Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lizzytysh

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:07 am

oh, that's GREAT, marianne 8) :D ... those student loans come payable soon enough. happy to see you'll have such great memories to come along with your payments. it's just so necessary to have access to that money when you NEED it! hopefully, your friends will grow into it and into leonard and your own great taste in time enough to see leonard in concert, too... i'm so happy for you that YOU again will be! let us know what you think when you do :) . Welcome to the Forum :D
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:25 am

Hi Lazysuit ~ I really like your name... welcome to the forum, too :D . i'm glad you've decided to introduce yourself this time, and that last time an angel here was able to help you out. you're right on this being such a warm place... hopefully, you'll share with us your experience of seeing leonard, again. his latest record is so incredible, isn't it.
~ Oscar Wilde
SuffolkLass

Post by SuffolkLass » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Hello everyone
I'm new to this forum in so far as I only joined a couple of weeks ago although I've been lurking for a few years now, ever since I discovered it existed. I'm not sure why I didn't join before, perhaps because I'm not a great poster, and am generally happy to read the posts of others (and take advantage of their links to youtube!). As I didn't look at all the topics I've only just realised this particular thread existed, so I thought I would introduce myself and say thank you to all of those who moderate this forum and do so much to make LC accessible to his fans.
I've been a fervent admirer since the late 1960s and saw LC in concert in Brussels in the 70s, what a dream come true. On his last tour I managed to get to Birmingham and to Tours and now I'm so excited as I'm going to the Hop Farm in September. This will be my first open-air concert and I'm really looking forward to the experience - even if it pours with rain. Nothing can dampen my admiration of Leonard and his band! Don't have great tickets, block A was sold out by the time I got my act together, but that doesn't matter - just being in the same environment as such a great performer is a real privilege. I didn't think that I'd be getting to see him in concert again and I'm so thrilled about it.
Am listening to Old Ideas as I type .... blissssssssssss
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:16 pm

SuffolkLass,

Thank you for sharing this info with us. I know you willl enjoy HopFarm, come rain or come shine. You have done what so many of us have done before you, been lurkers, and then finally got the courage to post, so welcome,welcome to the forum as an active poster :D

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Marlene J.

Post by Marlene J. » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:11 am

I'm a little late, but better late than never, yeah?

So anyway, hello, kind sirs and ladies. I'm Amalthea (after the 3rd closest moon of Jupiter), but my real name is Malene. I'm from Norway and I will turn 20 in a little over a month. I'm currently in my second year of high school (I attended a previous high school for two years, before applying to the one I attend now, which is why I'm traditionally a bit old for high school). I plan to take a BA in English language and literature, which will include a one-year program where I will study cultural (project) management. I'm really looking forward to it! My biggest dream is to start a small independent press or open a book café - or maybe both(!).

I've been a fan of Leonard since my early teens. Some of my favourite albums include Dear Heather and Songs Of Love And Hate. Some of my favourite songs are "Suzanne", "Letters", and also the short live song "Minute Prolouge". I will see Leonard live for the first time in August this year!

It's nice to meet you all, and I'm happy to be here on this forum. :)
2012: Fredriksten Fortress, Halden, Norway
Gabby

Post by Gabby » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:50 pm

Ok, I am a little late with this introduction as I joined up March '12, but I noticed lizzytysh suggested to another new member to do this so I thought why not!!
Gabby's my signature, my name is Gabrielle, (no avatar yet, not that computer-literate :oops: ) Have been a long time fan of Leonard ever since I first heard him and its growing stronger as time flies by. My concert CV is alot smaller compared to some members but I finally got to see the wonderful Mr LC in Dublin in 2008, (thanks, in a weird way, to an ex-'friend' of his, if you know what I mean!!?). I dragged my husband to that concert but, lo and behold, when we got home he was on the web site checking to see where we could see him next....so Madrid it was! I must admit did go to that concert with a little apprehension, only because I genuinely thought the wonderful (my words fail me here but those who were there know what I am trying to say) experience that was Kilmainham could never be repeated! But I could not have been so wrong, it was! I suppose that is the true genius of Mr C et al. My husband is now a well and truly fully paid up fan and I do believe one of our sons is borrowing my LC CD's...one more son to show the light to and my work here is done :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers new Cohenites, I look forward to maybe meeting up with a few of you in Ghent and/or Dublin!!

P.S. Almost 8 o'clock now, glass of wine anyone??? ;-)
Marlene J.

Post by Marlene J. » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:51 am

Welcome to the forum, Gabrielle! :D

My concert CV is also small (actually non-existent), but the important thing is that we all share the love for LC, right? ;-) Anyway, I wanted to propose, if you want to, to make an icon for you which you can use on forum. If you are interested, just PM (private message) me the link to the photo you would like to have as an avatar, and I will take care of the rest for you. :-)

Cheers!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:57 am

Hi Gabby ~ That's great! I'm glad you saw and took that suggestion 8) . Ahhhh. How satisfying that kind of conversion with your husband. I love it :D !! I won't be at either of those, but perhaps somewhere else along the way, I'll get to meet you. One down, one to go... your son will be along in no time ;-) .

