Leonard's Recent Meetings with Cohenites

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
hydriot

Re: Leonard's Recent Meetings with Cohenites

Post by hydriot » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:30 pm

I have just added Darling's remarkable meeting with Leonard back on 30 May 2008 in Saguenay. Thanks to Womanfromaroom for finding me this link..
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
hydriot

Post by hydriot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:59 pm

Chrissie01's breakfast meeting with Leonard on 12 July after the Weybridge concert has just be added. Anyone who has the good fortune to meet up with Leonard, please pm me so it can be added to this thread.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:33 pm

Anne and Chrissie ~ I loved your meetings and photos :D :D !! How wonderful that your mother was able to meet Leonard, too 8) :D ! Your setlist is so beautiful... where did you get it? To have both Leonard and Sharon sign it... perfect! Chrissie ~ You're clearly over the moon :D !! I was wondering if that guy in grey with the shoulder satchel-bag rushing by had any idea what was going on. I was so glad to see him turn around and appreciate the moment 8) . Great day for each of you 8) !

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
hydriot

Post by hydriot » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:41 pm

Also recently added: MaryB's meeting in Hamilton way back on 5 June 2008.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:13 pm

Thank you hydriot!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:17 am

It has been wonderful reading all these stories. I hope I can add one maybe from Barcelona :) . I did linger at his Dublin hotel for 2 mornings ( getting up at 6am lol) but I did not meet Mr Cohen. I met Dino and I knew he was still in the building but I had to leave to be in work for 9 30am.

Here's hopin'

and yes I know the trick now. Don't look for him :)
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:42 am

Or, Tinderella, just manage to convince yourself that you are not looking anymore (although, of course, you are)... That is how it worked with us, my mum and me: The very minute we were determined to leave, we made it! Destiny? Those strange antique gods up there? Don't know, it all still seems surreal to me... But one thing I DO know: That you really deserve an encounter with the man! ;-)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:59 am

tinderella wrote:Here's hopin'
and yes I know the trick now. Don't look for him :)
Tinderella,

May I join you in your search not to look for him in Barcelona ;-) :lol: ?

Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote:You know the funny thing is: I don't think I DO want to meet Leonard. Over the years he has reached such iconic status in my mind that if I did have the chance to meet him or spotted him out and about somewhere I would not have a clue what to say to him. The usual platitudes - great concert last night, I've admired your work for 40 years etc etc - just seem so inadequate. I've come across a lot of musicians at various events over the years and never have a problem talking to them as equals. However, I could never feel that way about a chat with Leonard. Once a 14 year old with a crush, always a 14 year-old with a crush I suppose ...

Wendy
Remember this? A lot of people commented on it at the time I posted it. Well, I lied!

It finally happened, yesterday morning at the hotel in Nimes. I knew the band were staying in the same hotel as me as I had seen quite a few of them over the previous 24 hours walking backwards and forwards to and from the hotel and at breakfast on Friday morning. I had also seen the chauffeured vehicle that whisked Leonard away from Les Arenes after the show outside the hotel when I arrived back on Thursday evening though there was, alas, no sign of Leonard. There was still no sign of him the next morning. I was convinced they had already left and consoled myself with the thought that I had spent the night under the same roof as Leonard.

Then it happened. I was on my way back to my room from my final sightseeing trip to collect my things for check out when I spotted HIM, just coming out of the breakfast room with Roscoe. I knew then that I HAD to speak to him. I was not struck dumb; far from it. I babbled. I came out with the usual platitudes about how much the tour has meant to me since I saw my first show back in Halifax NS, thanked him for going back out on the road and expressed the wish that they do not tour in 2010 so my bank balance and credit card can recover a little. All the while, Leonard held my hand firmly in his and maintained full eye contact whilst Roscoe looked on. Leonard has been in these situations thousands of times and he's heard it all before but he made me feel so special and that he cared. Such is the power of the man.

But that's not quite all. I spoke to him not once but twice more the same morning!! When I got back down to the lobby with my suitcase, most of the band were there getting ready to set off of Monaco. I resolved to ask them all in turn to sign the setlist I had managed to get the previous evening. I checked out and then, as I took the setlist out of my bag, Leonard walked in to the lobby, besuited and behatted as always and with a guitar bag over his shoulder. He sat down a few steps away from me on the little wall opposite the reception desk. I'm afraid I forgot about the other band members and just asked him if he would mind signing the setlist for me. Again, he was totally gracious and we chatted a little more. I thanked him and went to sit at the oppoosite end of the lobby to wait for the airport bus - I didn't want to crowd the band (scratch that, I DID want to but didn't THINK I should!) but Roscoe then came over and chatted to me whilst we were all waiting. As they all headed out and Leonard passed my way, he waived, and wished me a safe journey and said something like "come and say hello in Barcelona".

I have no photos as I was on my own and anyway, somehow it would have spoilt the moment to get my camera out and ask him for a picture. BUT I do have a signed setlist to prove to myself that I did not dream it all and memories of his hand holding mine, eyes looking in to mine whilst I babbled for Britain, that I will cherish for ever.

Once a 14 year old with a crush, always a 14 year-old with a crush ...

Wendy
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:17 pm

mr.midnight wrote:And if the person who had the 14 year old crush met him for an autograph, it's better to say a little something rather than nothing.
Just to be clear: mine is no 14 year old crush; this is a 40 year old crush! It just started when I was 14 .....

"I loved you for a long, long time
I know this love is real ...."

Fortunately, my husband of 35 years is very understanding and was very happy for me when I rang to tell him about my encounters!

Wendy
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:51 am

Wendy,

I am positively THRILLED for you :D :D :D ! I loved reading your encounter with him! I'm sure you didn't 'babble' (we all say we do, because at that special moment we can't get our thoughts together) and said all the right things. So much for thinking you would not want to meet him :roll: .

So did you tell him you were going to Barcelona and to keep an eye out for you ;-) ? And did you get the whole band to sign your setlist?

Warmest regards,
Mary
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:41 pm

Mary - thanks for your reassuring words. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly how the conversations went - it's all a bit of a blur - though I'm positive I had far more to say than Leonard did! I think he asked me if I was planning to go to any more concerts so I mentioned Barcelona + Vegas & San Jose.

I just got Leonard to sign the setlist in the end. I felt a bit embarrassed at accosting them when they were getting ready to leave so I just said goodbye and headed off to the corner to wait for my own transport.

Wendy
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:00 am

Wendy! This is SO wonderful. What a thrill for you and I think it's almost as much for those of us reading your encounter! No, I take that back...nothing would be like the real thing! You definitely deserved the moments with him after all these years. Even if you did babble, it's a sign of the generosity and goodness of Leonard that he would intently listen to your every word and not take his eyes off you....like at that moment, the most important thing he could be doing is listening to you and holding your hand...omg. You lucky woman!

And...I'll wager that if there is another accidental encounter in Barcelona, he will remember you!

Take care,
Diana
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:16 am

[Tenderly] Ohhhhhh, Wendy... what a beautiful account of a beautiful meeting with Leonard. I am so immensely happy for you. You handled it all so well, keeping your priorities straight; and Leonard did the same with your eyes and your hand. Really beautiful. Those moments cannot be duplicated. I'm so happy for you. Here's to you, Leonard, Barcelona, Las Vegas, and San Jose.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:08 pm

Womanfromaroom, you have given me hope and thanks so much for saying that I shoulddddddddddd meet him lol. Maryb of course you can join me in not looking for him in Barcelona :)

Return to “Comments & Questions”