Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Olwen

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by Olwen »

The Leonard Cohen event is taking place in Dublin, Ireland, in August 2014- check out the Leonard Cohen Event on the forum. Leonard wont be there but it will be a weekend of meeting up for Leonard Fans with events taking place. Register now! :D
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

What is this doing here, Olwen? You are not new to the forum.
(I have already responded to your similar msg. on "everything else".)

Of course the moderators won't mind, probably, as you're cheerleading for an LC event!
Now if your comment was in any way critical, that would be different...
Ring the bells that still can ring...
marin

Hello! I'm new

Post by marin »

Hello!
I'm new to this forum. I used to listen to Leonard Cohen in my 20s and 30s. His music and words accompanied my feelings and thoughts, above all when I felt and I needed to be alone. Now I am in my 50s and to hear him again and see him so smart, natural and wonderful has been really moving for me. I even cried listening to his voice always so beautiful and even more powerful. I think he is a man who has always lived somewhere else to have so deep visions and feelings.
Nice Sunday for everyone.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Welcome, marin! Your message and introduction are most welcome, as are you, to the Forum :D .
It sounds as though you've managed to see Leonard perform in person now 8) .

~ Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
AlanF

Post by AlanF »

Hi

Just to say a quick hello to everyone as I've just joined the forum.

My name is Alan, I've been a Leonard Cohen fan for more years than I care to remember, first saw him in Preston (UK) in 1979 last saw him in August this year in Manchester, where he was superb.

Merry Christmas, Happy holidays and a Happy New Year to all :D
I was going to buy a book called "The Power of Positive Thinking", and then I thought: What good would that do?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

A very warm welcome to you, Alan.
You've landed in the right place.
With your close proximity, will you be joining us in Dublin for the 2014 Leonard Cohen Event?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
el jara

Post by el jara »

HI...
my name is Arturo Jara from Mexico City.
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum members.

Been a fan from mr. Cohen since I heard (circa 1990) First we take Manhattan.
On that days without internet there were too little information about LC, specially because
the radio shows in Mexico are always playing TOP HITS and commercial stuff.
A couple of years later a friend of mine give me as a gift the I AM YOUR FAN TRIBUTE ALBUM.
He didn't like it and as "one day you mentioned "this leonard cohen" guy" he gave it to me.
Great cover album with a lot of bands I liked... and with a little research and some trips to local
stores I was able to get some of the albums. And since then LC have been on my top 5 artists.

My favorite song is (as for now) A thousand kisses deep (the full poem... that is the song and the recitation).

I hope one day I can see Leonard performing live (in Mexico or in any other part of the world - i even started a petition to the
most important promotor in Mexico so they can bring LC to perform here but.... *sigh LOL).

Well, i guess this is for now... i don't want get you bored.
take care...
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Arturo,

It is never boring to hear a new member's story of their introduction to LC. I do hope that one day you will be able to see him perform onstage. Welcome to the forum!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Arturo ~

Welcome from me, too :D . Was going to assure you the same as Mary did regarding your posting not being boring at all... but since already has, I'll just second it!

I, too, seriously hope you can see Leonard one day... perhaps, given your location, you might be able to travel to see him sometime in California or Arizona?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
el jara

Post by el jara »

Mary and Lizzy

Thanks for your welcoming.

Last Year i was planning to travel to the States to attend a gig but couldn't make it.
Next tour... i will... promise!!!

:D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And you'll be so glad that you made whatever sacrifices you needed to, in order to make that happen!
Hope to meet you somewhere along the way :D
~ Oscar Wilde
Irabit

Post by Irabit »

Hello, My name is Irina, I am from St.Petersburg Russia but live in US now.
I am new not only to the Forum but to Leonard Cohen himself too.
I've heard him before, but First time I really hear him a few month ago. it was with song "Dance me to the end of love"
His voice totally captured me and deeply touched my heart. Instantly I was fascinated and wanted to learn more and more and more about that incredible artist. So for the last few month his voice, his songs became to be a part of my life. I listen His songs again and again, tirelessly. Sometime with tears streaming on my face, sometime with smile, but never indifferent. I am glad Pandora has listed Lyrics now. It helps me to go deeper into the songs.
So when I found this Forum, I knew this is a right place for me. The place where I can find a lot of valuable information and be a part of the people, who are touched by the Soul of the Great Artist Leonard Cohen.
Irina
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Irina, it's delightful to hear your lovely touching story of discovering Leonard, catching up with his music, and it becoming so much a part of your psyche... and of course to have you join us here. 8)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

My warm welcome to you, too, Irina. Such an inspiring account of your discovery... one which so MANY of us understand. Since you're in the U.S., perhaps, when 2016 comes around, you'll be able to attend the Leonard Cohen Event [Leonard not there], which appears it will be in Edmonton, Canada. It would be lovely to meet you... and for you to meet others from here. Meanwhile, welcome :D

~ Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
Irabit

Post by Irabit »

Thank you so much for warm welcoming!
And thank you for letting know about 2016 Canada event. I read about Ireland's one. Sounds very appealing. But not for me this year. Who knows, maybe in a couple of years in Canada ?

Return to “Comments & Questions”