Leonard's Recent Meetings with Cohenites

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
MaryB

Re: Leonard's Recent Meetings with Cohenites

Post by MaryB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:03 am

Mabeanie1 wrote: I have no photos as I was on my own and anyway, somehow it would have spoilt the moment to get my camera out and ask him for a picture. Wendy
And now there's a beautiful picture of you with Leonard, kinda, on the mosaic page!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 am

Mabeanie wrote:
Just to be clear: mine is no 14 year old crush; this is a 40 year old crush! It just started when I was 14 .....

"I loved you for a long, long time
I know this love is real ...."

Fortunately, my husband of 35 years is very understanding and was very happy for me when I rang to tell him about my encounters!
Horrid, horrid shade of green here :!:

Mine is a 40 year old crush too - since the age of 12!! My understanding husband likes him too.
I used to feel like you - that I wouldn't want to meet him. However, in Dublin we knew where he was staying & had several days to 'bump into' him. Alas, we looked & went to what we thought were the right places but it didn't happen. :( :cry: :cry:
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
Mordy

Post by Mordy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Wendy - how wonderful for you. Just got back from Nimes. Please - can you put me out of my misery - I originally booked us into the Novotel, and then decided we ought to go to somewhere cheaper, so I changed it. But I kept thinking that that was probably where they were all staying, and like you, just being under the same roof .... etc! So - did I make a big mistake?!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Mordy wrote:Please - can you put me out of my misery - I originally booked us into the Novotel, and then decided we ought to go to somewhere cheaper, so I changed it. But I kept thinking that that was probably where they were all staying, and like you, just being under the same roof .... etc! So - did I make a big mistake?!
There is no easy way to tell you this Mordy but .... yes, they were at the Novotel. Did you make a big mistake? Well, probably not as you must have saved a load of money! The Novotel was nice but overpriced in my opinion. The only reason I stayed there was because some of the other hotels had mixed reports and I wanted to be certain that my one night in Nimes would be a reasonably comfortable one!

W
Mordy

Post by Mordy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Oh no! Wendy, I'm going to have to be really adult about this!!

I guess we did save money - especially as my son came as well, so that would have been two rooms for two nights, as we travelled out on the Wednesday, just to make sure Ryanair got us there in good time! But what is money when it comes to something like this? :cry: Especially as there was one measly fan in our hotel room battling with all the heat, the room looked out onto the market square, so there was noise all night, the street cleaners started at 5am, and the towels were like bits of sandpaper ... Just think (as I did at the time), we could have been comfortable - and - and - and - under the same roof ...
Ho hum, I think I'm just going to go and pour myself a large glass of wine :roll:
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:36 pm

Mordy wrote:the towels were like bits of sandpaper ...
Ha!! I think I know exactly where you stayed! In which case you probably paid less for your 2 rooms x 2 nights than I did for my one night under the same roof ... Whoops - sorry!

W
Mordy

Post by Mordy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote:Ha!! I think I know exactly where you stayed!
Oh dear, so its reputation went before it!
But, looking back and being positive, we did the tourist thing and visited the Arenes on the Thursday morning - and an added bonus was being able to watch the concert being set up, and chatting with one or two of the techies. :)
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:21 am

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! - It happened again!
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG
Last edited by MaryB on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:23 am

One more to follow
This was the Isle of Wight comment
This was the Isle of Wight comment
IMG_0325.JPG
'Whither Thou Goest'
'Whither Thou Goest'
Last edited by MaryB on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:35 am

OMG OMG OMG OMG Mary!!! :) :) :) Where, How?????

I love the last one...you made him laugh!!
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by MaryB » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:33 am

The story:

I figured where the United Touring Company was staying in Columbus. George, my long-suffering put up with a Cohen addict spouse, said 'no problem' when I said 'let's just go to the bar to have a drink'. We got there at 10:40PM. The bar was to close at 11PM. Bob Metzger and his wife Leanne have been known to have a cocktail before turning in. That's how we met them in Hamilton, Ont. at the beginning of the tour (and where I had my second LC encounter). It was worth taking the chance and gave me time with my husband away from the forum :roll: ;-) :lol: .

We walked into the hotel and OMG, there was Roscoe and 2 of the road crew! It's an intimate round bar, very nice, with the center section having a few shelves, that prevent direct viewing of the other side. My heart is pumping, what to do?, what to do? Then;

George - You know Leonard Cohen is sitting on the other side also.
Mary - He doesn't drink (much/at all?) anymore. Don't tease me. Don't do that to me.
George - He's there.

Mary sidles over, looks between the shelves, and, OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG - George wasn't teasing - IN THE FLESH - I am having drinks (in the same bar) with Leonard Cohen!!!!!

George - Aren't you going to go over to talk to him?
Mary - No way!
Mary - Bartender, we'd like to buy the four gentlemen on the other side of the bar a drink.
Bartender - I don't know if they will want one and one of them is only drinking water. They've been
here a while and I think they're going to be leaving.
Mary - Please tell them a forum member would like to buy them a drink.

Mary tries to look nonchalant. Bartender comes back.

Bartender - The gentlemen said thank you very much, but only one accepted your offer.
Mary - What was the drink of choice?
Bartender - A gin and tonic.

Mary is thrilled because that is her drink of choice and hoping it was Roscoe who chose this. George and Mary continue having conversation, all the while never looking in that direction - talk about restraint. Ten minutes later, the entourage rises and is leaving. THEN, Mr. Cohen and Roscoe walk over to us to thank us for the offer!!!!!! HEAAAAVVVEN!!! Thanking us - are you kidding?

