Leonard's Recent Meetings with Cohenites

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
caz

Re: Leonard's Recent Meetings with Cohenites

Post by caz » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:14 am

Hi again Ruth

Yes, the sun did come out eventually didn't it? By that time we figured we might as well stay in the station.

It was such a shame to have been so near and not realising it. I console myself with the thought that I did meet him once, in 1976, after I'd gone the following morning to the one hotel in Sheffield I thought he might be staying in after the concert. I'd guessed correctly and eventually he came out, alone: as I approached him the doorman stepped forward to stop me. Leonard told him it was OK and then invited me to sit on a nearby wall with him where we chatted for a few brief minutes and he signed my programme (I have since lost this - can you believe it?!).

I might not have any hard evidence of my meeting but I have the memory which is so special - as indeed yours is and will be in the years to come. Once again: I'm thrilled for you.

Carole
brightnow

Post by brightnow » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:00 am

Thanks for sharing Ruth, it is always amazing to read these stories, our faith in the man and his legendary generosity confirmed. So happy for you!
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
gilly-rjd

Post by gilly-rjd » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:21 pm

"So let me tell my story...." (BOLH)
This is a continuation from my Lille concert report.
I'd travelled to Lille on my own-this was a first, but no problems- had a fabulous day on the Saturday. Not much sleep Saturday night, awoke too early on the Sunday with a head-ache, enjoyed a generous typical French breakfast, then packed to leave. Didn't bother too much with my appearance as I was only travelling all day...
Arrived too early at the Eurostar station so thought I'd wander around a bit outside (fresh air good for headaches!). Noticed Rachel (holydove) and husband in window of nearby hotel having breakfast and they beckoned me in. We chatted and laughed a lot. I casually asked whether a certain Man was staying in the hotel, but I think she would have told me if he was. So I left and joined the queue at Eurostar. Behind me happened to be a lovely man and his 9-year old daughter, Maisie, who had sat behind me at the concert, so we were talking when somewhat_nifty joined us and whispered that Leonard was in the hotel directly opposite, the van was being loaded, they were leaving shortly, and she had just met him and he had signed her book.
The next instant, Tom, Maisie and myself were running up the escalator, raced across the road, and I, in my bedraggled, windswept state, tumbled through the hotel doors, looked up, and there he was.
I actually didn't know what to do, or say. But I eventually approached him, shook his hand, and asked if I could have a photograph. I gave Dino my camera, muttered something about wishing I'd washed/combed my hair; he said I looked fine. And so I have a couple of photographs of myself and Leonard. We chatted - he was generous with his time. I don't remember the exact conversation, but I remember telling him that I had loved him for 40 years, and he gave me a hug.
He also signed my set-list. Tom and Maisie then had his undivided attention.
He was everything I had imagined him to be - and more.
And so we said goodbye, wished him well, and returned to the station for our journey back to the UK.

Gilly
- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:19 pm

I'm just green with envy Gilly. I only wish we had arranged to meet up after our breakfasts. It was certainly your lucky weekend, setlist as well! It was lovely to meet you.
Next stop LV for you? ;-)
Jill
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
lorcamaria

Post by lorcamaria » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:25 pm

Oh how lovely Gilly, you lucky lucky girl! :D
Maria

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering,
There is a crack in everything, that's how the Light gets in.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:15 pm

What a great photo Gilly :D So pleased you were able to see him too, and Tom and Maisie.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
gilly-rjd

Post by gilly-rjd » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:26 pm

mydoglorca wrote: I only wish we had arranged to meet up after our breakfasts.
Next stop LV for you? ;-)
Jill
Yes, we should have done that - it would have been nice to have shared the moment with you both. Thanks for your company, and I appreciate you both seeing me back to my hotel safely on Saturday night.
As for Las Vegas, well, it keeps going through my mind - I can't bear the thought of never going to another L.C. concert. What about you? If you fly, then so will I......
Gilly
- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham

Return to “Comments & Questions”