"Go clear" in Famous Blue Raincoat?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
hydriot

Re: " go clear?"

Post by hydriot »

estevan wrote:clearly
Not a word it is wise to use in relation to any of Leonard's work!
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
richard65

Re: "Go clear" in Famous Blue Raincoat?

Post by richard65 »

Hi
New here.
I am interested in whether LC has ever made public comment about scientology?
It is not an organization that I am a fan of.....
Thanks
Richard
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the board. I don't recall Leonard ever talking about Scientology in an interview, and I read all of his available interviews in the UK in the late 60s and early 70s. Also, I don't remember anything coming up about this when I helped Jim Devlin compile quotes on Leonard's beliefs and practices for the book "Leonard Cohen in his Own Words" (1998). In Ira Nadel's book "Various Positions" p.160, he tells how Leonard became involved with Scientology in 1968, and in June of that year was awarded a certificate known as a Grade IV - Release. However, after only a few months he apparently told his then partner, Joni Mitchell that "he was disenchanted and that he'd had some difficulty extricating himself from it". Soon after this Leonard met Roshi and had his initial involvement with Zen Buddhism.

All the best, John E
richard65

Post by richard65 »

As you probably know, OT {Operating Thetan}3 is "clear" status and generally time-consuming and expensive to reach. It is also a level at which many beliefs and information at withheld from the student. [Cruise,in his "wisdom", is an OT8 - or so I am informed].
I doubt that LC would ever have reached OT3.
However Co$ is likely to still retain a file on him including auditing information. This makes it difficult for any ex to speak out.
Sounds to me, may be wrong, that LC was a "searcher". Which is fine of course. Many of us spend a lifetime at this. It's a better journey if we are treated well along the way however.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
John Etherington

Hi Richard,

I've just noticed that I've already mentioned the Nadel passage earlier in this thread. I don't know a great deal about Scientology, but I know that they use the personality test to initially lure people in. I went to a Scientology concert in the 70s, which featured The Incredible String Band and Chick Corea among others. Everyone who attended was given a copy of "Dianetics", but I never got round to reading it. Both the Incredible String Band and Van Morrison (who joined in the 80s) seem to have pulled out fairly rapidly - even if they drew something worthwhile from it. I believe that some of the Scientology techniques fed into other systems such as NLP. However, since the stuff about Thetans got into circulation I guess many people would consider it to be " a crackpot religion"!

All good things, John E
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I read something once, can't remeber where, that when asked about Scientology Leonard said it wasn't
for him because they believe in "some crazy stuff". Does this sound familiar to you John?

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
John Etherington

friscogrl - This does ring a faint bell. I wonder how long it was (especially pre-internet) before scientology students were introduced to the alien/Thetan ideas?
richard65

Post by richard65 »

There is a well-known book "The Bare-Faced Messiah" by Russell Miller about Scientology and Ron Hubbard. Much of it you can read online.
Completing the "free" personality test referred to above, one which was constructed by an amateur, will be analysed and indicate that the "testee" needs Co$ help!!
Many of their "secrets" are now revealed of course - as well as their behaviours. However generally it is not the "recruit" who is at fault - but the organisation and its demands - all of which can be easily researched outside of this forum.
Seems that Cohen was astute enough, or together enough, to move on!
Casuarina

Post by Casuarina »

Why doesn't somebody actually ask Mr. Cohen what he was referring to?
That would solve the problem. I assumed it meant clear of drugs, as in 'clean'.
Olwen

Post by Olwen »

I am very late coming to this topic, but it was only after hearing the song again at the Leonard Cohen Event, Dublin 2014- that I heard the words 'go clear' again and realised it might have a connection to Scientology. Leonard Cohen met Suzanne Elrod , the mother of his children at a Scientology class in1969- so I think it may well have something to do with it. That was many years ago and Leonard has had a long journey to where he is now. Since then Buddhism has played a big part in his life. So if we are the sum of our life experiences , we move on and do not always keep with us things that might have been significant (or not) at a previous stage. This is my take on it anyway :D
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
dstegall53

Post by dstegall53 »

It is a term used to mean an escape from The Church of Scientology. From my reading, Olwen's reponce on 8/13/14 is correct about LC meeting Suzanne Elrod, the mother of their two children, in a Scientology Class. The only other comment I ever read LC speaking of Scientology is that he said "they had interesting data". I have read two biographies on LC and a book of dozens of interviews he gave over the years, as well both his novels and most of his poetry and, of course, every song he ever recorded. I had to study him to play the role of LC in a Rockumentary presentation "The History & Music of Leonard Cohen" at Workplay Theater in Birmingham, AL on 2/23/19. The show will be done again at Smith's Olde Bar in Atlanta 10/24/19. Our band is the only U.S. based Leonard Cohen cover band (or so we have been told and we're going with it!)
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

dstegall, the show sounds intriguing, wish I was closer to Atlanta and could see it.

What Cohen songs does your band cover? If available, would love see a video or two.

Good luck on October 24!

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Fever905

Re: " go clear?"

Post by Fever905 »

anneporter wrote: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:47 pm so we've got about 8 more years of work to do.
Anne - did you ever finish the tarot set?

Mike/Ontario
ZingPowZing

Post by ZingPowZing »

I think "go clear" means suicide.

It makes sense of the rest of the lyrics and the mournful tone: you cannot compete for affection with a dead person. So the "letter" is posted for the other side of life.
Doctor Bob

Post by Doctor Bob »

Casuarina wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:31 pm I assumed it meant clear of drugs, as in 'clean'.
I always thought it meant getting off drugs too. I assumed that for many years until I came across the phrase's Scientology implications and now I would go along with that interpretation.
We weren't lovers like that and besides it would still be alright...

Return to “Comments & Questions”