Box_of_Rain

Top five LC albums...

Post by Box_of_Rain » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:34 am

What do you think my first LC album should be?!
How about top five?

Thanks for any help!
MaryB

Re: Top five LC albums...

Post by MaryB » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:51 am

Denise,

It really does depend on how you were introduced to LC - what song(s) was it you first heard him sing?

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
kokenpere

Post by kokenpere » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:53 am

Hello BoR -

1. Songs Of Leonard Cohen
2. Field Commander Cohen
3. The Future
4. I'm Your Man
5. The Essential Leonard Cohen
or Ten New Songs

all the best

Michael
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:54 am

Well actually I knew everything except for two songs at the Beacon show. I've only been listening to songs I've found on a website called playlist.com

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/14433686795

that's the link to my playlist...

thanks for any suggestions
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:34 am

Denise,

If you don't have it, The Essential Leonard Cohen. The 2 CD one, some posts on this Forum have said that the 3rd CD that was added was not that great. With this CD, you not only get a variety from other CD's, but you also get his voice from different decades. I think this CD also has the words for all the songs. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi Denise,

My first Leonard CD was the 2-disc "Essential Leonard Cohen". The 3rd disc was sort of a throw-in last summer I think to capitalize on his popularity in Europe and the tour over there, but as Mary said many fans were less than impressed. Anyhow, humbly speaking as someone who really only truly came to Leonard just over a year ago, this would be my list suggestions:

The Essential Leonard Cohen
Songs From a Room
The Future
Field Commander Cohen
Dear Heather

Some may dispute my last selection and initially I was ambivelent about the cd, but returning to it after 6 months it was like opening up a new treasure.

Hope this helps a bit!

All the best,
Diana

ps..just edited this to add a 6th (I know, I know, you just wanted 5) which would be Songs of Love and Hate. HOW could I forget that one!!
hydriot

Post by hydriot » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:09 pm

1. Songs of Love and Hate
2. Ten New Songs
3. New Skin for the Old Ceremony (with, in my opinion, his best song ever 'Take This Longing')
4. Various Positions
5. The Future
6. I'm Your Man
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:56 pm

Denise,

As you can see, it's sooooo hard to keep it down to 5 choices! If your love of LC is driven not only by his poetry in his songs, but by his voice in the last decade or so, this will make a difference in your choice of 1st CD you decide to own. 'The Essential' would seem to still be a good starting point - it gives you a little bit of everything.

Kindest regards,
Mary

What Diana, no 'I'm Your Man' :? :?:

Hydriot - love your choices! No 'Dear Heather' - it really does grow on you. So what if it makes 7 on your list :lol:
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:12 am

Oh yes Mary...."I'm Your Man" is up there too. Whew, wouldn't it be for any woman ;-)

And Denise, I agree with Mary to first purchase "The Essential LC"...and then gradually buy all the others! :D

Definitely buy the "Book of Longing".... it is awesome poetry and will stay with you forever! From there, if you want, you can branch out into earlier poetry or even his novels.

All the best,
Diana
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:47 am

Hi Rain ~

Looking at the times, and your response to MaryB, it appears you may have missed Michael/kokenpere's response to you [which included a list], as it was posted just 1 minute before you posted yours to Mary.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:28 am

Of course I'm reading all the responses, over and over! Thank you to everyone! It's exciting to know what you all appreciate the most and to try to figure out where I should began. The neatest part is that I actually already have one cd...The Beacon show! I only wish I had the whole thing. At least NPR included A Thousand Kisses Deep...

Thank you, Michael, Mary, Hdroit and Diana!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:39 am

I thought I'd posted this yesterday, but somehow I didn't!

"The Essential Leonard Cohen" is an excellent compilation, but could be too much, too soon. Also, you miss the more subtle gems on the individual albums , as well as the overall moods. Therefore I can only really suggest a top eight.

Definitely "Songs of Leonard Cohen", "I'm Your Man" and "The Future", plus the following four - "Recent Songs" (Leonard's underrated masterpiece, which I prefer to listen to this in the autumn), " "Songs of Love and Hate, which is Leonard's darkest, most intense work (and also includes "Famous Blue Raincoat), Various Positions" (includes not only "Dance Me to the End of Love" and "Hallelujah", but gems like "Coming Back to You" and "Night Comes On"), "Ten New Songs" (more zen-like, understated and quite wonderful).

That seven! I aslo personally love "Songs from a Room", though some would find it too bleak and austere (includes "Bird on a Wire").

Ultimately you should buy the lot of course...many will suggest "New Skin For the Old Ceremony" (which includes classic songs but is more uneven). Probably best to save the live albums till last, as well as "Dear Heather".

All good things, John E
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:26 am

Hi Denise,

You have had to sort through all of our suggestions; however, John Etherington is, without a doubt, the most high guru, full of knowledge of our Leonard...his recordings, poetry and books. Truly, truly, I would defer to him in all things regarding LC, so perhaps it might be best to follow through with HIS suggestions. You will not be disappointed. You may think I'm teasing on this matter but I'm not. That he replied to your question with concrete answers is pretty awesome. He does not suffer fools, so he therefore must feel that you are truly interested, as I know you are.

Take care,
All the best,
Diana
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:55 am

Hi ladydi,

Thanks again for your kind words! To approach the question of collecting Leonard from a different angle, it should be noted that Leonard is a perfectionist, and all his albums are worthy aquisitions. Also, since he has only released a total of fourteen albums and most of them can be obtained for around £5.00, you can buy his entire works for less than the price of a concert ticket! I have noted that all of Leonard's albums have been given between 4 and 5 stars on Amazon. Most of them have five stars, but the ones that have four and a half are: Death of a Ladies Man (which I forgot to mention above), Recent Songs, Various Positions, Ten New Songs and Dear Heather. New Skin For the Old Ceremony is the only one that has four stars. Overall, I would say this is one case where ratings are approximately correct, though I would personally give Recent Songs five stars without hesitation. I was fortunate enough to hear each album as it was released (sometimes with several years wait) so I was able to fully savour each one. I guess that ultimately, it's a very personal thing, as to which of Leonard's songs most affect people (across a wide range of ages) at any particular time.

Love to all, John E
Last edited by John Etherington on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:39 am

Thanks John and Diana! I definitely noticed John's post and appreciated his remarks. I was actually thinking the same thing about compilations, best of type albums. I have a pretty good idea where to begin. Slowly but surely.

Thanks to everyone!

Denise

Return to “Comments & Questions”