Of course, Mary is fully prepared. In her black LC tote, is her purse, black magic marker, but most importantly, her camera, and the tour book purchased in Barcelona.

Mary - Mr. Cohen, no thank you. I always come prepared. May we have a photo?
Mr. Cohen - Sure.

There is a couple, John and Melissa, (we later discover, from 80 miles away, staying at the hotel because they are going to the concert)

Mary to John - Would you take our picture?
John - Only if you take a picture of us a email it to us.
Mary - Deal!

John takes the camera. Melissa disappears.

LC - It might be better if we move over here so we don't have as much glare.
Mary - :D :D :D

Chitter chatter, chitter chatter. Melissa reappears with their camera. More photos. Roscoe excluded in theirs :roll: :( . Mary takes the opportunity to have Roscoe autograph the center page of the tour book and chat with him while George takes pictures of John and Melissa with LC.

Mary to Roscoe - You have really nice handwriting. (He does.)
Roscoe - No, he (refering to LC) you should see his.
Mary - Mr. Cohen?
LC - It's really dark in here (photo 4). It's lighter by this table on the other side. Better yet, let's
go in the lobby (photo 5).
Mary - (while LC is signing) We were listening to the Isle Of Wight CD on our way here. Have you
heard it yet?
LC - (that wry smile)
Mary - Oh wait, you were there weren't you?
George - I know what you were like at 35.
LC - (not chuckling - LAUGHING!)
George - You know what they say 'Life's too short'. (George's favorite mantra)
LC - (Much more laughing)
Mary - There is such a big difference in the performances now.
LC and Roscoe - (Quizzical looks)
Mary - From the beginning the performances were phenomenal, but now you're having so much fun
on stage!
LC - We were nervous in the beginning. We didn't know how we would be received and if we were
really any good.
Mary - But the reaction from the crowds and the media were extremely positive from the very
start! I love the concerts where there is so much audience interaction and participation,
for example Red Rocks.
LC - That was a really good one. The venue was beautiful.

These are not verbatim, but as close to my recollection as possible. There was much more conversation. Oh, I do remember telling him he had to quite following us all over the world :lol: which also amused them. What amazed me was that for the first time I was out of my adulation, too much nervous talk, don't know what to say mode. We actually chatted!!! Just like normal people and had the best precious 7-10 minutes with the man himself. We were all normal. How priceless was that! There was additional talk (Roscoe included) about why Columbus, how we (forum member chats) are all going broke and that now the forum members need to start their own 'Beautiful Losers Touring Company' to recoup some of the finances lost following his tour, LC and Roscoe being amazed at people attending more than one concert.

As they were leaving, heading towards the front doors:

George - Where you going? Are you sleeping on the bus?
LC and Roscoe - (Raucous Laughter as they head toward the elevators)

A pure unadulterated joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
IMG_0327.JPG
Last edited by MaryB on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:58 am

Esther,

I made a notation under the photo you referenced. Had them out of sequence. Edited to make them right.

Almost 10 minutes is a very long time to have the priviledge of chatting with the man himself. As a result, I could not include the whole thing.

After the fact, I was thinking, why didn't I invite him over to my house, offer to show him the sights in Columbus (yes, we are known for our malls :roll: :lol: ), what are those shoes he wears on stage that allow him to stand for 3 hours (of course I would have asked him - George is always in the market for nice looking comfortable shoes 8) :lol: ), ask him to come with us to our club (where we were headed - Karaoke night) to do LC karaoke ;-) :lol: . Oh, and put Lover, Lover, Lover back in the setlist - drat, I forgot!

Hopefully, you get the gist of the conversation - very easy going, relaxed, and above all, loaded with laughs. Don't know how often he runs into that. Maybe a lot, but what do I know. All I know is that, unlike my other two wonderful encounters, this was without a doubt the ultimate slice of LC heaven.

Warmest fuzzzy regards,
Mary
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:19 pm

OMG Mary!!!! :D :D :D :D

How lucky can one woman get! I am SO thrilled for you and absolutely LOVE your story and photos (although Leonard does look a little tired, but heck, they were relaxing and that's probably why his impeccable tie is a little askew!). I think I know what you mean about feeling comfortable talking with everyone. Well, I may still be a little tongue-tied if I were face-to-face with Leonard :shock: But after all this time and all these concerts, it just seems natural to talk to Roscoe or any of the other band members!

I love that you got him laughing, and the Isle of Wight comments! :lol: :lol: Yea, I guess he WAS there! :D

You seem to have that magic touch....I'll be stickin' close to you in Vegas! :D ;-) 8) :D

Diana

ps..How funny that they were amazed at fans attending more than ONE concert! :roll: If only they knew how many concerts most of us have spent our life savings on!! And now it may start again next year! :roll: :D
mutti

Post by mutti » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:51 pm

OMG Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is just so great! magical lady...I too will never leave your sight in LV...Chuckle chuckle..
How beautiful and natural that all was...and great photos!
Did you tell them how many concerts you and George have been to in the last 2 years...sounds like they aren't aware of this.
This is just so cool. I am so happy for you! George must have been thrilled too...even though he would never admit it.
Sounds like it was a meeting that was a lifetime memory for you. Its great it was so casual and easy.
Wow! still in shock...
Look forward to hearing about the concert.
Mutti :roll: 8) :lol:
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
donalagata

Post by donalagata » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:42 pm

Mary,
You are one of the most fortunate women I know.... Not one but several pictures taken with Leonard . How I wish I knew where he was staying in Chicago... The odds of meeting him are next to impossible but honey you beat the odds. How wonderful for you and I am very happy for you....

donalagata

Return to “Comments & Questions”