Hi Amalthea ~ I've said hi to you elsewhere, but I'll say hi to you, again. you'll find that with time, growth, and circumstances, your favourites will keep shifting. a right surprize, right? ;-) Your studies will be perfect for your love of Leonard Cohen.

Hi SuffolkLass ~ I'm glad you found your way to this thread, and that you found this Forum, albeit a few years ago, and are joining in now. A fervent admirer might be a good alternative for "fan," eh? I like the phrase. Glad to have you here. Ha. There's just something about the NAME ~ Hop Farm ~ that makes it sound like it will be a fun time for everyone. let us know!

Ah... I just read Amalthea's offer to you, Gabby... someone who used to be here did that for me and made two different ones. WHAT a blessing! I still have the other as an alternative. I used it for awhile and then switched. That's great of you, Amalthea :D

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Gabby

Post by Gabby » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Greetings Amalthea,

Many thanks for your kind offer to help the hopeless, it's gratefully appreciated, believe me!!! I shall spend some time trawling the net for something that captures the true essence of me ( :shock: .... oh boy, this is going to be fun!!!.) Once I find it I shall PM you, (see, I'm getting into the lingo already) and you can work your magic!
Cheers, look forward to chatting to you again in the new future, :D

Hi Lizzytysh, Good to chat again to you. Yes, I agree, Amalthea's offer is a blessing and your idea of two is splendid, one for when I'm a sweet old dear.....and the other for when I'm not!!!

Cheers again, x
Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:41 am

Hi Gabby, I am also new to the forum. It sounds like you and I have similar stories. My husband surprised me with suggesting that we attend two concerts also! I have one son who has discovered LC with a little help from me and love him and one son who questions my taste in music. Well, I'm sure he will come around. We are attending concerts in Verona and Paris. So excited!
Barbara
we are so lightly here
it is in love that we are born--in love we disappear

Verona 2012, Paris 2012, Detroit 2012, Boston 2012, Miami 2013, New Orleans 2013
Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:56 am

Hello Amalthea,
Welcome from one newcomer to another. I loved your explanation about tattoo's and no regrets. Sometimes when we get older we need to be reminded of our youth and how we viewed things when we were 20. Not so different from you I think.
I would love some help with my avatar. I tried and tried to attach one to my profile but I guess I just don't know how. I couldn't get it 'small enough'.
I look forward to seeing you on the posts.
Barbara
we are so lightly here
it is in love that we are born--in love we disappear

Verona 2012, Paris 2012, Detroit 2012, Boston 2012, Miami 2013, New Orleans 2013
B4real

Post by B4real » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:33 am

Hydrogal wrote:I would love some help with my avatar. I tried and tried to attach one to my profile but I guess I just don't know how. I couldn't get it 'small enough'.
Hi Hydrogal,
Before you can add your avatar firstly you must make it smaller and no larger than the Maximum dimensions; width: 80 pixels, height: 80 pixels, file size: 6.00 KiB specified in the 'edit avatar' section of your profile. Use any photo-resizing software programme you may have like Photoshop Elements before you come here to try to add it. If you don't have one there are free programmes on the net. Hope that has helped.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Marlene J.

Post by Marlene J. » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:43 am

@Hydrogal: I sent you a PM, but looka like B4real explained what you need to do. (I'm not very good at explaining how to do things, I'm afraid.) If you still have troubles however, I'm more than happy to help you further with whatever you need, as I explained in the PM. :-)
B4real

Post by B4real » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 am

Hi Amalthea and Hydrogal,

Sorry Amalthea, if I jumped the gun here!
....let's hope we both have helped. 8)

and Hydrogal, here's a link for a free photo image re-sizer if you are using windows xp.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/wind ... s-xp?T1=PT

Oh, and I almost forgot; welcome from me too and I hope you both stick around for a while.
I can tell you that it will be worth your while. :D
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
GeorgeThomas

Post by GeorgeThomas » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi, I'm another new joiner who came across this forum by serendipity a couple of days ago whilst looking for something else; I never know where I'll end up when I enter google's labyrinth.
I've been an admirer of Mr Cohen, his poetry and music since 1968 and have seen him in performance a few times since then. I won't claim to be a true fan in the way that my wife is, a true obsessive, I think she's always thought that she's only with me until Leonard comes to whisk her away. However that's not deterred me from admiring his talent for lyrics and music as well as his personality. I was truly bowled over by his sincerity and obvious delight with the audience reactions when I saw him a couple of times on the last tour.
I'd just like to add a mention of the musicians who tour with him, he is able to assemble artists who mesh together seamlessly and are able to spin their own webb of interpretation to surround and support Leonard's voice whilst keeping their individual inspired performances yet it's never a stage of competing egos.
This time I'll be there at Verona.

Return to “Comments & Questions”