Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lizzytysh

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm glad to hear that you took that opportunity before and sorry that you won't be seeing him this time. I'm not seeing him as much this time as I would like. Am hoping he'll just keep touring.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
HelenOE

Postby HelenOE » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:38 am

Hello, I'm Helen from Southern California, and I finally discovered Leonard Cohen this year. Drove from Greater Los Angeles (greater what? Greater traffic jams!) to Oakland for my first concert March 2. Wonderful. Worth every minute on the highway.

I am a professional interpreter, and came across a very nice article on Cohen in Spanish; the editors of the online magazine where I found it gave me permission to translate it. Now that the translation is almost done, I am wondering, what would be the best thing to do with it, so that it can reach the widest number of fans possible?
lpfreak1170

Postby lpfreak1170 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:18 pm

lizzytysh wrote: Welcome, lpfreak1170 [I, too, LOVE lp's!] :D
You SAID it with this!
" Leonard is one of the very few artists that I will pick up their new album without hearing a single note."

I'm so very happy for you that you'll be seeing Leonard... and am glad you found us, too. Hope you'll give us a report of your experience and impressions after you see him in Memphis. There are sections up in the higher sections, where people share their personal reactions to seeing him... and to FINALLY seeing him 8) . Glad to hear that the venue is so great! Tom Waits is one of Leonard's own favourite performers.
Thank you very much for the welcome. I can't believe it's tomorrow night! I will indeed give you a report (although I'm not the best at expressing myself).
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:16 am

lpfreak1170 wrote: I will indeed give you a report (although I'm not the best at expressing myself).
Whatever you give us will be much appreciated!

Welcome lpfreak and Helen and TeaOrange!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Car0line

Postby Car0line » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:44 am

Hello everyone!
I'm Caroline (23, Belgium). I started listening to Leonard Cohen's music a while AFTER all his concert in Ghent (Sint-Pietersplein). I think the first time I heard Leonard Cohen's music was when Belgian singer Yasmine covered Suzanne. I realized I had to start listening to his music somewhere in 2011, but it took me some time to get to it... I finally did buy an album after I watched a somewhat haunting episode of Criminal Minds where they used a couple of his songs. Once I realized I loved his music, I was afraid that I had missed out on all the golden opportunities to watch Leonard Cohen live, since he's been in Belgium so often the last couple of years, but I'm super excited that he will be in Antwerp next June. I also would like to thank the people that made the presale possible, because I can't remember the last time I experienced so little stress to actually get my concert tickets. :D Thank you!!!
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Welcome to the Forum, CarOline ~

I love it that you're younger because of the implications of Leonard's music carrying on after we're gone. Glad you finally got caught up with his music, too. Especially appreciate that you took advantage of Jarkko and everyone else's generousity in offering u the pre-sale, and then returned to introduce yourself and, hopefully, participate in some of the many postings and other activities that are offered here. I love to see the Forum grow.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Car0line

Postby Car0line » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome, Lizzy!
elizabeth925

Postby elizabeth925 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi,
My name is Elizabeth (Lizzie). I just saw Mr. Cohen and the band Tuesday evening in Wallingford. I was a fan before the concert (my first LC show), but now I feel even more connected to the songs. Isn't it beautiful to witness how a song transforms when it's live? The experience lifted me up mind, body, and spirit. Thankful and glad to "meet" all of you. Have a lovely day.
denise knowles

Postby denise knowles » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Lizzytish

Please to see you keeping up your good work welcoming new people to the forum, I remember it being very daunting when I first joined, and your warm welcome brought me into the fold. Do you remember we both welcome someone on here, and YL thought we were taking to ourselves, because she turned out to be bogus. LOL

Welcome to the forum CarOline, I am always happy to know, when us old ones have gone LC work will carry on.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi Denise!!!

Hmmmm. YL has never seemed one to assume other identities, but that does cause a raised eyebrow of possibility :razz: , doesn't it :) . I'd forgotten that, but your recollection of it brought it back to me, too. Thanks for remembering the other, too :) .

I'm right behind Denise in welcoming you, too, Elizabeth/Lizzie. She's so right in how much heart we take in newcomers, as Leonard's legacy is being created 8) .

And you're welcome, CarOline :D

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
anny

Postby anny » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:34 pm

hello everybody, I'm kind of new on this forum (joined febr.2013) but didn't introduce myself (stagefright :oops: )
although I've been reading the forum since a long time. thks to my children I'm here now
my son for the cd's/dvd's-my daughter for the concert tickets and making to join this forum.
I closed mr.cohen in my heart since the late sixties but always feld alone with this (except my children)
I thought I was the crazy one behaving like a teenager, but thks to this forum it proves me I'm wrong
it's so heartwarming to read all the comments and thank you l.cohen for sharing your wisdom aswell your spiritual
wisdom with us through this forum.

oh, by the way... thks to the pre-sale we have very good tickets for antwerp june23th (that was sooooo exciting !) :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D
hormoaner

Postby hormoaner » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:47 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm a 29 year old Leonard Cohen fan, originally from Belgium, but currently living in Switzerland. I grew up listening to LC as my mom used to play the LPs as I was a kid. These LPs are still spinning, but now on my turntable! I think I became an even bigger fan then my mother, and have rediscovered every note from the different albums.

I was so impatient to see LC for the first time live in concert in Antwerp in 2009 - after all those years hoping for a return on stage. What a wonderful experience, overwhelming... In 2010 I saw Leonard in Grenoble, and I managed to get a front row ticket for the Montreux Jazz festival upcoming July - can't wait!

Thanks to all for contributing to this forum, and as LC would say "for keeping his music alive".

Peter
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:36 pm

Peter,

It's wonderful to have you here. Your mother taught you well :D Congratulations on your first row ticket for Montreux. I think you will find that this experience gives another whole new dimension to his concert. Will be looking forward to your review of the concert. Enjoy and welcome to the forum!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
rags and feathers

Postby rags and feathers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:54 pm

Hello everyone, I'm from Scotland & I've loved Leonard Cohen's music for years, though I must confess to never having seen him perform live. I really would love to do that some day. My main hobbies are music, voice & poetry. Leonard ticks all these boxes in such a unique way that's so relaxing and stirring at the same time - love it! I look forward to chatting with you all & learning more as I go. I was reminded of something yesterday that I'd forgotten. On the' lyrics that always get you' topic someone had posted the lyrics 'my mirrored twin my next of kin, I'd know you in my sleep' and I thought ahhh, it's funny how you can hear just a line or two and it touches something in you.

You came to me this morning and you handled me like meat.
You’d have to be a man to know how good that feels, how sweet.
My mirrored twin, my next of kin, I’d know you in my sleep
and who but you would take me in,
a thousand kisses deep.

:)
maphoner

Postby maphoner » Sun May 19, 2013 11:41 pm

:)

Hello all !! :D Delighted to have found this forum - Thanks to all organisers/moderators.

I'm writing from the townland of Maphoner in Co Armagh, Northern Ireland.

My introduction to LC was in my student days - a long time ago! - and interest was rekindled by receipt of Songs From The Road as a present.
I attended my first concert near the back at Kilmainham, Dublin in 2012. REALLY looking forward to Dublin 2013 (and hope to get better seats). ;-)
of course you say you can't complain

Return to “Comments & Questions”