About LC not singing, If It Be Your Will...

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Rabbit

Re: About LC not singing, If It Be Your Will...

Post by Rabbit »

To me it mattered not that Leonard didn't sing If It Be Your Will because the truly sublime Webb sisters made it their own in extraordinary fashion. Their exquisite harmonies quite affected me and the sound they made rang in my ears long after the concert.

The instrumental members of the band often had a turn to shine on their own, and it only seemed fitting that the vocalists might also have their moment.

And Leonard's pleasure in their performance is obvious in the attitude he adopts as he stands in the shadows, hat clasped to his chest, eyes closed. At the very least let us indulge him. He's out there giving us his everything.
hershey

Post by hershey »

Totally right, Rabbit. -- let's move on now and keep the amazing concerts as they are now, with all 9 band members shining with Leonard and Leonard loving his team shining too. Leonard doesn't want his concert to be him and 9 anonymous back up people. Individuals empowered and featured, helps the vibe of everyone shining. And is probably commercially important to team members too !
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain »

I know I'm completely ignorant, I admit it.

I'm just glad to know that if there were two doors, one leading to a room with LC and a guitar, and the other leading to a room with the whole rest of the band, you would all be in the other room. I would be alone in the room with Cohen. That's fine. I like small venues.

I'm just joking around. I do claim ignorance. I know you all are kind hearted. I am sure I seem, cold hearted and ungrateful. I promise I will shut up about it. And the next time, if I'm lucky enough to hear the Webb sisters sing, If It Be Your Will, I will be over the shock of not hearing LC sing it, since I know what's coming, and I will probably appreciate it even more. Actually, I think I saw fear on their faces when he introduced them to sing the song. It must be a hard task. I'm so sorry if I seem unkind.

I suppose you all are right. It's better for another time, another tour, another moment or not at all.

I just went to myspace to listen to him sing that song, it's a great version, it's a youtube link. And it's no longer available some copyright claim. The world must be trying to tell me something.

Why do I care so much about a song anyway? I give up.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Denise ~

No need for apologies. You care because you care. Nothing at all wrong with that. My default setting has always been hearing Leonard's originals to anyone's covers. The beauty of Blue Alert is that the way we heard them the first time was through both Leonard's and Anjani's words, voices, and music, in their collaborations. No point of reference other than what they created for us. The results astonishingly beautiful.

Conundrum unresolveable. Desire and Choice at odds. Worse could happen. I'll join you in the quiet zone about it. If Leonard should ever sing this phenomenal song for his audience[s], I know at least two who may be cheering the loudest and the longest... and without offense to the way we hear it now.

A shame about the YouTube link :( .

It was lovely meeting you in New York.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Denise,

Never give up! Look, he's touring, and how many of us thought that would happen. LC and everyone around him do pay attention to what is being said on this Forum. These comments must play a part in certain songs being added to his concerts. Maybe we'll get the best of both worlds and the Webb Sisters and LC will both perform (not just the LC intro) parts of the song :) !

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain »

Thanks for your kind words!

I meant that I give up here. I certainly don't give up in my heart!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Denise,

Don't even give up here! You started an extremely brain stimulating thread. Many of us are torn - the spiritual beauty of the Webb Sisters rendition and LC's seeming great appreciation of it and the overwhelming desire to hear and see the Master himself perform this great song which seems to be so close to his heart.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Box_of_Rain wrote:Actually, I think I saw fear on their faces when he introduced them to sing the song. It must be a hard task.
I think If It Be Your Will was first performed by the Webb Sisters at St John's on 23 May 2008, that is to say at the eleventh concert of the tour. In the eary days we had Closing Time instead. Presumably the Webb Sisters did not feel polished enough to play it before St John's.

My point is this. The chance to hear Leonard sing If It Be Your Will never was. The choice has only ever been If It Be Your Will sung by the Webb Sisters or Closing Time sung by everybody.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Hydriot,

I remember both songs being performed in Hamilton, Ontario :? . 'Closing Time' must have been replaced by something else somewhere along the line. Don't know what because there have been a number of changes made.

Best regards,
Mary
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

I'm sure almost everybody here will be familiar with "Undertow" from Dear Heather, where Leonard allows Anjani to step forward into the spotlight while his voice remains a quiet and soul-shaking rumble behind hers. I seem to remember either Leonard or Anjani describing how Leonard wasn't happy with his own efforts to nail the lead vocal, and when Anjani stepped into the booth to sing the backup he suddenly realised the song needed her out front. It certainly works in the context of that song. And yet it still seems very much a song by Leonard. He continues to loom large, as he seems to also when the Webb sisters sing If It Be Your Will.

And while I'd love to hear Leonard sing that beautiful song, I was so enthralled by the Webbs (and completely lovestruck by Charley in particular - OH! be still my pounding heart!) that it seemed to matter not that Leonard momentarily stepped away from the spotlight.
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

UrPal wrote:
If you want to hear LC do the song beautifully and recently in a quasi-live atmosphere (and in a form about as informal and personal as you get) check out the version he extemporised at the end of his interview on that Norwegian Radio thing a couple of years back. To be honest, after that anything else is likely to prove a disappointment anyway.
Urpal.

Your comments about this "extemporised" version made me curious but I could only find the text of this interview. No audio!

Any suggestions?

Merci beaucoup

Leonard from montreal....same name...same town...no Golden Voice
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain »

You don't actually think he doesn't sing it because he doesn't think he sings it well. You can't be saying that.

Rabbit is in-love, we got that straight.

I love how Hydroit wrote...the chance never was....the choice has only ever been...

I just thought it was cute.

And then somone wrote, it couldn't be matched to some other time. Who cares about matching? Who cares about perfection?

I'm trying to read between the lines here. Can we talk about now?

What I'm thinking, like I know anything, is that, maybe he's just not ready. He sure did a lot of shows last year. I checked that schedule. He's been on the stage quite a bit. Maybe he is saving it. To break it out down the road. I guess we can only guess and what's the point of that. I just thought you all would have some insight being the Cohenites that you are!

It was great the way you all stood up for the Webb sisters, that was a perfect response. That really showed your respect and love. Now can we get on to the truth.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Now can we get on to the truth.
The truth for me is that I take pleasure in seeing Leonard enjoying two beautiful women exquisitely singing his words. That is very much a part of the Leonard Cohen experience. And I don't know if Leonard feels he doesn't sing it well but I'm betting he feels he can't sing it like that.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That is very much a part of the Leonard Cohen experience.
And that's a point worth making, Marie. We see in no uncertain terms the pure pleasure Leonard experiences in the process.

So much for us, why not for him.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain »

Why would you even campare the way he sings it, to the way they sing it? Do you really think that is an issue?

It almost sounds like you think he is having some kind of selfish moment, the enjoyment of their performance. Do you really think that?

To me, he doesn't seem egotistical. Like he is high and mighty, doing them a favor, giving up his spotlight.

I'm not convinced.

It is interesting what you say about the "Cohen experience". Maybe what you mean is the Cohen experience is not about Cohen. It's about everyone! Wow. I certainly felt that at the Beacon. That's what I mean by saying he showed great appreciation for everyone in the band (not only the Webb sisters) and us too!

I am poking at you guys a little bit...I'm just trying to understand. Hope no one is offended.

Return to “Comments & Questions”